+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RBC refused to issue a Credit Card | refugee with PR

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hello everybody

I want to share my situation that I faced here in Canada British Colombia and I need advice what to do.
we were a refugee family and got Permanent residency once we landed (we are PR from the first day)
I landed with my family of 4 persons in July 2018. I opened an account with RBC BANK I got the member card in mail after a 2 weeks a friend told me you need to apply for a credit card as you are newcomer ! so I went back to RBC the other day and applied as newcomer they said you are not eligible for Credit Card as you are very new here in Canada... you should apply for secured Credit Card and I said yes I put the limit of 500$ and after one week the bank called to inform me that my application was denied ! they said I'm are not working...
I must work at least 4-6 moths then I will be eligible to get a Credit card ! also they said I do not have a previous address in Canada so how come ? I am new here why I must rent twice ? and why they opened and account for me ! I'm here for 7 months with no credit card.......all my friends that arrived before me they have a credit card already from the first time they arrive they are also refugees .
so I feel there is something not correct with this thing as they have program for newcomers to Canada.

Please what I should do in order to get a credit card from RBC or any other bank that may offer me.

what do you think of my story ?
Thank you !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are on social assistance the risk of unable to be able to repay your credit card is very high. After you have been working for 6 months your chances are much better.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You aren’t employed so you are a bad risk for the bank. Just because they have a newcomer program doesn’t mean you are entitled to a credit card. Same as everyone else, you need to prove you are not a risk. Go get a job.

Reactions: rexizzl

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello everybody

I want to share my situation that I faced here in Canada British Colombia and I need advice what to do.
we were a refugee family and got Permanent residency once we landed (we are PR from the first day)
I landed with my family of 4 persons in July 2018. I opened an account with RBC BANK I got the member card in mail after a 2 weeks a friend told me you need to apply for a credit card as you are newcomer ! so I went back to RBC the other day and applied as newcomer they said you are not eligible for Credit Card as you are very new here in Canada... you should apply for secured Credit Card and I said yes I put the limit of 500$ and after one week the bank called to inform me that my application was denied ! they said I'm are not working...
I must work at least 4-6 moths then I will be eligible to get a Credit card ! also they said I do not have a previous address in Canada so how come ? I am new here why I must rent twice ? and why they opened and account for me ! I'm here for 7 months with no credit card.......all my friends that arrived before me they have a credit card already from the first time they arrive they are also refugees .
so I feel there is something not correct with this thing as they have program for newcomers to Canada.

Please what I should do in order to get a credit card from RBC or any other bank that may offer me.

what do you think of my story ?
Thank you !
Check with TD they provide you an option to apply for a CC if you open a bank account with them...

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Thanks everyone, I am not on social assistance. finding a job without driving license seems almost impossible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are still likely to need proof of some assets.
Thanks everyone, I am not on social assistance. finding a job without driving license seems almost impossible.
No income is the same thing. with no income it is an unnecessary risk to offer someone a credit card.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I don't think it is really about a second address and more about the lack of history in Canada.
I agree with this. I opened an account with RBC and when I landed and requested a credit card, the guy at the bank specifically told me they were allowed to offer me an unsecured card because I became a PR through the FSW stream (indicating educated and they assumed I could find a job in my field). I could be wrong but I think that part of what is playing into effect here is gaining PR through the Refugee stream, combined with not having a job.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I agree with this. I opened an account with RBC and when I landed and requested a credit card, the guy at the bank specifically told me they were allowed to offer me an unsecured card because I became a PR through the FSW stream (indicating educated and they assumed I could find a job in my field). I could be wrong but I think that part of what is playing into effect here is gaining PR through the Refugee stream, combined with not having a job.
How would bank know if someone became a PR through FSW program. I checked my PR card and it does not say FSW or anything similar. My wife recently got an unsecured credit card of limit 2000 from RBC. She is not working and has not worked in last 6 years.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How would bank know if someone became a PR through FSW program. I checked my PR card and it does not say FSW or anything similar. My wife recently got an unsecured credit card of limit 2000 from RBC. She is not working and has not worked in last 6 years.
Perhaps, they look at her COPR?

Reactions: mgnlky

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
In my case they checked my COPR. Keep in mind also that if you just landed it is unlikely that you have already received your PR card, which will take weeks if not months to be received.

Reactions: mgnlky