+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re: Sponsor wife and child in Philippines

thekindofguy

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am currently a student in the Philippines who is also a Canadian Citizen. I have a wife and child there and I am planning to sponsor them to come to Canada. However, I have no income as I have been a student. Is it required for me to show an income to sponsor them?

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
There is no income requirement. However you should show how you plan to support your family e.g. if you and your family will be staying by your parents on the move to Canada, then a letter from your parents indicating that they will be supporting you financially while letting you stay at their home will be good. Another would be to show your intentions of getting a job to support yourself and your family etc.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you have to show that your family will move to Canada when the wife gets her PR. As for the child, if you were a citizen when the child was born, it can also get citizenship. You can talk to the Canadian embassy in the Philippines about applying for a citizenship card for your child. Usually it takes a year or so to get. If you are planning on travelling before that, you can ask them to expedite. It is also possible to get a temporary passport for the child once you have applied for the citizenship certificate.

thekindofguy

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Wow, that is fantastic news. Thank you so much for your prompt response.

I do not understand that whole income requirement issue.

Obtaining a letter from famiy should not be difficult. Also, my wife is a nurse so her chances of employment in Canada is very high.

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The forms are generic to sponsor any relative. When you are sponsoring say parents, you need to show income because you need to show that you can provide for them. When you are sponsoring your spouse or children, you are exempt from income requirements.

The main thing is that you show plans to move to Canada. This could be a job offer, accepted to college, having arranged housing and/or at least a letter from your family saying they know of your plans to move and will help you out by letting you stay etc. Also write something about your plans on where you will live, and if you don't have a job offer, include some job ads to show that you have been looking for jobs.