+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada. How long can a visitor stay?

Auroraca

Apr 20, 2021
Hi, my father has a multiple visa and 5 months ago, he traveled to Canada as a tourist. Recently, from Canada he travelled to a third country (Mexico) several days on vacation and then returned to Canada to catch a flight back to his original country later after 5 days.

At the Canada airport, he used the inspection kiosk and declared to stay 5 days. And no stamp at all on his passport while re-entering Canada.

However, at the moment, my father wants to stay in Canada for a few more months. So my question is if he is allowed to stay, as my understanding is that people can stay up to 6 months per entry, or he’ll need to stick to his flight back to the original country as he declared earlier at the airport’s kiosk?

Please help. Thank you very much for your responses!

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
If they didn't stamp his passport I would presume there is no visitor record so he can stay 6 months again. But I'd get more official advice if I were you, just in case.

schweinlet

Jun 1, 2015
I would only do this as an one time thing(going to mexico for a week to get 6 more months). I did this when my mom first came to canada and CBSA officer told me this is not the way it works and we should have applied for Visitor record.

I explained for 20 minutes why we went to Cuba just before the oringinal 6 months ends. If it were not her first time in Canada, she might have been asked to leave Canada in a few days.

Reactions: Bornlucky