+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP clearance scope for employment

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
I have three questions:
1. How often employers ask for criminal record? My understanding is that the employer cannot collect your fingerprint and you will need to police station to submit fingerprint, so you will need to do the RCMP process your own and give the result to the employer?
2. I know RCMP gives criminal records both in the US and Canada. Does it show records abroad, like the EU, UK and Australia etc.?
3. Is it possible to request RCMP check just for your reference?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
I dont have deep knowledge on this, but you can go through the process - https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/criminal-record-checks

1. Depends on employer. Yes you would have to undergo entire process and submit it to your employer.
2. Not sure, but guess records from aboard are not included in the report
3. Not sure what does " for reference" mean. I suggest you call rcmp local police service and check with them

Reactions: pityman

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
I dont have deep knowledge on this, but you can go through the process - https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/criminal-record-checks

1. Depends on employer. Yes you would have to undergo entire process and submit it to your employer.
2. Not sure, but guess records from aboard are not included in the report
3. Not sure what does " for reference" mean. I suggest you call rcmp local police service and check with them
many thanks, just to follow up:

1. Do employers still check your criminal record after employed? (i.e. in a continuing basis)
2. I guess also. I have checked the many databases covered in RCMP check, seems no abroad criminal record. What deals with "abroad" is terrorist, fugitive and wanted persons
3. I mean, do I need a reason to apply for RCMP criminal record check? Can I say to police, "just for my reference" or "I just wanna check, no particular reason". In some countries, apply for criminal record check requires a reason and proof.

D

Deleted member 1083629

1. Do employers still check your criminal record after employed? (i.e. in a continuing basis)
No. Unless you join a position where you need Security Clearance. In that case, they will check pretty much everything (kind of like IRCC does)

know RCMP gives criminal records both in the US and Canada. Does it show records abroad, like the EU, UK and Australia etc.?
RCMP doesn't, AFAIK. They are local. In other words, they check local databases. Unless, your position requires Security Clearance.

RCMP doesn't really do background checks for employment lol. There is 3rd parties that have access to local DBs and run quick background check based on your Name and SIN.

Reactions: pityman

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
No. Unless you join a position where you need Security Clearance. In that case, they will check pretty much everything (kind of like IRCC does)

RCMP doesn't, AFAIK. They are local. In other words, they check local databases. Unless, your position requires Security Clearance.

RCMP doesn't really do background checks for employment lol. There is 3rd parties that have access to local DBs and run quick background check based on your Name and SIN.
So the "3rd party" is something private company, commercial-based, right? But the record they will be still local??

D

Deleted member 1083629

Then I think position that needs Security Clearance is not that many indeed. Those position I can think of are, for example, national defense, senior role in banking, doctors etc.
Lol nope. There are positions that exist in your regular day-2-day jobs that will require security clearance. Software Engineer in RBC will need 1 IF he deals with building platform for processing user data.