Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Im Canadian citizen and receiving CCB. We applied for PR in October and he got OWP in January 2020. My understanding is that he should do his tax return even if he didn't have income in 2019. But is he supposed to receive something like GST? Does he have to fill that form? If I receive CCB and GST, it means he is not receiving anything so does he have to fill any of those forms?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Im Canadian citizen and receiving CCB. We applied for PR in October and he got OWP in January 2020. My understanding is that he should do his tax return even if he didn't have income in 2019. But is he supposed to receive something like GST? Does he have to fill that form? If I receive CCB and GST, it means he is not receiving anything so does he have to fill any of those forms?
He can file a tax return for 2019 but he doesn't need to.

GST credit and CCB are based on family income and only one payment is issued to the family, so he doesn't get a separate payment. The amounts you receive do factor in his income or lack thereof. Did you update your marital status with CRA? Did you declare his worldwide income during the time he was outside of Canada for credit/benefit calculations?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
He can file a tax return for 2019 but he doesn't need to.

GST credit and CCB are based on family income and only one payment is issued to the family, so he doesn't get a separate payment. The amounts you receive do factor in his income or lack thereof. Did you update your marital status with CRA? Did you declare his worldwide income during the time he was outside of Canada for credit/benefit calculations?
Thanks for your reply. He hasn't work in 2019 but I have updated my marital status and declared his income with mine when he was working. So if I understand correctly, he doesn't have to fill up the RC66 or the other documents for newcomers which are usually for CRA to calculate the credits he can get. One question, in regards to citizenship, you need a certain number of tax returns filed (3?) so would it be a good reason to fill one up for 2019? He is waiting for his SIN as he applied by mail.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply. He hasn't work in 2019 but I have updated my marital status and declared his income with mine when he was working. So if I understand correctly, he doesn't have to fill up the RC66 or the other documents for newcomers which are usually for CRA to calculate the credits he can get. One question, in regards to citizenship, you need a certain number of tax returns filed (3?) so would it be a good reason to fill one up for 2019? He is waiting for his SIN as he applied by mail.
Filing for 2019 won't have any effect on a citizenship app.