+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter requirement to Canada

Bayarsaikhan

Mar 3, 2014
Hi. All

I was granted PR card in March 2014 after first visit to Canada and we all left back to home country. Since then we have been unable to move Canada for the personal reasons for 3 years. Then now we have left only roughly 600 days to expire our PR card. In this case can we use PR card to re-enter to Canada? Because someone telling me that border officer will not allow us to enter Canada, because there are not 2 years to stay in Canada? Is that true?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a PR you are entitled to enter Canada and would be allowed in but given you have failed to meet the 2 out of 5 years residency obligation there is a possibility that you will be reported the next time you enter the country. This report would initiate the process to revoke your PR status and if eventually revoked you would be given notice to leave the country subject to appeal although appeals require very exceptional circumstances to succeed.

There is always a chance that you will not be reported but then you must stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving in order to reset your residency obligation.

Also note that only PR cards expire PR status itself never expires and only be revoked or renounced.

Bayarsaikhan

Mar 3, 2014
Thank you very much for reply to my thread.

is it possible to enter Canada with my PR card on 4th year, just before expire PR card? I am planning to move Canada in early 2018. if it ok i will saty in Canada for 4-5 years.