+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

re-entry after copr but before pr card

nvnagendra

Nov 11, 2019
Hi all, i have been on a work visa in Canada since 2018 and i recently got my copr stamped at the border and entered Canada. I have to leave out of the country for a couple of months and would be back later part of Jan 2020. Now, i obviously dont have my pr card in hand, but i do have a valid work visa that expires in 2021. When i asked the immigration officer during copr stamping, she said, the work visa is valid for re-entry till it expires. Hence thoroughly confused now. Should i get on with getting the PR travel document or come back on the work visa, any thoughts/experiences to share?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Once you are a PR then to board a plane you need either a valid PR card or a PRTD.

When an immigration officer implies something is good for re entry they are likely referring to the fact when you actually present yourself at the CANADA POE and not boarding a plane from outside of Canada given the airline checkin would be looking for a PR card or PRTD to allow board or not board.. Without a PR card or PRTD then the US land border POE can be used with a COPR assuming you can travel via the US,

Note that some people have posted on this forum in becoming very recent PRs whether they could travel on existing pre PR permits hoping the system had not been updated with their PR status. Unfortunately as is common here people rarely feedback whether they were successful or not at the airline checkin which is where there could be an issue so general advice is not to chance it, but is a personal decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvnagendra