+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapplying for Canadian Citizenship

iditroafa

Aug 26, 2013
Hi,
I have a situation about my Canadian citizenship application eligibility. In 2008, before I left Canada after living in the country for three years fully (meeting the requirement), I was still a minor, who applied under my mother's application. In 2011, we returned to Canada after being told we had an interview with an immigration judge, where we received the news that the judge ruled that my mother did not live in Canada for the required three years. We continued to stay in our original country due to family issues (my grandpa was ill in the hospital), but returned in 2011 to renew our PR cards. Now, in 2013, I am returning back to Canada officially for college. I will be 18 soon, and can apply myself.
My question is, do I have to wait another three years before I apply again for citizenship (where I don't leave the country for three years straight)? Or can I apply as soon as I'm 18 and that time from when I stayed in Canada previously still counts?
Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

iditroafa said:
Hi,
I have a situation about my Canadian citizenship application eligibility. In 2008, before I left Canada after living in the country for three years fully (meeting the requirement), I was still a minor, who applied under my mother's application. In 2011, we returned to Canada after being told we had an interview with an immigration judge, where we received the news that the judge ruled that my mother did not live in Canada for the required three years. We continued to stay in our original country due to family issues (my grandpa was ill in the hospital), but returned in 2011 to renew our PR cards. Now, in 2013, I am returning back to Canada officially for college. I will be 18 soon, and can apply myself.
My question is, do I have to wait another three years before I apply again for citizenship (where I don't leave the country for three years straight)? Or can I apply as soon as I'm 18 and that time from when I stayed in Canada previously still counts?
Thanks.
You require 3 years residency before you can apply for citizenship.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
You require 3 years residency before you can apply for citizenship.
And the residence has to be directly preceding the date of your application. You can't apply now based on your situation 5 years ago.

uncanny

Jun 12, 2013
iditroafa said:
Hi,
Thanks.
others have already answered your question so there remains no point in stating the same. However, i am curious as to why did the judge rule against you? You said your mom did live 3 years before applying then do you have any idea why the ruling was against you?

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
Your require 3 years in a 4 years period your previous time completed in Canada is irrelevant.

uncanny

Jun 12, 2013
OKK said:
Your require 3 years in a 4 years period your previous time completed in Canada is irrelevant.
i thought he said his mom applied in 2008 after fully completing the 3 years and he was as a minor on that application.
Did I understand something incorrectly? :s

I thought they left after the applying and then returned in 2011. They go 3 years back from date of application not from when you see a judge. Thats what I knew :s

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

uncanny said:
i thought he said his mom applied in 2008 after fully completing the 3 years and he was as a minor on that application.
Did I understand something incorrectly? :s

I thought they left after the applying and then returned in 2011. They go 3 years back from date of application not from when you see a judge. Thats what I knew :s
No, he was included in his mother application in 2008. The application was refused in 2011. They left Canada in 2008, returned for interview in 2011 and to renew PR cards and left again.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
so in other words he has to complete 3 years in 4 years period all over again and he for sure will be receiving that dreaded nasty RQ.

uncanny

Jun 12, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

No, he was included in his mother application in 2008. The application was refused in 2011. They left Canada in 2008, returned for interview in 2011 and to renew PR cards and left again.
hey thanks for clarifying but im still confused or rather inquisitive.

iditroafa said:
Hi,
I have a situation about my Canadian citizenship application eligibility. In 2008, before I left Canada after living in the country for three years fully (meeting the requirement), I was still a minor, who applied under my mother's application. In 2011, we returned to Canada after being told we had an interview with an immigration judge, where we received the news that the judge ruled that my mother did not live in Canada for the required three years.
didnt he say his mom actually lived in canada for 3 years, applied and then left? how does that make her 3 years time in canada, 'not spent in canada' as per the judge?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
uncanny said:
hey thanks for clarifying but im still confused or rather inquisitive.

didnt he say his mom actually lived in canada for 3 years, applied and then left? how does that make her 3 years time in canada, 'not spent in canada' as per the judge?
I think it's important to point out that the Original Poster is not responsible for their parent's application and was likely not in the position to know the whole story as a 12 or 13 year old. Asking them to account for their mother's possible errors or misrepresentations, or the judge's misjudgement, is both very personal and "above their pay grade" as a young teenager (at the time).

The question was about making an individual application based on individual circumstances to which they could attest. While they can't apply for citizenship now, I wish the poster lots of luck in University and hopefully they'll be in the position to reapply for citizenship in 3 or 4 years & receive it soon thereafter.

Good luck!