+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reasons to extend your stay in canada as a visitor

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
hi... im a visitor here in canada together with my 1 yr old daughter and our staying here is about to expire. we need to get an extension to stay as a visitor and our reason is to be with my family....(my husband works here in canada) do u think they grant us an extension? what reasons should i give them so they can give us an extension to stay. i need you help pls.... thanks!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then your reason is, tell the truth....

"I want to stay with my family and wait for my PR application to complete".

Make sure that you include a copy of the PR receipt.

I did this and was granted a one year extension of stay (I had received previous visitor records).

Reactions: cabaar08

micah27andrea

Aug 5, 2011
Baloo said:
Then your reason is, tell the truth....

"I want to stay with my family and wait for my PR application to complete".

Make sure that you include a copy of the PR receipt.

I did this and was granted a one year extension of stay (I had received previous visitor records).
OK! thank you so much.... can i give them the receipt under the name of my husband because he's the one who paid and apply for our PR under the family class while we are in spain. thank you again.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
micah27andrea said:
OK! thank you so much.... can i give them the receipt under the name of my husband because he's the one who paid and apply for our PR under the family class while we are in spain. thank you again.
As long as it is a copy of the official receipt for the PR, it does not matter who paid for it.

Carlo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Recieved!
AOR Received.
Recieved!
File Transfer...
Done!
Med's Request
Recieved
Med's Done....
2011-04-15
Interview........
No!!!
Passport Req..
21/11/2011 Passport Request!!!
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting!!! :)
Hello Baloo,

My spouse (the sponsored person for residency on a tourist visa) and I (the sponsor) arrived to Canada a few months ago with our son ( a Canadian citizen). On the tourist application we said that my spouse with vacation in Canada for 2 months with my son and I. This was said so she could be granted the visitor visa. The real reason was so she could wait with my sone and I in Canada while applying "outland".
Now my question: Should I write on the tourist visa extension application form that the original reason was to vacation for 2 months even tho we used that explanation to be granted the tourist visa? or should we tell the officer that the original reason why we applied for the tourist visa was so she can land in Canada and wait with my son and I until she received her PR status?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no Canadian law that prevents you from changing your plans :)

When you complete "Details of Visit to Canada", describe the current reason that you want to extend the stay.
CIC already know the reason you applied previously.

Mel_R

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
28.9.11... Transferred to LA 07.12.11
Med's Done....
Interview........
Wavied!!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Hello All

This seems to be the best place to ask. My husband is coming up here in October to stay with me until his PR is granted. We have paid everything and I hope by the time October rolls around I'll be approved to sponsor him (Paperwork was received July 5). We plan on telling the Boarder Guard the truth that he wants to wait out the PR process. My question is will it be hard for him to get approved to stay? Or would it be better to apply before he gets here? Any advice would be awesome! We also have a 1 way ticket I think we should get a return ticket with the insurance that lets us change it if need be.

Thanks
Mel

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mel_R said:
Hello All

This seems to be the best place to ask. My husband is coming up here in October to stay with me until his PR is granted. We have paid everything and I hope by the time October rolls around I'll be approved to sponsor him (Paperwork was received July 5). We plan on telling the Boarder Guard the truth that he wants to wait out the PR process. My question is will it be hard for him to get approved to stay? Or would it be better to apply before he gets here? Any advice would be awesome! We also have a 1 way ticket I think we should get a return ticket with the insurance that lets us change it if need be.

Thanks
Mel
If you are going to do this I would suggest...

Have him and carry the receipt and as many items for the PR app as he can hold :)
Will you be traveling with him?

Remember there are no guarantees, but being truthful is the only sensible way.

Mel_R

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Wavied!!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Hello

He is flying into Syracuse airport and I'm going to pick him up and then we are driving over the Boarder. I have the receipt showing we paid our immigration fee and I'm going to phone the call centre and get my client ID# in the middle of Sept we should know if I'm approved by then. The second last time he came up here he said he wanted to stay 9 days and they gave him a month visa. He left after the 9 days like he said he was going to. So the last time they let him in with no problems.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this?

Thanks for your help Baloo

Melissa

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW Make sure that he does not bring masses of his "stuff" with him, IO's can be nasty about that.
Remember he is still visiting, not moving.

When you say "they gave him a month visa" do you mean a visitor record?

Is he a US citizen?

Mel_R

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Wavied!!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
BTW Make sure that he does not bring masses of his "stuff" with him, IO's can be nasty about that.
Remember he is still visiting, not moving.

When you say "they gave him a month visa" do you mean a visitor record?

Is he a US citizen?
Yes he is from the US. He's only coming with a backpack of clothes. We've been slowly moving things up whether it was me going down there and bring stuff back or him bring stuff up when he comes the last few items (computer, odds and end are being sent up by Fedex or UPS)

What I mean by they gave him a month visa is. When I went to pick him up the second last time he came for a visit. The boarder guard asked him how long he was staying he said 9 days. He also asked us how long we've been married etc etc We were then told to go into the Customs office. When we got in there we talked with another Boarder Guard, he asked pretty much the same question, when we told him my husband was only staying for 9 days he'd asked us if we had looked into the immigration process. We told him that we were still gathering things we needed for the paperwork (pay stubs from my employer, photos, etc etc) He again asked my husband how long he wanted to stay, we informed him he only has 9 days off from work. The Boarder Guard then gave us a temporary visa thing that they give you that says things like " You can not work in Canada or study this is just a visitor visa etc etc. He said this will let you extend for a month. My husband only stayed the 9 days like we had told him. This was end of Feb early March

The last time my husband came over for a visit which was end of May early June, we had no problems driving over the boarder. I want to be 100 % honest and just tell them that we'd like for him to stay the 6 months because by then a decision will have been made about our case. I have the receipts and hopefully by then a client ID number or I'm sure that the Boarder Guards will be able to see it. I just dont want him to be sent away I want to make sure we can ACTUALLY have him come stay with me while we wait for a decision even though we applied Outland.

Thanks for any advice or info you can give me

Mel

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mel_R said:
Yes he is from the US. He's only coming with a backpack of clothes. We've been slowly moving things up whether it was me going down there and bring stuff back or him bring stuff up when he comes the last few items (computer, odds and end are being sent up by Fedex or UPS)

Good idea.

What I mean by they gave him a month visa is. When I went to pick him up the second last time he came for a visit. The boarder guard asked him how long he was staying he said 9 days. He also asked us how long we've been married etc etc We were then told to go into the Customs office. When we got in there we talked with another Boarder Guard, he asked pretty much the same question, when we told him my husband was only staying for 9 days he'd asked us if we had looked into the immigration process. We told him that we were still gathering things we needed for the paperwork (pay stubs from my employer, photos, etc etc) He again asked my husband how long he wanted to stay, we informed him he only has 9 days off from work. The Boarder Guard then gave us a temporary visa thing that they give you that says things like " You can not work in Canada or study this is just a visitor visa etc etc. He said this will let you extend for a month. My husband only stayed the 9 days like we had told him. This was end of Feb early March

Did it look like the image in the link below?

The last time my husband came over for a visit which was end of May early June, we had no problems driving over the boarder. I want to be 100 % honest and just tell them that we'd like for him to stay the 6 months because by then a decision will have been made about our case. I have the receipts and hopefully by then a client ID number or I'm sure that the Boarder Guards will be able to see it. I just dont want him to be sent away I want to make sure we can ACTUALLY have him come stay with me while we wait for a decision even though we applied Outland.

You do not need the client Id, the border agent can give that to you :)
It is certainly legal to wait in Canada with an active permanent resident application, I and many others have done the same as you are suggesting.

Thanks for any advice or info you can give me

Mel
http://immipedia.ca/VR