+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering as a tourist then staying?

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I just want to state from the beginning I am not a crook or somebody looking to use Canada for financial benefits, quite the opposite.
I came to Canada from the UK in 2007 after falling in love and marrying a Canadian. We were very young (20). He turned out to be a gambling addict and left us with so much debt, including using my car on the 407 and running up massive bills. We split in 2012 and I felt I was struggling by myself to live. Every pay cheque was taken with bills and I had debt collectors on my case. A life I had never experienced before.
I left in 2012 and returned in 2013 to renew my PR card, and never returned to Canada since then.
In this time I managed to pay off all the Canadian debts that were owing, clearing my credit, as well as getting some savings behind me.
Roll on to now, 2020 and I miss my father (he is a Canadian citizen as of 25 years ago) and my friends in Canada. I feel now with my education and better financial status I am in a better position to make a good life in Canada.
So my question is, I know it is a problem if I go back to Canada with an expired PR card but is it possible for me to enter Canada as a British citizen with return tickets, as a tourist, but then stay and go back to life in Canada? Or is that impossible?
Thank you for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just want to state from the beginning I am not a crook or somebody looking to use Canada for financial benefits, quite the opposite.
I came to Canada from the UK in 2007 after falling in love and marrying a Canadian. We were very young (20). He turned out to be a gambling addict and left us with so much debt, including using my car on the 407 and running up massive bills. We split in 2012 and I felt I was struggling by myself to live. Every pay cheque was taken with bills and I had debt collectors on my case. A life I had never experienced before.
I left in 2012 and returned in 2013 to renew my PR card, and never returned since.
In this time I managed to pay off all the Canadian debts that were owing, clearing my credit, as well as getting some savings behind me.
Roll on to now, 2020 and I miss my father (he is a Canadian citizen as of 25 years ago) and my friends in Canada. I feel now with my education and better financial status I am in a better position to make a good life in Canada.
So my question is, I know it is a problem if I go back to Canada with an expired PR card but is it possible for me to enter Canada as a British citizen with return tickets, as a tourist, but then stay and go back to life in Canada? Or is that impossible?
Thank you for your time.
The only way you can enter Canada as a British citizen is by flying to the U.S. and then attempting to enter Canada through a land border crossing. You will have to hope that you are not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you'll need to appear at a hearing and will almost certainly end up officially losing your PR status since you don't meet the residency requirement. If you are able to enter Canada without being reported, then you can remain in Canada for 2 straight years and then will be able to successfully renew your PR card.

Flying directly to Canada will not be possible. In order to do that you would either need to have a valid PR card or a valid PR Travel Document. British passport holders need an eTA to board a flight and fly directly to Canada. Since you are technically still a PR, you do not qualify for an eTA and need a valid PR card / PR Travel Document to board a flight.

If you want to try entering Canada through the U.S. border, it goes without saying that you shouldn't try that now with all of the travel restrictions in place. You will want to wait until these restrictions have been lifted.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
The only way you can enter Canada as a British citizen is by flying to the U.S. and then attempting to enter Canada through a land border crossing. You will have to hope that you are not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you'll need to appear at a hearing and will almost certainly end up officially losing your PR status since you don't meet the residency requirement. If you are able to enter Canada without being reported, then you can remain in Canada for 2 straight years and then will be able to successfully renew your PR card.

Flying directly to Canada will not be possible. In order to do that you would either need to have a valid PR card or a valid PR Travel Document. British passport holders need an eTA to board a flight and fly directly to Canada. Since you are technically still a PR, you do not qualify for an eTA and need a valid PR card / PR Travel Document to board a flight.

If you want to try entering Canada through the U.S. border, it goes without saying that you shouldn't try that now with all of the travel restrictions in place. You will want to wait until these restrictions have been lifted.
Thank you for your reply. I am not planning to say I am a PR so as to avoid any questioning about that. Is this possible?
PS: I do not plan to travel any time in the next year!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. I am not planning to say I am a PR so as to avoid any questioning about that. Is this possible?
PS: I do not plan to travel any time in the next year!
You can certainly not volunteer that you are a PR. However if you're asked, don't lie.

If your passport is scanned, they wil likely see you are a PR.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
You can certainly not volunteer that you are a PR. However if you're asked, don't lie.

If your passport is scanned, they wil likely see you are a PR.
Thank you again! So if I apply for the eTA and get to the border officer, is it likely they can see I am a PR?
I am always unsure how much information they have at the border.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Note that if you are planning to enter as a tourist, you’ll have to wait until the borders open up and the restrictions are removed.
you don’t need an eTA to enter through a land border with the US.

Reactions: worriedanxious007

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you again! So if I apply for the eTA and get to the border officer, is it likely they can see I am a PR?
I am always unsure how much information they have at the border.
No - you cannot apply for an eTA. If you try, the eTA will be refused and you'll be told you have to renounce your PR status to qualify.

You will be entering Canada through a U.S. land border using your British passport. You should bring your expired PR card and COPR as well since you may need these documents if asked.

Yes - assume CBSA will be able to see you are a PR.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
No - you cannot apply for an eTA. If you try, the eTA will be refused and you'll be told you have to renounce your PR status to qualify.

You will be entering Canada through a U.S. land border using your British passport. You should bring your expired PR card and COPR as well since you may need these documents if asked.

I will follow your advice thank you very much!

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I will follow your advice thank you very much!
The

Last question! I was tempted to apply for the eTA just to see whether they see I am a PR, then if they approved it wouldn't it mean that they don't see I am a PR?

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Note that if you are planning to enter as a tourist, you’ll have to wait until the borders open up and the restrictions are removed.
you don’t need an eTA to enter through a land border with the US.
Thank you, this will be how I reenter Canada I think. I do have lots of friends in America so I really hope this would work, maybe a friend from Canada can come down to the states and travel back in with me in their car. Are the border as aggressive as the airport officials do you know?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The

Last question! I was tempted to apply for the eTA just to see whether they see I am a PR, then if they approved it wouldn't it mean that they don't see I am a PR?
Look when the ETA first came in there were people who were PRs back in early 80s but for some reason either forgot or simply did not move to Canada. They applied for ETAs and were refused unless they renounced their PR status so the chances of someone who was a PR in the 2000's not being in the system as a PR are remote. Once a PR always a PR unless renounced or revoked.

Sure by all means apply for an ETA to get the standard refusal letter which will offer you the chance to renounce or if lacking a PR card the opportunity to apply for a PRTD leading to PR probably being revoked if failing the residency. This is possibly not a good idea to apply for an ETA given you will create an unecessary presence in the immigration system

Note CBSA are not aggressive, sure you didnt mean that literally, they are simply doing their job in protecting Canadas borders and will not make any difference coming back in a car with someone from Canada you still need to present ID but the land border appears to be your only option..

Last edited:

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Look when the ETA first came in there were people who were PRs back in early 80s but for some reason either forgot or simply did not move to Canada. They applied for ETAs and were refused unless they renounced their PR status so the chances of someone who was a PR in the 2000's not being in the system as a PR are remote. Once a PR always a PR unless renounced or revoked.

Sure by all means apply for an ETA to get the standard refusal letter which will offer you the chance to renounce or if lacking a PR card the opportunity to apply for a PRTD leading to PR probably being revoked if failing the residency. This is possibly not a good idea to apply for an ETA given you will create an unecessary presence in the immigration system

Note CBSA are not aggressive, sure you didnt mean that literally, they are simply doing their job in protecting Canadas borders and will not make any difference coming back in a car with someone from Canada you still need to present ID .
Of course, I probably should have used the word thorough instead of aggressive!
So if I enter Canada by car, with my British passport, will I be able to enter? Should I have my return flight from the USA booked back to UK as well? Just trying to figure out how to enter and get on with life. I have heard that as I never lost my PR status, they will have to let me in if they discover I am PR.
Also, do they scan every passport entering via land border?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Of course, I probably should have used the word thorough instead of aggressive!
So if I enter Canada by car, with my British passport, will I be able to enter? Should I have my return flight from the USA booked back to UK as well? Just trying to figure out how to enter and get on with life. I have heard that as I never lost my PR status, they will have to let me in if they discover I am PR.
Also, do they scan every passport entering via land border?
You will be able to enter Canada.

You may be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you will appear at a hearing within Canada sometime later and should expect to officially lose your PR and be told to leave Canada.

If you are not reported, then you enter Canada and live in Canada for 2 years straight and then apply to renew your PR card.

Yes - passports are scanned.

It's a coin toss whether you will be reported or not. There's nothing you can do to guarantee that you will be able to keep your PR status. It might work out and it might not.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
You will be able to enter Canada.

You may be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you will appear at a hearing within Canada sometime later and should expect to officially lose your PR and be told to leave Canada.

If you are not reported, then you enter Canada and live in Canada for 2 years straight and then apply to renew your PR card.

Yes - passports are scanned.

It's a coin toss whether you will be reported or not. There's nothing you can do to guarantee that you will be able to keep your PR status. It might work out and it might not.
Thank you, I guess my best shot really is via land then. How common is it that a person is reported?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, I guess my best shot really is via land then. How common is it that a person is reported?
It's not uncommon. We've seen plenty here be reported. Of course also seen plenty get through without being reported. Again, it's really a dice roll. Impossible to give you your chances of success.