+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP Police Clearance

TdotJatt

Nov 10, 2008
Hello all,
I recieved an email from CIC, Buffalo stating that they need Fingerprint check. The link the send me is for the RCMP website and according to their website. it will take atleast 120 days or more depending on their workload.

I am little confused with all this. Could someone please tell me how this process works and how long it takes to get that letter or certificate?? Is there any way to fasten up this process, like sending a letter from my Immigration lawyer or any other way so tht this can be done quick, other than waiting for 4-5 mnths.

All I have right now is the file number and now this email...What this suppose to mean?? Will I be expecting Medical anytime soon or only after they recieve my Fingerprint clearance certificate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Need more info. Are you in Canada?

If you are in Canada, you can speed up the RCMP clearance by using a real-time electronic service - RCMP says they try to complete it in 72 hours (if there is no record). http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm

Electronic fingerprinting is done by a private service, such as Commissionaires - of course it costs a little more.
http://www.commissionaires.ca/national/en/services-personal/personal-police-clearances/?gclid=CIHKxIXn_p8CFZdM5QodRzu5kg

If there is no Commissionaires near you, you can ask at your local police station about the nearest electronic fingerprinting service.

If you are not in Canada, you cannot submit electronically. You'll just have to submit the paper-based fingerprints and hope they complete it sooner that 120 days....

natali

Jan 15, 2010
if you are in toronto then go to FIPS These people get you your RCMP police clearance in just 3 days. They charge around $50 per person I guess. I got mine done from them.

Good Luck

TdotJatt

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for your input guys :). I am little confused here. This is what I got in email from CIC..

A fingerprint check is required for you, please follow the instructions below and send to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo when you receive the assessed prints.

Have your fingerprints taken by your local RCMP detachment or local police service.

The RCMP will send the results of your criminal record check to the Canadian Consulate and will not return your fingerprints to you.

Ok, My question is they are asking me to send them the assessed prints that I will recieve from RCMP and then in the last line they are saying that RCMP will not send me the results but will send it to Canadian Consulate. How they gonna do that?? Do I need to mention somewhere in my application that this needs to be send to Canadian Consulate or do I need to send a Disclosure of Information to RCMP along with my application?? If RCMP is sending me the results then do I need to send a prepaid envelope along with my application to RCMP??

And plus they are saying that this needs to be done by RCMP detachment or local police service. I know there are some private agencies who are authorized by RCMP. Do I need to get it done only from RCMP detachment or local police service or I can get it done from any authorized agency???If Yes, will Canadian Consulate accept it?? Do I need to tell this people that I want electronic fingerprinting?? Is this electronic will be accepted by Canadian Consulate?? Any Specific in GTA??

Please advise. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.... ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

TdotJatt said:
Thanks for your input guys :). I am little confused here. This is what I got in email from CIC..

A fingerprint check is required for you, please follow the instructions below and send to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo when you receive the assessed prints.

Have your fingerprints taken by your local RCMP detachment or local police service.

The RCMP will send the results of your criminal record check to the Canadian Consulate and will not return your fingerprints to you.

Ok, My question is they are asking me to send them the assessed prints that I will recieve from RCMP and then in the last line they are saying that RCMP will not send me the results but will send it to Canadian Consulate. How they gonna do that?? Do I need to mention somewhere in my application that this needs to be send to Canadian Consulate or do I need to send a Disclosure of Information to RCMP along with my application?? If RCMP is sending me the results then do I need to send a prepaid envelope along with my application to RCMP??

And plus they are saying that this needs to be done by RCMP detachment or local police service. I know there are some private agencies who are authorized by RCMP. Do I need to get it done only from RCMP detachment or local police service or I can get it done from any authorized agency???If Yes, will Canadian Consulate accept it?? Do I need to tell this people that I want electronic fingerprinting?? Is this electronic will be accepted by Canadian Consulate?? Any Specific in GTA??

Please advise. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.... ;D
1. Get the prints done digitally at one of the providers listed http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob116.asp and have the provider send the results to Buffalo,

PMM

tran

May 10, 2009
I sent my set of fingerprints to RCMP Ottawa on 5th Oct 2009. Today, 23rd Feb 2010, I am still
waiting for my passport request from CIC.

StevenChang

Aug 25, 2009
I also got an similar e-mail from Buffalo that asked me to have a finger print Criminal check in July. My wife and I did it in local police station with traditional ink and mailed it to RCMP in Ottwa with my file number and Buffalo address on the form in end of July.

In Sept., I got the letter from Buffalo that indicated they have completed the initial assessment of my application, and expect to finalize my application without a personal interview. The letter also indicated that in order to continued processing of my application, I need to have the 1.) medical examinations within 60 days ; and submit the documents indicated on the enclosed "document list" within 90 days from the days of the letter.

After checking the "documents lists", it asked me to submit original letters of "no record" or certificates of "good conduct" for the following family members from the countries indicated:
Principal Applicant: RCMP (Canada).

ONe thing that makes me confused here is I alreay did the fingerprint check and mailed it to Ottwa in July, why they still asked me to submit the police certificate? Is it a different police certificate?
Should I apply the RCMP fingerprint police certificate as I did in July again, but this time I need to get the original letter of results and mail it to Buffalo by myself?
or does this mean RPO Buffalo still not receive my finger-print results when writing the letter in Sept.? If so, what I should do?
Does anyone have similar situation?
Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
StevenChang said:
After checking the "documents lists", it asked me to submit original letters of "no record" or certificates of "good conduct" for the following family members from the countries indicated:
Principal Applicant: RCMP (Canada).

ONe thing that makes me confused here is I alreay did the fingerprint check and mailed it to Ottwa in July, why they still asked me to submit the police certificate?

As noted above in this same thread, if you do the paper-based fingerprint check, the RCMP says it will take up to 120 days (4 months). So if you mailed the prints in July, it is likely that the report has not yet been processed.

It is likely that the RCMP certificate will be sent in time, however, as advised above in this same thread, if you want to be sure that CHC-Buffalo receives the prints in time, you should use one of the electronic fingerprinting services (see the liinks above)

Peter2324

Feb 28, 2012
Based on my experience, I can reply some of the questioned raised by PMM. When you go to a fingerprinting agency for submission of fingerprints for electronic transmission to the RCMP , you can provide the address of immigration office taking care of your case and your file number. The fingerprinting agency has an option to request the RCMP to send the results directly to the immigration office.

The private fingerprinting agencies in Canada are duly accredited and certified by the RCMP to submit fingerprints to the RCMP for civil purposes. Try to find an agency who has livescan device to capture the fingerprints digitally and to transmit fingerprints electronically to the RCMP far fast processing.

I went to Worldwide Forensic Services Inc. in Toronto for my fingerprinting needs. They charged only $39 plus HST and provided excellent service.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Is there an "expiry date" to those RCMP police certificates? They should not be more than xx days old?

I'm thinking that if I need to go back to my home country, I can do it now, otherwise it will be alot of hassle if I have to go back to my country. I will just do it in advance. If it's $39, I will gladly do that, regardless of whether I'd need it or not later.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
shells said:
Is there an "expiry date" to those RCMP police certificates? They should not be more than xx days old?

I'm thinking that if I need to go back to my home country, I can do it now, otherwise it will be alot of hassle if I have to go back to my country. I will just do it in advance. If it's $39, I will gladly do that, regardless of whether I'd need it or not later.
Hmmm, I understand your logic, but the problem has to do with your question...

CIC does name-based checks for ALL applicants. If the name-based check is not clear (meaning, it turns up a criminal record for someone who has your name), the only way to make sure whether the record is yours or not is based on a fingerprint check.

So - theoretically, you could do a preemptive fingerprint check (again, no more than 3 months before you apply), and while you're waiting for your application to be processed, a criminal record appears with the same name as you, AFTER you did the fingerprint check, in which case, you'd have to do it again. So - not terribly likely, but possible.

I would only worry about the fingerprint check if you have a common name. You can google your name and see if a lot of other people show up...