+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reality bites - Beware of Canada if you are coming from USA!

bz

Jun 25, 2009
I would like to share my opinion and I do not mean to discourage you of your Canadian dreams. I am entitled to my own opinion and everyone is. I mean no harm.

I decided to move to Canada because Canada is the country where I find immigration officers do objectively assess your papers as compared to US immigration where most of the time, they are subjective. This is the country that gave me PR unlike in the US where you need to wait for 5-10 years to get your GC done (again, that depends on the steps you need to do to get approved).

Despite the news that I heard and all the bad experiences of some people who migrated to Canada, I was so positive and hopeful that my boat will not run on their water. I should have listened and carefully weighed my options.

If you are coming from a developing/third world country, Canada is for sure a better country. However, if you are coming from the US it is like you're back to Abacus when infact you are already using a calculator. It is only now that I appreciate the US. US will give you job based on your skills. US does not care where you got your past experiences as long as you can do the job. I never felt this kind of frustration when I first landed in the US. When I got my Canadian PR, I was so proud and happy that I will be leaving the US because I will no longer be limited to what my immigration papers say. Now, I wish I could turn back the time...

Canada is beautiful, no doubt about it but they still have a lot to work on. The metro system here in Canada is so behind as compared to US. Prices are most of the time twice as much as the US. I am coming to a conclusion that the immigrants money is what fuels the Canadian economy! So think twice about your money. If you are coming from the US, you are lucky to be able to survive for a while but what about those coming from poor country?

I realize that maybe Canada needs skilled and educated immigrants to retain their image as peace loving and kind people.

I am an IT person and still can't get an interview call! I heard people got their first IT job after 6 months. I heard some decided to go back to school and get all the IT certifications known to man but still can't get a job! How fair is that?! Canada is so generous to provide loans for you to get back to school and after that only few percent were able to get their job. Remember, it is a loan.

If you are a big time IT person in your country and was lucky enough to get exposed to the real IT sense, you maybe lucky to get a job here. But let's face it, not all IT people here are like that. Some worked in small to medium size company in their country where resources and exposures are limited. Yes, we are IT managers and we did the job descriptions stated in the FSW requirements but if you think about it, some still lack the capacity and capability. So how can you compete? that's a big question.

I would like to end this post by saying I wish everyone the best. Weigh your options. Not all stories are like this however, I am speaking to the current situation - what is happening now not what was happening 3-5 years ago. You do not have a time machine to land here 3-5 years ago, you will land here at present time. These are realities that you have to think carefully. Again, I am not discouraging...I just want to let you know that sometimes, reality bites.

All the best!

CarribRN

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a well known fact though that Canadians are very particular with having a Canadian experience. It sucks but that's the truth and they are not trying to hide this. It has always been like that from ever since. So I suppose those trying to migrate to Canada knows this and have made the decision on their own to take the chances. Nobody said it is easy after all. Between the US and Canada though, I would prefer to have the downside of not finding a job outright but have a legal/PR status in Canada than be in the US illegally or be on working permit forever.

Pk09

Jul 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
CarribRN said:
It is a well known fact though that Canadians are very particular with having a Canadian experience. It sucks but that's the truth and they are not trying to hide this. It has always been like that from ever since. So I suppose those trying to migrate to Canada knows this and have made the decision on their own to take the chances. Nobody said it is easy after all. Between the US and Canada though, I would prefer to have the downside of not finding a job outright but have a legal/PR status in Canada than be in the US illegally or be on working permit forever.
true

Sans_May2010

Jun 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10, 2010
Doc's Request.
Sept 30, 2010
Nomination.....
Docs received at Visa Office on Oct 18, 2010
Med's Request
June 23, 2013 & April 7, 2014
Med's Done....
August 2, 2013 & March 10, 2014
Passport Req..
June 23, 2013 & April 7, 2014
Are you guys just talking about just IT or in general?

What do you think about the expereince working with a Canadian Company outside Canada? Is this experience treated as a Canadian Experience or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sans_May2010

dreamfromafar

Star Member
Apr 14, 2009
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This thread is a good READ.....

It helps us to prepare even more... Each of us has to create our own destiny, own path and bridge to cross. Along the way, each experience can be used to strengthen one another.

Reality really bites...but don't let it swallow you.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
dreamfromafar said:
This thread is a good READ.....

It helps us to even more prepare. Each of us has to create our own destiny, own path and bridge to cross. Along the way, each experience can be used to strengthen one another.

Reality really bites...but don't let it swallow you.

Yes dreamfromafar,
I agree with you. Despite the problems we should remain strong. at times it depends too on luck. Some people do not agree on the fact that luck counts, for me i think it has a role to play also plus your personal efforts.

Lets keep the going , even-though it is tough.

this thread is good for those who like to prepare, before landing in Canada.

anumatri

Dec 9, 2009
Visa Office......
buffualo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
waiting ...............
BZ u r still in canada ?

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian immigration is all about the flow of money coming in from immigrants....... If they dont have canadian experience why do they have this list, so called professions in demand and then let them in with PR...........

ITS A JOKE!!!!!!! Well done Jason Kenney U suck, fill up your pockects........

ehdgar

Star Member
May 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2011
AOR Received.
PER on April 20, 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
May 10,2011, In Process June 3, 2011
Med's Request
June 3, 2011, PCC, RPRF
Med's Done....
july 14, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
August 23, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: Sept 11, 2011, Visa received Sept. 16,2011
LANDED..........
October 15, 2011
I agree with everybody,,,I too, just came from the US and starting our lives back and hoping Canada will open its doors for me and my family. The only thing I can say is that, all the happiness, sorrows including the failures are some of the ingredients of LIFE. No matter how hard life can be, we should continue to be strong, work hard and never give up in chasing all our dreams....

bz

Jun 25, 2009
anumatri said:
BZ u r still in canada ?
Yes, I am still in Canada. Trying my best not to give up hope. Again, I started the thread not to discourage you. Like you, I was so positive but when you are in the real situation, I doubt it if you will never ever feel frustrated at some point. Indeed, these are all part of the so called "beauty of life". This is just part of our journey and experiences teach us lessons. So this taught me a good lesson - Easy way in does not mean "easy". Carefully weigh your options.

What's the average age of immigrants here - 30-45 years old? Your hard earned money will rapidly deplete here if you don't get a job right away. What makes it frustrating is you will be forced to take a job outside your background/skills just to earn the minimum wage.

Minumum wage of 10.25 (TOronto) is hand-to-mouth.

Again, I'm not discouraging. I just want you to carefully analyze your situation. This is the only way I know I could contribute to this forum by warning you and telling you what life could become.

All the best!