+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RE: Cousin Sponsorship

tmagalona

Apr 10, 2012
Hi. My family (me, my parents and my sister) are already here in Canada, all with permanent resident status.

We would like to sponsor one of my parents' niece, who is single with no dependent child and she is 25 years of age and currently lives abroad.

My father has not yet applied to be a valid sponsor via CPC (Case Processing Center) but I believe he is eligible to sponsor a family based on the qualifications posted at the CIC website.

I just want to make verify if my understanding of the conditions posted at the CIC website is correct.

Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:

1) brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship

2) another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)

3) accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
So my cousin is clearly over aged, BUT i would like to clear/ask/verify if my father can still sponsor my cousin on the basis of the conditions listed above?

first my mom, my sister and I are all already here in Canada. parents/grandparents new applications are currently on hold, my father doesn't have a sibling/uncle/aunt who is under 18.

but we are having some confusion on the nephew and niece conditions.

aside from my cousin who is 25 years old, who we would prefer to sponsor, my father still has a couple of nephews and nieces all under 18 years old but we are pretty sure that their parents won't even consider having their children come to Canada.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
To me, it sounds like he can't. He has relatives in Canada who are permanent residents - wife, son, daughter. So that would exclude him from sponsoring his niece.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tmagalona said:
So my cousin is clearly over aged, BUT i would like to clear/ask/verify if my father can still sponsor my cousin on the basis of the conditions listed above?
you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident

With a spouse and children, your dad most definitely has relatives who are Canadian PRs, so he is ineligible to sponsor the cousin. She would need to find some other way to immigrate here outside of family class.

aside from my cousin who is 25 years old, who we would prefer to sponsor, my father still has a couple of nephews and nieces all under 18 years old but we are pretty sure that their parents won't even consider having their children come to Canada.
1) brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned

Since you state they have parents, they are not orphaned so wouldn't be eligible to be sponsored under family class anyways.

tmagalona

Apr 10, 2012
thank you for your responses. yup, i've overlooked some few details on the conditions noted.

i'll try to look for the (SINP) SK Immigrant Nominee Program process application to check if that would work.

have a great day everyone.