+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP check - processing time

charloux

Apr 6, 2010
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone has had to deal with the processing of fingerprints for the RCMP background check? In mid-May, CIC requested that my husband sent in his fingerprints to the RCMP for a background check. We sent them using FedEx, by late-May, within the 30 day limit. I have since contacted the RCMP 2 times to see if they have received his fingerprints, but I have gotten the same response back,
"Given the information sent, the application has not reached our system
at this time. Due to our quality control process, this does not mean
that they are not in the building."

I know that it takes a while (3-5 months) for them to process, but would we have at least received news that they had obtained his fingerprints? Or do they just input them into the system once they begin processing them (in 3-5 months)?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Well, if they're anything like the FBI, they don't open the request until they're ready to process - so until then, there's no record of receipt in their system. RCMP used to quote a timeframe of 120+ days, but then the FBI used to be able to process expedited requests in 3 weeks or less. Now it's taking them 3+ months - so the RCMP might be experiencing the same.

You can get an RCMP report in 72 hours using digital fingerprinting through places like Commissionaires although it's expensive and there is some question as to whether you can get that without a written request from CIC . . . although you did say your husband was requested to submit a fingerprint clearance from the RCMP, so you possibly already have what you need to get the clearance sent to CIC within 72 hours or so through Commissionaires. Just depends on whether you're willing to pay for it - I know I was quoted $52.50 for ink prints needed for my FBI that I wanted to get through them, which was double what I paid to get them through our local police station.

charloux

Apr 6, 2010
Thank you for the reply!
This was the assurance I needed: "they don't open the request until they're ready to process - so until then, there's no record of receipt in their system." There is still a small chance it may have never gotten there, but it looks like it has just not reached the system.
Now I just need to hope that there will be no problems with his fingerprints or the form (if it was improperly completed).

My husband cannot get the digital fingerprints because he is in Indonesia, and I don't think that they have the technology there nor the means to digitally forward them to the RCMP. I wish that this technology was available globally. Probably in a few years time it will be!

I heard that the RCMP has been backed up since 911! And that now they are getting more background checks than ever before.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I admit, I did my fingerprints and sent them to Ottawa before by application went to Vegreville.

As far as I know, the fingerprints are just kept on file and CIC then request the information from the RCMP when needed.

At no time did I have any conformation that the RCMP had received the fingerprints nor did I get any notification from CIC about them. I assumed that this was all done internally between the RCMP and CIC.

My PR application was completed in just under 8 months Inland.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
charloux said:
Hey thanks.
Wow, inland 8 months! That's really good! Congrats.
If you have what is called a 'clean' application (this is the word CIC use), then 8 months is pretty much a normal time line Inland.

First stage approval took 7 months and my landing date was 4 weeks later. I landed in Vancouver, some offices are back logged and can take a few months to land. When i landed, there were 12 other people with me and the CIC officer did state that this was one of the smallest intakes she had ever seen. Seems at the moment Vancouver office is not over whelmed with Inland applicants. Lucky me.

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
I have had a similar problem, immigration asked for my husbands passport and fingerprints in January - its now august and we still dont have them! My MP, the IO and my lawyer have all emailed the RCMP and its been 3 weeks and we havent heard from them. How long did it take them to respond to your requests? Do you have any new news? (charloux)

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
for the criminal record check, anyone who has been in canada for more than 6 months needs it

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MrsCasanova said:
for the criminal record check, anyone who has been in canada for more than 6 months needs it
No, only if CIC/CHC asks for it. Read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys guys guys do not waste time and money getting fingerprints. u do only if CIC specialy asks for it.

just do the regular one plz

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
ok well either way my husband did have to have them, they did ask and he went and got them. we are asking about processing times here not debating on whether or not a person needs it

marinerito

Mar 16, 2012
I have 2 years in canada any criminal record here Canada or US ,i send my fingerprints for fbi usa,fbi utah, and criminal record from my country and they reply me betwen 1 week to 3 weeks and canada rcmp nothing , i make my fingerprints electronic for fast reply but any response i send 2 emails and the same ,somebody know what happen? :'(

isend email

i call to the phone number i leave a message and any reply ??? :eek: :'(

Im really confused why is long long time now is 4 weeks (electronic way) :eek: