+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapply for Canada PR

Anu_sha_nkar

Dec 22, 2017
Hi,

I Did my MS in us and i am working in US as software engineer for 15 years. I am on H1b Visa.

I applied for canada PR in 2007, sent all documents, completed IELTS . I got my canadian PR in 2009 and completed landing formalities and have the PR card with me.

I came back to US and got busy here and did not go back to canada. My PR card also expired in 2014. I have not returned the PR card.

I am thinking of moving permanently to canada now.

How can i restart my PR process.
Is there a way to fast track the process.

Please let me know

Thanks
Anu

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The good news is you are still a Permenent resident, despite your PR card being expired. The bad news is there is the potential you could loose your PR status for failing to meet residency obligation. You can come to Canada, if you enter at a land border, your expired pr card won’t prevent entry. You could apply for a PRTD to fly in, but they will assess your residency obligation and likely revoke your pr status. You should read up in this forum for a better idea of what you can do and the possible options and repercussionscussions: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

Anu_sha_nkar

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks Buletruck. Is there a option to reapply for PR from scratch. Do i have to renounce my current PR status.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you do not feel comfortable taking the land border option and staying put for 2 years to reset your residency obligation, assuming you do not get reported, then you need to renounce your PR status. Once you have renounced then you can apply again from scratch.

viki_1118

Aug 15, 2018
Hi Anu,

I am looking for some information from your case. Can you tell if you get chance to reapply on your Canada PR.
I am on same boat and just want to check if you get any favorable option which you can share ?

Appreciate your time.

Regards,
viki