+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada after doing first landing (before getting PR card)

taimoorsoomro

Oct 24, 2017
Dear All

I have a query that can I re enter Canada after doing my first (soft) landing as a Permanent Residence and before getting my PR card? The facts/details for the this query are below:

I recently got my PR approved and will be doing my First (soft) Landing in September 2019, however I have plans to visit US also doing my trip as well. Once I land, i will apply for the PR card which I have heard might take upto 45-60 days, but I wanted to take a short trip to US (i have a valid US Visit Visa already).

Hence, after 10 days of my landing will visit US for a couple of weeks and then want to return to Canada.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge similar to this? Thanks in advance.

Regards

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dear All

I have a query that can I re enter Canada after doing my first (soft) landing as a Permanent Residence and before getting my PR card? The facts/details for the this query are below:

I recently got my PR approved and will be doing my First (soft) Landing in September 2019, however I have plans to visit US also doing my trip as well. Once I land, i will apply for the PR card which I have heard might take upto 45-60 days, but I wanted to take a short trip to US (i have a valid US Visit Visa already).

Hence, after 10 days of my landing will visit US for a couple of weeks and then want to return to Canada.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge similar to this? Thanks in advance.

Regards
You will need to either apply, while actually in the USA, for a PRTD or you will need to cross the USA land border in private transport / on foot.
You will not be able to board an aircraft without a PR card or a PRTD.

Anything else, such as relying on old visas or eTA, is not official and cannot be guaranteed to work, regardless of a few success stories posted on the forum.

taimoorsoomro

Oct 24, 2017
You will need to either apply, while actually in the USA, for a PRTD or you will need to cross the USA land border in private transport / on foot.
You will not be able to board an aircraft without a PR card or a PRTD.

Anything else, such as relying on old visas or eTA, is not official and cannot be guaranteed to work, regardless of a few success stories posted on the forum.
Thanks alot for the information.

Just a question if I cross the border in private transport to Canada, will no one ask for any document for entering Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks alot for the information.

Just a question if I cross the border in private transport to Canada, will no one ask for any document for entering Canada?
Yes, CBSA will. Your passport and signed copy of your COPR will suffice.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Is there a chance that CBSA will ask for the PR card also? Because if they have in someone's experience, then I dont want to take a chance.
They will ask for it but a simple explanation of the circumstances (new PR, card in production) will be more than ok. They are used to this scenario.