+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry to Canada

Kikoboi

Jul 21, 2019
I got a student permit extension last year and am thinking of flying out of Canada for a vacation. Since my student visa (TRV) is no longer valid, I wonder if I can use my other visa, which is a tourist visa, just to re-enter Canada. Any thoughts, guys?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I got a student permit extension last year and am thinking of flying out of Canada for a vacation. Since my student visa (TRV) is no longer valid, I wonder if I can use my other visa, which is a tourist visa, just to re-enter Canada. Any thoughts, guys?
You need a TRV to re-enter. What is your other visa?

Reactions: Kikoboi

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You can provided it is valid and check on Gckey as well. Sometimes Counterfoil becomes Invalid after issuing another similar trv

Kikoboi

Jul 21, 2019
My other visa is a multiple entry V-1 visa, which expires in 2029. I applied for it way back in 2020, prior to the pandemic, and then it was approved after more than a year after getting the student visa approval.

Feb 15, 2023
It's important to note that a tourist visa and a student permit are two different types of documents with different purposes. A tourist visa allows you to enter Canada as a visitor for a temporary stay, while a student permit allows you to study in Canada for a specified period of time.

If your student permit has expired and you do not have a valid TRV, you will not be able to re-enter Canada as a student. If you want to study in Canada again, you will need to apply for a new student permit and obtain the necessary documents before returning.

However, if you want to enter Canada for a vacation or as a tourist, you may be able to use your tourist visa to re-enter the country. Make sure that your tourist visa is still valid and that you meet all the requirements for entering Canada as a tourist.

It's always a good idea to consult with Canadian immigration authorities or a qualified immigration lawyer to ensure that you have the most accurate and up-to-date information before making travel plans. Mynordstrom

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
It's important to note that a tourist visa and a student permit are two different types of documents with different purposes. A tourist visa allows you to enter Canada as a visitor for a temporary stay, while a student permit allows you to study in Canada for a specified period of time.

If your student permit has expired and you do not have a valid TRV, you will not be able to re-enter Canada as a student. If you want to study in Canada again, you will need to apply for a new student permit and obtain the necessary documents before returning.

However, if you want to enter Canada for a vacation or as a tourist, you may be able to use your tourist visa to re-enter the country. Make sure that your tourist visa is still valid and that you meet all the requirements for entering Canada as a tourist.

It's always a good idea to consult with Canadian immigration authorities or a qualified immigration lawyer to ensure that you have the most accurate and up-to-date information before making travel plans. Mynordstrom
OP can re-enter with valid V-1 visa and conditions on his SP supersedes that.

Kikoboi

Jul 21, 2019

Thank you for the hefty and very informative response, but please kindly read my original post and I apologize if there's a confusion on that post. I mentioned "student visa" not student permit, because I am very much aware of the difference between the two document.

My understanding is that you can use your "tourist visa" to gain re-entry as long you have a "valid student permit" and still studying. This is what I want to clarfiy.

Thank you and good day

Kikoboi

Jul 21, 2019
You can provided it is valid and check on Gckey as well. Sometimes Counterfoil becomes Invalid after issuing another similar trv
Thanks for the response, please see the timeline below:
March 2020 - Applied tourist visa
September 2020 - Applied student visa
November 2020 - Approval of student visa and student permit (expiry in July 2022)
January 2022 - Approval and receipt of tourist visa inside Canada (expiry of tourist visa in 2029)
May 2022 - Applied student permit extension only
August 2022 - Approved student permit but I did not applied for another student visa.

Took a lot longer for the tourist visa to process most probably due to pandemic and backlogs from IRCC.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for the response, please see the timeline below:
March 2020 - Applied tourist visa
September 2020 - Applied student visa
November 2020 - Approval of student visa and student permit (expiry in July 2022)
January 2022 - Approval and receipt of tourist visa inside Canada (expiry of tourist visa in 2029)
May 2022 - Applied student permit extension only
August 2022 - Approved student permit but I did not applied for another student visa.

Took a lot longer for the tourist visa to process most probably due to pandemic and backlogs from IRCC.
You should be okey to return using V-1