Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Thanks everyone, I am not on social assistance. finding a job without driving license seems almost impossible.
That's just not true. There are many people who use public transportation to go to work. Not the most reliable I agree, but definitely an option.

Obviously you won't get a sales job requiring frequent visits to customers outside the office without that driving license. But for a factory or typical office job, if you organize yourself well it is certainly doable.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Hello everybody

I want to share my situation that I faced here in Canada British Colombia and I need advice what to do.
we were a refugee family and got Permanent residency once we landed (we are PR from the first day)
I landed with my family of 4 persons in July 2018. I opened an account with RBC BANK I got the member card in mail after a 2 weeks a friend told me you need to apply for a credit card as you are newcomer ! so I went back to RBC the other day and applied as newcomer they said you are not eligible for Credit Card as you are very new here in Canada... you should apply for secured Credit Card and I said yes I put the limit of 500$ and after one week the bank called to inform me that my application was denied ! they said I'm are not working...
I must work at least 4-6 moths then I will be eligible to get a Credit card ! also they said I do not have a previous address in Canada so how come ? I am new here why I must rent twice ? and why they opened and account for me ! I'm here for 7 months with no credit card.......all my friends that arrived before me they have a credit card already from the first time they arrive they are also refugees .
so I feel there is something not correct with this thing as they have program for newcomers to Canada.

Please what I should do in order to get a credit card from RBC or any other bank that may offer me.

what do you think of my story ?
Thank you !
1) Try another bank or even go to a different branch of RBC
2) When opening my account as a newcomer I was able to provide my out of the country address (my last address before moving to Canada). They didn't seem to be very strict about it. It is just that the system is set up so that this must be provided to move to the next step.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
In my case they checked my COPR. Keep in mind also that if you just landed it is unlikely that you have already received your PR card, which will take weeks if not months to be received.
We were not asked for COPR since we carried PR card. We were verbally asked PR stream and we said Skilled Worker.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would imagine many people had to show some proof of assets to qualify for a credit card if they were not working. Same for Canadians. Never hurts to contact other banks. They can only say no so no harm in trying.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My mom-in-law landed a few months back as PR (I co-sponsored her), and just a while ago I took her to RBC to open both chequing account and credit card - taking advantage of the newcomer's package. The bank manager typed in her sin number and verified she has no credit history. She was being told that she would get the mastercard in a week. Therefore, I'm not sure why the OP cannot get a RBC credit card. The bank manager did not ask for her proofs of her assets in her country and I told her that she's not working and I pay for her daily needs and accomodation.

I showed the manager her COPR, just to let be safe that she is eligible for the newcomer's package.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mom-in-law landed a few months back as PR (I co-sponsored her), and just a while ago I took her to RBC to open both chequing account and credit card - taking advantage of the newcomer's package. The bank manager typed in her sin number and verified she has no credit history. She was being told that she would get the mastercard in a week. Therefore, I'm not sure why the OP cannot get a RBC credit card. The bank manager did not ask for her proofs of her assets in her country and I told her that she's not working and I pay for her daily needs and accomodation.

I showed the manager her COPR, just to let be safe that she is eligible for the newcomer's package.
Think the fact that most refugees don't arrive with many assets is the reason. The fact that he has been in Canada for 3 years without a job doesn't help. You must be supporting yourself if you are not receiving social assistance so I would bring proof your savings even if it is from another country.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Think the fact that most refugees don't arrive with many assets is the reason. The fact that he has been in Canada for 3 years without a job doesn't help. You must be supporting yourself if you are not receiving social assistance so I would bring proof your savings even if it is from another country.
But still, for my relative's newcomer case, no proof of assets, job, income and savings were needed to get a credit card.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like the person landed with the 30,000 refugees who got PR upon landing is how I interpreted the statement.
Where did get the number 30,000? Did the OP made a conversation with you and telling you this?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
How would bank know if someone became a PR through FSW program. I checked my PR card and it does not say FSW or anything similar. My wife recently got an unsecured credit card of limit 2000 from RBC. She is not working and has not worked in last 6 years.
Look at the back - it's the Category code.