+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada for a short visit after 3 years of being away and only 10 months before PR card expires

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
Hello members,

Mine's not a unique case but with a travel scheduled for Canada in less than a day, wondering what's the appropriate way respond to the questions at the immigration based on my situation.

Since I got my PR back in July 2019, I havw visited Canada a couple of times, but personal situations are such that i couldn't move. A few months ago I decided to finally give up the idea of moving there.

But, I am now having to travel to Alberta for a 3 day work trip. I have no intentions of staying longer than that. However, I'd like for the PR to be not revoked until it's expires and at that I will just not renew ( for obvious reasons).

Can anyone guide me with the proper way of answering the questions at the POE. I don't want to be sent back or have my status revoked for not meeting the residency obligation. I'd also ike to be able to make these short trips until my PR card expires.

I am just anxious about either oversharing or inadvertently saying something stupid that gets misinterpreted by the officials.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello members,

Mine's not a unique case but with a travel scheduled for Canada in less than a day, wondering what's the appropriate way respond to the questions at the immigration based on my situation.

Since I got my PR back in July 2019, I havw visited Canada a couple of times, but personal situations are such that i couldn't move. A few months ago I decided to finally give up the idea of moving there.

But, I am now having to travel to Alberta for a 3 day work trip. I have no intentions of staying longer than that. However, I'd like for the PR to be not revoked until it's expires and at that I will just not renew ( for obvious reasons).

Can anyone guide me with the proper way of answering the questions at the POE. I don't want to be sent back or have my status revoked for not meeting the residency obligation. I'd also ike to be able to make these short trips until my PR card expires.

I am just anxious about either oversharing or inadvertently saying something stupid that gets misinterpreted by the officials.

Thank you
You should answer all questions truthfuly at the border - that's really the only answer any of us can give. Don't give overly long answers. Simply respond to any questions you are asked briefly but accurately. There's always some chance you may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residencly obligation. If that happens, this will trigger the process of your PR status being formally revoked.

You misunderstand how PR works. Your PR status is not tied to the expiry date of your PR card. You will not "lose" PR status when your PR card expires and then don't renew your PR card. You will still be a PR after your PR card expires. There are two ways to lose your PR status. One is to renounce PR yourself. The other is for Canada to revoke your PR stauts.

Reactions: NPconnoisseur

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
You should answer all questions truthfuly at the border - that's really the only answer any of us can give. Don't give overly long answers. Simply respond to any questions you are asked briefly but accurately. There's always some chance you may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residencly obligation. If that happens, this will trigger the process of your PR status being formally revoked.

You misunderstand how PR works. Your PR status is not tied to the expiry date of your PR card. You will not "lose" PR status when your PR card expires and then don't renew your PR card. You will still be a PR after your PR card expires. There are two ways to lose your PR status. One is to renounce PR yourself. The other is for Canada to revoke your PR stauts.
Thank you for your response and inputs. I had no intention of misrepresenting facts. Was just a little anxious of complicating my own case by volunteering information that was not asked. Will try to keep it simple and straight forward.

As a follow-up, will there be any scenario where in even when I am found not meeting the RO and have no intentions of staying put to meet the RO, my PR status will not be revoked and I am allowed to make these short visits ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response and inputs. I had no intention of misrepresenting facts. Was just a little anxious of complicating my own case by volunteering information that was not asked. Will try to keep it simple and straight forward.

As a follow-up, will there be any scenario where in even when I am found not meeting the RO and have no intentions of staying put to meet the RO, my PR status will not be revoked and I am allowed to make these short visits ?
Anything is technically possilbe. It's ultimately up to the CBSA officer you speak to at the border.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, it's possible, but as noted, entirely up to the CBSA officer. Obviously the more 'short visits' , the more interactions with them at the border, the more chance one will decide to start the process.

But note: when your PR card expires, you will still be a PR, but you will not be able to board a plane to Canada (unless you're a US passport holder), and you can't get a visa or ETA if you're a PR. You can present at a land border instead - don't technically need the PR card there.

Sooner or later, a CBSA officer is going to report you for the non-compliance with the residency obligation, and that gives you 30 days (or is it 60?) to appeal, and with an appeal you might be able to delay it, but eventually, if you're not living in Canada, you'll most likely lose the PR status.

So those 'short visits' (work or otherwise) will eventually be a problem. If it's for work, it may happen at a point that's not convenient.

No advice here, just that you may have to consider how best to deal with this, possibly at some point renouncing PR status to ensure possibility of visiting without too many complications. Even with renouncing you probably have to allow 60 days plus for them to process.

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
Yes, it's possible, but as noted, entirely up to the CBSA officer. Obviously the more 'short visits' , the more interactions with them at the border, the more chance one will decide to start the process.

But note: when your PR card expires, you will still be a PR, but you will not be able to board a plane to Canada (unless you're a US passport holder), and you can't get a visa or ETA if you're a PR. You can present at a land border instead - don't technically need the PR card there.

Sooner or later, a CBSA officer is going to report you for the non-compliance with the residency obligation, and that gives you 30 days (or is it 60?) to appeal, and with an appeal you might be able to delay it, but eventually, if you're not living in Canada, you'll most likely lose the PR status.

So those 'short visits' (work or otherwise) will eventually be a problem. If it's for work, it may happen at a point that's not convenient.

No advice here, just that you may have to consider how best to deal with this, possibly at some point renouncing PR status to ensure possibility of visiting without too many complications. Even with renouncing you probably have to allow 60 days plus for them to process.

Thank you @armoured for your inputs. Since I realistically didnt see myself meeting RO without having to severely restrict myself from traveling outside CA, I figured the only thing I could possibly try doing is utilizing my PR card as a visitors visa for the next few months, as needed.

I fully understand that's not the intent of PR and thus CBSA may not entertain these short visits. I am just hoping for the best outcome. I was initially slightly worried about being sent back or denied entry for not meeting the RO despite carrying a valid PR card. Based on the response, atleast that doesn't look like the typical procedure even if being reported.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you @armoured for your inputs. Since I realistically didnt see myself meeting RO without having to severely restrict myself from traveling outside CA, I figured the only thing I could possibly try doing is utilizing my PR card as a visitors visa for the next few months, as needed.
At this point the worst that could happen would be they let you in and report you, starting the process of revoking your PR. If you're okay with that as worst case, not that much to worry about.

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
At this point the worst that could happen would be they let you in and report you, starting the process of revoking your PR. If you're okay with that as worst case, not that much to worry about.
Just wanted to give an update. I landed at YEG (Edmonton) yesterday and was directed to one of the self checkout counters. The declaration form with the photo that I received at that counter is all the security officer at the exit needed before letting me exit and go to the Baggage claim area.

Had no one on one interaction with the CBSA yesterday. Not sure if the traffic a particular international Airport sees has anything to do with it. But the airport was not busy !

Last edited:
Reactions: JDR1984

JDR1984

Sep 15, 2023
Just wanted to give an update. I landed at YEG (Edmonton) yesterday and was directed to one of the self checkout counters. The declaration form with the photo that I received at that counter is all the security officer at the exit needed before letting me exit and go to the Baggage claim area.

Had no one on one interaction with the CBSA yesterday. Not sure if the traffic a particular international Airport sees has anything to do with it. But the airport was not busy !
Thank you for the update!

jassou

Oct 27, 2023

thank you for the information.when you were directed to the self checkout counters did u mention that u WERE living outside canda?