+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re Entry with soon to expire PR Card

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hi!

We are living outside Canada since July 2008. Our PR card will expire on March 2013.

1) Can we still return to Canada before the card expires? Any hassle at immigration?
2) Correct me if I'm wrong, I can renew my PR card after I meet the 2 year obligation right? This means I can stay in canada with an expired PR card while waiting to complete the 2 year count?

Thanks

Regards.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

eriku said:
Hi!

We are living outside Canada since July 2008. Our PR card will expire on March 2013.

1) Can we still return to Canada before the card expires? Any hassle at immigration?
2) Correct me if I'm wrong, I can renew my PR card after I meet the 2 year obligation right? This means I can stay in canada with an expired PR card while waiting to complete the 2 year count?

Thanks

Regards.
1. You are going to have hassles, as you no longer meet the requirements for Permanent residence, i.e. 2 years residence in every 5 years as you have been outside Canada for almost 4 years.
2. If you make into Canada, you have to have 730 days of residence before renewing the card.

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
What can I do about number 1? You mean immigration at the airport won't let me enter Canada even if my PR card is still valid?

I left canada due to marriage problems. I went to canada ahead of my wife to settle in first and get a feel of the situation. Along the way problems occurred so I had to go back to my home country to fix my marriage which eventualy ended up in an annulment. So during the 4 years I had to stay outside canada trying to save the marriage and process the annulment which required appearing before a court, signing documents, etc.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

eriku said:
What can I do about number 1? You mean immigration at the airport won't let me enter Canada even if my PR card is still valid?

I left canada due to marriage problems. I went to canada ahead of my wife to settle in first and get a feel of the situation. Along the way problems occurred so I had to go back to my home country to fix my marriage which eventualy ended up in an annulment. So during the 4 years I had to stay outside canada trying to save the marriage and process the annulment which required appearing before a court, signing documents, etc.

1. Oh they will let you in. But it is quite likely that you will be reported as not meeting your PR residency and you will be admitted for 30 days to appeal the removal order to the IAD.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are no longer with your wife, why do you say "we" and not "I"? Who is "we"?

As for the answer to your question, I do not necessarily agree with PMM that it would be quite likely for you to get reported. Immigration is not all knowing and all seeing and experience stories of people who have crossed without meeting the requirements seem to show that it is rather unlikely to get reported but more common to get a stern talking to. The sooner you come back, the better your chances are. Better to come back with a year left on your PR card than a month. If you say you had to stay outside because of family problems, the immigration officers may well consider that you might have valid H&C grounds and may tell you that you can enter and will have to clear this up when you apply for your renewal. However, if you stay a full 2 years and then apply, you will meet the residency requirements again and will not have to clear anything up or claim any H&C grounds at your renewal.

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
hi LEon!

We = me and my daughter from 1st marriage (both of us have PR card expiring next year)

I was married twice , both anulled.

I'm planning to go back first (ahead of my daughter) just to make sure that I will be allowed to enter so as to save on airplane fare just in case.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your daughter has an even better chance than you if she was a minor during the time you made her leave Canada after her landing so if she enters and they ask her, she should say that. Of course it is possible that they do not ask her, especially if she is still a minor.

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
thanks for the response.

I'm planning to enter canada this coming June, since its my first time back what do I show to the immigration officer? just passport and PR card right? also is lane for citizen and PR separate?

thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just passport and PR card (and the completed immigration card they give you on the airplane).

The lane for PRs and citizens is the same.

jadwig

Star Member
Mar 12, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eriku said:
thanks for the response.

I'm planning to enter canada this coming June, since its my first time back what do I show to the immigration officer? just passport and PR card right? also is lane for citizen and PR separate?

thanks
Can you keep us posted on how it goes when you eventually enter?

Cheers.

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
yes will post updates

btw to Leon/PMM, is it a good idea to inform my embassy here (PHilippines) of my plans of going back and of my residency status?

thanks a million

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eriku said:
btw to Leon/PMM, is it a good idea to inform my embassy here (PHilippines) of my plans of going back and of my residency status?
I do not think it is advisable to get the embassy involved in this.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eriku said:
how come? thanks
Maybe the embassy will decide to get involved in whether you meet the residency requirements or not. I think you have a better chance just showing up at the border. Your choice.