+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-Enter Canada without a valid PR card.

Nawab_11

Jan 10, 2022
I am a permanent resident of Canada. I live in Woodbridge, Ontario. I received my confirmation of Permanent Residency in June 2021. I spent the last 5 years of my life in Canada as a student/worker. And I am a CO-PR now.

I did not received my PR-Card yet but I had to urgently leave the country for emergency reasons on 26th November 2021. I am currently employed at CIBC and I will be returning to Canada on January 12th 2021.

In order to re-enter Canada without a valid PR card, I require a Permanent Resident Travel Document.

As per instructions from IRCC, I sent out a request to "IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca" for a Permanent Resident Travel Document on November 29th 2021 as the Visa Application Centres in India are providing limited services. I haven't received any response yet and I still have to send my passport to get it stamped so I can enter Canada.

I am reaching out because this is an urgent request and I’m unable to get any response from IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca, the IRCC office in New Delhi and the Visa application Centres.
I require answers regarding this.

If I have US visa, am I able to cross the border with Co-PR, DL, Sin and passport?
Or should I wait for the Passport request for PRTD?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a permanent resident of Canada. I live in Woodbridge, Ontario. I received my confirmation of Permanent Residency in June 2021. I spent the last 5 years of my life in Canada as a student/worker. And I am a CO-PR now.

I did not received my PR-Card yet but I had to urgently leave the country for emergency reasons on 26th November 2021. I am currently employed at CIBC and I will be returning to Canada on January 12th 2021.

In order to re-enter Canada without a valid PR card, I require a Permanent Resident Travel Document.

As per instructions from IRCC, I sent out a request to "IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca" for a Permanent Resident Travel Document on November 29th 2021 as the Visa Application Centres in India are providing limited services. I haven't received any response yet and I still have to send my passport to get it stamped so I can enter Canada.

I am reaching out because this is an urgent request and I’m unable to get any response from IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca, the IRCC office in New Delhi and the Visa application Centres.
I require answers regarding this.

If I have US visa, am I able to cross the border with Co-PR, DL, Sin and passport?
Or should I wait for the Passport request for PRTD?
Unfortunately there is no way to speed up the processing of your PRTD.

Yes, you can fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a US/Canada land border. You will need to complete a molecular PCR test once you arrive in the US and receive a negative result before you'll be able to enter Canada.

Nawab_11

Jan 10, 2022
Hello. So if I enter via the land border, will I be able to enter Canada without a valid PR card or PRTD?
Unfortunately there is no way to speed up the processing of your PRTD.

Yes, you can fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a US/Canada land border. You will need to complete a molecular PCR test once you arrive in the US and receive a negative result before you'll be able to enter Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. So if I enter via the land border, will I be able to enter Canada without a valid PR card or PRTD?
That's right. You can enter using your COPR.

You need to enter using a private vehicle. So you cannot take the bus, for example.

Nawab_11

Jan 10, 2022

You need to enter using a private vehicle. So you cannot take the bus, for example.
This is such a relief to hear that I am able to enter Canada with a Co-PR.
I have been waiting for so long for a PRTD and I am tired of rescheduling my flight over and over.
I just need to know I’m able to enter without any trouble.

Nawab_11

Jan 10, 2022

Is the re-entry guaranteed if I cross via the land border?
If so, why is it different than landing from a commercial flight? Why can I enter Canada via land border with COPR but to enter via a flight, I require a PRTD? Hoping for some clarification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is the re-entry guaranteed if I cross via the land border?
If so, why is it different than landing from a commercial flight? Why can I enter Canada via land border with COPR but to enter via a flight, I require a PRTD? Hoping for some clarification.
Yes, it's guaranteed. (You'll obviously need to also follow COVID protocols and get the right test in the US before re-entering Canada which can be difficult these days. Be prepared that you may have to be in the US for a number of days before you can enter Canada.)

I don't know why it's different. It's just different and the land border.

There are lots of people here who have done this. Read through the posts in the PR Obligation section of the forum.

Nawab_11

Jan 10, 2022
Yes, it's guaranteed. (You'll obviously need to also follow COVID protocols and get the right test in the US before re-entering Canada which can be difficult these days. Be prepared that you may have to be in the US for a number of days before you can enter Canada.)

I don't know why it's different. It's just different and the land border.

There are lots of people here who have done this. Read through the posts in the PR Obligation section of the forum.
thank you for your response.
If CO-PR is good to cross the border via land, why is it not included in the “Other documents” section on cic page? Just need some information regarding this.

Other acceptable documents to support identity
The following documents may be used to establish your identity:

• CANPASS card (air, corporate air, private air, remote area border crossing), held by a Canadian citizen
  • Commercial driver registration program card, held by a Canadian citizen
  • Provincial and territorial driver's license
  • Employment or student card with photo and signature
  • Provincial health insurance card
  • Provincial identity card
  • Canadian Forces identification
  • Police identification
  • Firearms acquisition certificate
  • Social insurance number card
  • Credit card
  • Vehicle insurance certificate
  • Vehicle registration

Also since Service Canada does not provide actual SIN cards, they just provide the SIN number paper, does it still hold the same validity?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for your response.
If CO-PR is good to cross the border via land, why is it not included in the “Other documents” section on cic page? Just need some information regarding this.

Other acceptable documents to support identity
The following documents may be used to establish your identity:

• CANPASS card (air, corporate air, private air, remote area border crossing), held by a Canadian citizen
  • Commercial driver registration program card, held by a Canadian citizen
  • Provincial and territorial driver's license
  • Employment or student card with photo and signature
  • Provincial health insurance card
  • Provincial identity card
  • Canadian Forces identification
  • Police identification
  • Firearms acquisition certificate
  • Social insurance number card
  • Credit card
  • Vehicle insurance certificate
  • Vehicle registration

Also since Service Canada does not provide actual SIN cards, they just provide the SIN number paper, does it still hold the same validity?
I'm going to be really honest with you. I can't be bothered to argue this fact with you further or find the relevant links for you on the IRCC web site. It's an extremely well known fact that you can re-enter Canada through a land border with your COPR and people do this all of the time.

As I said in my post above, read through the discussions in the PR Obligation section of the forum and you'll see lots of discussions on this topic.

Nawab_11

Jan 10, 2022
I'm going to be really honest with you. I can't be bothered to argue this fact with you further or find the relevant links for you on the IRCC web site. It's an extremely well known fact that you can re-enter Canada through a land border with your COPR and people do this all of the time.

As I said in my post above, read through the discussions in the PR Obligation section of the forum and you'll see lots of discussions on this topic.
Thank you so much for your assistance. I am just making sure that the border official will allow me to enter. I don’t want the last 5 years of hard work to go to waste so I’m being very cautious.
Thank you for all the information. I’ve read posts by others as well and I’m reaching out to people who’ve crossed the borders with passport and CO-PR.

Bigorangecat69

Jul 22, 2021

What type of questions would they ask? Would I be able to let a friend pick me up from the airport in Buffalo, or should I walk/take a taxi over?

Jan 10, 2022
This is such a relief to hear that I am able to enter Canada with a Co-PR.
I have been waiting for so long for a PRTD and I am tired of rescheduling my flight over and over.
I just need to know I’m able to enter without any trouble.
Can you please confirm that it worked for you? I need to enter and I dont have PR card yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can you please confirm that it worked for you? I need to enter and I dont have PR card yet.
You can enter using your COPR as long as your are coming from the US through a land border crossing. Otherwise you need a PR card or PRTD.