+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering as a tourist then staying?

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
It's not uncommon. We've seen plenty here be reported. Of course also seen plenty get through without being reported. Again, it's really a dice roll. Impossible to give you your chances of success.
I'm just grateful for your advice. I always respected having PR in Canada, just my circumstances and not getting off to the best start. I really feel I will have a better leg to stand on if there is a second time around. I do, well did, have a great immigration lawyer there as well, so it might be worth being in touch with him should the need arise and I am reported.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Showing up at any border entry looking like you are moving to Canada will obviously increase scrutiny. If you show up with your entire household as a presumptive traveller/visitor with all your worldly belongings, expect to be sent to secondary.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Showing up at any border entry looking like you are moving to Canada will obviously increase scrutiny. If you show up with your entire household as a presumptive traveller/visitor with all your worldly belongings, expect to be sent to secondary.
Definitely not planning to bring masses of things with me, just one suitcase. I am visiting friends in USA and then my Canadian friend will meet me there and travel with me into Canada (so just the two of us in the car). I will not show my expired PR card (expired December 2018), I will just travel with my British passport.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I just want to state from the beginning I am not a crook or somebody looking to use Canada for financial benefits, quite the opposite.
I came to Canada from the UK in 2007 after falling in love and marrying a Canadian. We were very young (20). He turned out to be a gambling addict and left us with so much debt, including using my car on the 407 and running up massive bills. We split in 2012 and I felt I was struggling by myself to live. Every pay cheque was taken with bills and I had debt collectors on my case. A life I had never experienced before.
I left in 2012 and returned in 2013 to renew my PR card, and never returned to Canada since then.
In this time I managed to pay off all the Canadian debts that were owing, clearing my credit, as well as getting some savings behind me.
Roll on to now, 2020 and I miss my father (he is a Canadian citizen as of 25 years ago) and my friends in Canada. I feel now with my education and better financial status I am in a better position to make a good life in Canada.
So my question is, I know it is a problem if I go back to Canada with an expired PR card but is it possible for me to enter Canada as a British citizen with return tickets, as a tourist, but then stay and go back to life in Canada? Or is that impossible?
Thank you for your time.
There is no way you'll be able to get an ETA because you're a PR and you're not eligible for it.
Hence, yes, your only choice is to come to the US and enter by land. You cannot be refused entrance to the country because you don't lose your status until a formal decision has been met regarding your status or until you've renounced it.

Likely, once you enter your case will be sent for review and they could based on the fact that you haven't met your PR obligations decide that you're no longer eligible to maintain your status.

You actually seem to have a pretty good case for you to appeal as to why you were somewhat forced to leave the country, and the fact that you've paid off all your debts is certainly something that'll play on your favor.

Again, if you make it to the US and then cross the border you cannot by law be denied entrance if you are a PR, which you are.

You cannot, however, enter Canada as a tourist whilst maintaining a PR status, its just incompatible.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I've another question, what about if I reentered Canada on another passport as I'm a dual citizen of UK and another European country. I've never used the other passport before, will it help to use that to avoid them seeing I'm a PR?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I've another question, what about if I reentered Canada on another passport as I'm a dual citizen of UK and another European country. I've never used the other passport before, will it help to use that to avoid them seeing I'm a PR?
So your name date of birth , city of birth are different on both passports ?

You should never rely on any border agency not finding out who someone is.

You still plan to mislead / misrepresent yourself both on the statutory declaration to apply for an ETA or any question that asks do you have any dual citizenship ?

So you enter the country and come time to renew your PR card you declare where you have been last 5 years and if any agency had time they could maybe determine how and when you entered.

Ultimately your decision to apply for an ETA on your European passport but if name/DOB same as your PR then could possibly expect questions.

As far as I understand passports are not linked to PR status indefinitely beyond initial immigration. There is no process aware of to mainatin passport/PR link on getting either new passport or PR card.

Last edited:
Reactions: worriedanxious007

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
So your name date of birth , city of birth are different on both passports ?

You should never rely on any border agency not finding out who someone is.

You still plan to mislead / misrepresent yourself both on the statutory declaration to apply for an ETA or any question that asks do you have any dual citizenship ?

So you enter the country and come time to renew your PR card you declare where you have been last 5 years and if any agency had time they could maybe determine how and when you entered.

Ultimately your decision to apply for an ETA on your European passport but if name/DOB same as your PR then could possibly expect questions.

As far as I understand passports are not linked to PR status indefinitely beyond initial immigration. There is no process aware of to mainatin passport/PR link on getting either new passport or PR card.
Hi no plans to apply for an eTA at all, definitely don't want to trigger something like that.
My plan is to enter on land as mentioned but using my other passport.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
It could however be argued that the op turning up with all their chattels and without a return ticket would show that they are committed to staying in Canada rather than coming just in the hope of renewing thier status. It just might when combined with the genuine hard luck story mean Cbsa gave them a break and didn't file a report. It's a chance however slim whereas applying for an eta or prtd would guarantee loss of PR in my opinion.

Reactions: worriedanxious007

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
It could however be argued that the op turning up with all their chattels and without a return ticket would show that they are committed to staying in Canada rather than coming just in the hope of renewing thier status. It just might when combined with the genuine hard luck story mean Cbsa gave them a break and didn't file a report. It's a chance however slim whereas applying for an eta or prtd would guarantee loss of PR in my opinion.
Thank you! I appreciate your response.