+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Really Need Some Advice

Student94

Mar 2, 2017
Hey, so I am currently a 4th year university student and I am in the process of applying to pharmacy school in Canada. I have a boyfriend who I have been with for 2 years now but he lives in another country. We are both ready to start our live together and I wanted to know if I am able to sponsor him as a conjugal sponsor eventhough I am still in school. I do work part time but i'm worried that the application might not get accepted because I am only working part time.

Another scenario is if I do not get into pharmacy school this means that as of june 2017. I will have an undergraduate degree and will be applying for a full time position. If this is the case, am I able to apply to sponsor him even though I will just be starting to work full time ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Student94 said:
Hey, so I am currently a 4th year university student and I am in the process of applying to pharmacy school in Canada. I have a boyfriend who I have been with for 2 years now but he lives in another country. We are both ready to start our live together and I wanted to know if I am able to sponsor him as a conjugal sponsor eventhough I am still in school. I do work part time but i'm worried that the application might not get accepted because I am only working part time.

Another scenario is if I do not get into pharmacy school this means that as of june 2017. I will have an undergraduate degree and will be applying for a full time position. If this is the case, am I able to apply to sponsor him even though I will just be starting to work full time ?
What are the legal and immigration barriers preventing you from marrying or becoming common-law?

Student94

Mar 2, 2017
Hey !

when i searched up common law on the immigration website it says you need to be living together, and since we live in different countries this is not possible. As for marriage, I wasn't sure if we would have to get married in Canada or where he is from...nonetheless wouldn't I still need to be able to show that I can support him? I am really just worried that if I get into pharmacy school that means I will still be in school and only working part time will prevent me from sponsoring him? If I dont get into pharmacy school and decide to get a full time will I be able to apply as a sponsor even though I have just started the full time job ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Student94 said:
Hey !

when i searched up common law on the immigration website it says you need to be living together, and since we live in different countries this is not possible. As for marriage, I wasn't sure if we would have to get married in Canada or where he is from...nonetheless wouldn't I still need to be able to show that I can support him? I am really just worried that if I get into pharmacy school that means I will still be in school and only working part time will prevent me from sponsoring him? If I dont get into pharmacy school and decide to get a full time will I be able to apply as a sponsor even though I have just started the full time job ?
You don't qualify as conjugal, so don't even think about it.

You must be either common-law or married in order to sponsor him for PR. If you can't become common-law, then your only choice is to get married. You can get married anywhere in the world.

Since there is no minimum income required to sponsor a spouse, it won't matter if you're in school or just starting a job at the time you can sponsor him.

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
As others have said, you neither fit the requirements for common-low, nor conjugal:

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/BoaCom/references/LegJur/Documents/SpoPar05_e.pdf

However, I thought there was some kind of financial means test for spousal sponsorship. I remember having to submit a letter of employment, Notice of Assessment for the previous year, last two paystubs, etc. They'd want some kind of assurance that the applicant won't go on social assurance, at least for the first three years.

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Yeah you need to show you can provide basic needs such as food, shelter and clothing... a lot of the time if the sponsor is a student or part time they'd get parents or other family members to write letters stating they'll provide support

rcspousalsponsorship

Star Member
Feb 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga to Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2017
Doc's Request.
PCC and Schedule A Feb 22, 2017
AOR Received.
Feb 22, 2017
File Transfer...
April 02, 2017
Passport Req..
Hope it'll be soon
Hi there,
You can apply as conjugal providing your relationship is just that(marriage like) it's not impossible, don't be discouraged. A conjugal relationship is a marriage-like relationship while physically living apart, a common law is the opposite (physically living together).
If your relationship is genuine and you've merged your lives together eg. Rental accommodations in both your names, bank account with both your names, insurance, utility bills and receipt made out in both your names, extended travel times spending much time together whenever possible. Family and friends know of your relationship and address you both as a couple eg invitations made out to both of you, social media display of relationship and family and friend aware of the relationship. Start by looking at the form and see if you fulfill the requirements and there's always a letter of explanation that can be included if you are unable to fulfill any requirements. Eg. I wasn't able to provide a NOA as they requested but I was able to provide a letter from work for my total earning for 2016 and bank statements (last 12 months)showing direct deposits and I provided a note to explanation that I wasn't able to provide the NOA since I have not completed by taxes in order to do so and I still met the requirement to sponsor. You may also want to call CIC 1-888-242-2100. As for financial eligibility, there's no set income for spouse to sponsor. CIC just want to ensure that you are not ineligible to sponsor eg. On welfare? Undergoing bankruptcy etc.(there is a checklist of questions that will let you know if your are ineligible) Worst case scenario if you apply and you don't qualify to sponsor at this time, you'll only loose $75( if you check to withdraw if found ineligible) and you can reapply at anytime. The choice is yours.

Student94

Mar 2, 2017
Thank you soo much for all this information. everything that you have said we have. I have a lot of evidence to prove that we have been serious for the past 2 years so I'm not worried about that it was more the financial aspect. I wasn't aware that family members can contribute as well I had to be the only one. In terms of marriage we just want to be together for a few years first before we head down this route, we want a big wedding and right now financially to get him here and do that will be a lot of money. I will call the number your provided so thank you very much ! This honestly made my day :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rcspousalsponsorship said:
You can apply as conjugal providing your relationship is just that(marriage like) it's not impossible, don't be discouraged.
Completely wrong.

As part of a conjugal app you must show legal or immigration barriers that make it impossible to become common-law or get married.

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
If you don't mind sharing, could you be a little more elaborate on what you mean by "been with for two years" and "been serious for the past 2 years"? Were you living together for those two years, or in a long-distance relationship? Are you male or female? Which country does your boyfriend live? What line of work is your b/f in?

Have you already discussed this with your parents, and are they willing and able to take on the responsibility? It goes beyond just letting you live together under their roof.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
Rob_TO said:
Completely wrong.

As part of a conjugal app you must show legal or immigration barriers that make it impossible to become common-law or get married.
I agree. With the limited information you have provided you do not qualify as conjugal. Do not be misled into a waste of time and money.

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
Student94 said:
Hey !

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. So, according to the part in red, you don't fit the definition of common-law. And the part in blue seems to indicate that there is nothing preventing you from getting married in either country (apart from finances). So that excludes conjugal.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Student94 said:
Thank you soo much for all this information. everything that you have said we have. I have a lot of evidence to prove that we have been serious for the past 2 years so I'm not worried about that it was more the financial aspect. I wasn't aware that family members can contribute as well I had to be the only one. In terms of marriage we just want to be together for a few years first before we head down this route, we want a big wedding and right now financially to get him here and do that will be a lot of money. I will call the number your provided so thank you very much ! This honestly made my day :)
You are listening to the one wrong person who is saying what you want to hear instead of the consensus from the rest of the posters...

Conjugal examples:

- a same-sex couple where the foreign partner is unable to get a TRV to come to Canada and lives in a country where homosexuality is illegal

- the foreign partner is Filipino, married to someone else in the Philippines where divorce and adultery are illegal and unable to get a TRV to canada

Again, you DON'T qualify as conjugal. Not wanting to marry or spend money on a wedding is NOT a legal/immigration barrier as in the situations above; it is simply your personal choice.

jennybenny

Sep 15, 2016
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2016, re-file 21-10-2016
AOR Received.
14-7-2016
Med's Done....
up front
Passport Req..
21-2-2017
LANDED..........
7-3-2017
Yup, there needs to be a significant barrier to marriage in order to qualify for conjugal. You can totally apply but it will be a big waste of time. If you plan on getting married in the future anyway, then just have a small civil ceremony before applying and plan for a big celebration in the future. You can get married in either country as Canada recognizes foreign marriages as legitimate.

Student94

Mar 2, 2017
wait_so_long said:
If you don't mind sharing, could you be a little more elaborate on what you mean by "been with for two years" and "been serious for the past 2 years"? Were you living together for those two years, or in a long-distance relationship? Are you male or female? Which country does your boyfriend live? What line of work is your b/f in?

Have you already discussed this with your parents, and are they willing and able to take on the responsibility? It goes beyond just letting you live together under their roof.
- we have been in a serious relationship for 2 years meaning we share bank accounts, we travel to other countries together, we attend family functions as a couple. No it has been a long distance relationship where I am always visiting him in st.lucia where he lives or we go to another country on a vacation. I am female. He is an immigration clerk