+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter canada by road through US border

saiyanprince

Oct 29, 2020
Hello Canadavisa community,

I hold an Indian passport and my PR approval was issued just a week ago. I have been in Canada on a work permit for a while now and I am guessing landing is not needed since I am already here due to new changes in Covid. I need to travel to India for the holiday break. But I don't have my PR card yet. The current processing times for PR card is over 100 days. I have a B1/B2 US visa. So I plan to fly to Seattle to visit from friends briefly and drive to vancouver

1. Can I just show my PR approval letter in-lieu of my PR card?
2. Is PRTD mandatory if I drive across the border?
3. I don't know if I can get PRTD quickly in India right now. The current processing times might be higher than normal due to Covid. Any idea how the long the delay is as of now?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Canadavisa community,

I hold an Indian passport and my PR approval was issued just a week ago. I have been in Canada on a work permit for a while now and I am guessing landing is not needed since I am already here due to new changes in Covid. I need to travel to India for the holiday break. But I don't have my PR card yet. The current processing times for PR card is over 100 days. I have a B1/B2 US visa. So I plan to fly to Seattle to visit from friends briefly and drive to vancouver

1. Can I just show my PR approval letter in-lieu of my PR card?
2. Is PRTD mandatory if I drive across the border?
3. I don't know if I can get PRTD quickly in India right now. The current processing times might be higher than normal due to Covid. Any idea how the long the delay is as of now?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance
If you are going to drive across the border then you can use your COPR.

saiyanprince

Oct 29, 2020
If you are going to drive across the border then you can use your COPR.
So the rules are slightly different in the covid days now. I have received a PR confirmation document which says "I am now a permanent resident of Canada". The same letter also has a COPR document No. But I was told clearly that the letter I received is not a CoPR but an approval letter(which just happens to have the CoPR document #). I do not have the actual CoPR document yet since IRCC has changed the process recently due to covid for applicants inside Canada. Do you think I should be fine just by showing the approval letter which by law indicates that I am a PR?

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your time