+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry to Canada without PR Card.

kunalmehta91

Jun 26, 2018
Hello Guys,
Greetings for the day! I had 3 quick questions please help me with this.

I have a Canada visitor visa and applied for Canada PR.

1) Hello Guys I just wanted to know after the Canada PR application is processed and I get the passport stamped, will my visitor VISA continue or it will get canceled. Because I am working in USA and can't wait for PR Card for 2 -3 months before it arrives. (Please respond if you are 100% sure as there are few experts telling it will be there as every VISA has its purpose.)

2) I know that if you don't have a PR card after the first entry to Canada, you will not be able to enter without the PR card but only in a commercial vehicle as they check before you onboard. But I also got to know that you can travel in your personal vehicle (Car) as the border authorities will check online? - Is it true!

3) Now if I need to have the PR Card for re-entering for sure, then what are the alternative ways.

It will be highly appreciated if you can provide few links (for reference) along with your answer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Visitor visa gets cancelled. There may be a slight delay in the cancellation but don't count on that.
2. Yes you can enter by land in a private vehicle using your COPR.

kunalmehta91

Jun 26, 2018
1. Visitor visa gets cancelled. There may be a slight delay in the cancellation but don't count on that.
2. Yes you can enter by land in a private vehicle using your COPR.
Just wanted to know if you have any reference for the point 2 "Yes you can enter by land in a private vehicle using your COPR"

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just wanted to know if you have any reference for the point 2 "Yes you can enter by land in a private vehicle using your COPR"
PR card is just a travel document. The airlines refuse you if you don't have a PR card because they don't want to be responsible for paying for your flight home if you are not admitted by CBSA. All PRs are allowed to enter Canada.

catalyst27

Apr 4, 2018
I recently did made a trip to Canada from USA in my car. I used COPR+Passport as I don't have PR cards in hand.
Stupid follow-up question to this - I am about to do my landing in Edmonton but may need to travel to the USA (by car) before the PR card arrives - I assumed that the office would take my COPR to process the PR card but is that not the case? Do they give you the original COPR back?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There are 2 copies of the landing documents. One they keep and one they give back to you. Take the one they give to you with you (don't loose it....ever). It can take a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks) for them to enter the document in the system to update your status. Once it's updated, you can use your passport to gain entry via land borders.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

catalyst27

Apr 4, 2018
There are 2 copies of the landing documents. One they keep and one they give back to you. Take the one they give to you with you (don't loose it....ever). It can take a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks) for them to enter the document in the system to update your status. Once it's updated, you can use your passport to gain entry via land borders.
Thanks so much for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I figured that this would be the case, thanks for confirming!