+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada when waiting for Visitor Visa?

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

I`m currently waiting to receive my Visitor Visa, which I applied for in the beginning of October (within the permissible time before my IEC work permit expired). From what I`ve read, I`m currenty under "implied status", which means that I`m legally allowed to stay in Canada up until a decision on my Visitor Visa was made.

Unfortunately, my grandpa passed away last week and I`d like to attend his funeral, which will take place by the end of January (Germany). What are the regulations for re-entering Canada once I leave? Will it suffice to show my application for the Visitor Visa and explain my situtation to the border officer?

I tried calling CIC, but their hotline seems to be occupied 24/7.

I`d be very happy for an answer. Thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but my understanding would be if you applied for an extension to stay as a visitor that once you leave Canada that application/status is cancelled . You would need to reeneter Canada and be assessed at entry as a visitor from the beginning .

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
Others can comment as well but my understanding would be if you applied for an extension to stay as a visitor that once you leave Canada that application/status is cancelled . You would need to reeneter Canada and be assessed at entry as a visitor from the beginning .
Thanks for your reply, Bs65!

Do you think that things would be different if I would`ve applied for PR? I`m planning on applying for PR soon through common-law sponsoring. If I applied for PR before I depart, would my chances of re-entering be better? Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Do you think that things would be different if I would`ve applied for PR? I`m planning on applying for PR soon through common-law sponsoring. If I applied for PR before I depart, would my chances of re-entering be better? Thank you.
Assuming you are a German citizen and therefore visa exempt although nobody here can predict although doubt whether you would have any issue coming back in as a visitor other than maybe you might not get a default 6 months having just come off an IEC. That is why the extend stay as a visitor for some people is used given they are not at the mercy of a CBSA officer at the border.

As for having a PR application in process doubt that will make any difference and could in fact raise more questions as it could imply you are trying to live in the country as a visitor.

Also note there are as you can read on this forum issues depending on whether you apply for spouse sponsorship outland or inland. If the latter and you leave the country at any time then there is a chance the PR application gets cancelled unless there are mitigating circumstances.

It is very easy to overthink things and ultimately people , in particular visa exempts, come and go all the time to visit girlfriends/spouses and have no issues as long as they do not create the impression they are trying to live in the country as a visitor.

Good luck

Reactions: baniza

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

If you don't have the app submitted before you return, pay the full PR fees and have the receipt to show CBSA if they ask any further questions.

As for having a PR application in process doubt that will make any difference and could in fact raise more questions as it could imply you are trying to live in the country as a visitor.
Having a sponsorship app in process actually shows the opposite, that the person knows the rules and is applying to live in Canada legally.

Reactions: baniza

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
If you don't have the app submitted before you return, pay the full PR fees and have the receipt to show CBSA if they ask any further questions.

Having a sponsorship app in process actually shows the opposite, that the person knows the rules and is applying to live in Canada legally.
Thank you both very much for your answer! Luckily, I received my Visitor Extension today. hence, I`ll be going to the funeral. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when coming back into Canada? Is there any other document that I`ll need besides the Visitor Extension confirmation?

Thanks!

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
Assuming you are a German citizen and therefore visa exempt although nobody here can predict although doubt whether you would have any issue coming back in as a visitor other than maybe you might not get a default 6 months having just come off an IEC. That is why the extend stay as a visitor for some people is used given they are not at the mercy of a CBSA officer at the border.

Also note there are as you can read on this forum issues depending on whether you apply for spouse sponsorship outland or inland. If the latter and you leave the country at any time then there is a chance the PR application gets cancelled unless there are mitigating circumstances.

It is very easy to overthink things and ultimately people , in particular visa exempts, come and go all the time to visit girlfriends/spouses and have no issues as long as they do not create the impression they are trying to live in the country as a visitor.

Good luck
Thank you both very much for your answer! Luckily, I received my Visitor Extension today. hence, I`ll be going to the funeral. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when coming back into Canada? Is there any other document that I`ll need besides the Visitor Extension confirmation?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks!
The Visitor Record doesn't grant you entry. Visitor status ends when you leave Canada and you will be re-assessed as a new visitor upon re-entry.

As I said in my previous posts, pay the PR fees and have the receipt. You can get the app started and have that to show as well.