+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - STEM Draw

TTBR

Star Member
Dec 15, 2022
Watched a video of PP saying Marc Miller doesn't agree with Sean Fraser's numbers. I think not a very positive way. Even me as a newcomer is feeling pretty odd given the shift in sentiment around immigration in Canada.
It's interesting to see if Bill C-19 interpretation by IRCC could be changed significantly... New groups / new approach to category based draws, etc.

TTBR

Star Member
Dec 15, 2022
Transport draw has happened. Only Agriculture and agri-food occupations group left. So, maybe there will be a chance for STEM draw after one more week of draws. Late october at best...

nad_16

Star Member
Nov 19, 2022
Transport draw has happened. Only Agriculture and agri-food occupations group left. So, maybe there will be a chance for STEM draw after one more week of draws. Late october at best...
Hope for the best!

TTBR

Star Member
Dec 15, 2022
#265– September 26, 2023
No Program Specified
Number of invitations issued:
Date and time of round: September 26, 2023 at 13:38:55 UTC
CRS score of lowest-ranked candidate invited: 504
Tie-breaking rule: September 11, 2023 at 20:24:18 UTC

Who knows, maybe STEM draw is coming... there was no announcement for Agriculture. At least as of now.

V3434

Sep 27, 2023
I have a score of 483 and Work Permit ending on May 2024 what are chances of getting ITA before that?

Posting here as I am eligible for STEM Category

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a score of 483 and Work Permit ending on May 2024 what are chances of getting ITA before that?

Posting here as I am eligible for STEM Category
No guarantees. Can you increase your score? Have you maxed out IELTS?

aalalapaai

Sep 12, 2023
Take the NOI. You are wasting an opportunity right there.
May look stupid but I decided not to. I only missed the B2 French TEF for speaking by 5 points (needed 310, had 305), while making it for the rest, and it's cheaper to prepare better and redo the exam. Which I don't really want to do but it seems a bit better than having the extra responsibilities related to Ontario, after all I'm not even sure that I'll settle there and not decide to go to Vancouver for instance.

Still it looks so strange that there are draws now but no STEM draws.
But it actually start looking logical if I think about it more... They announced that 28-31% of invitations should be STEM, but they don't need STEM category draws for that, enough STEM people have high scores anyway. So, in fact, despite that it looked positive to STEM people when it was announced, Canada actually wants less of them and scores for them in fact went up – i.e. now one needs 500+ to pass while in the beginning of the year it was fluctuating around 485-488.
I'm also looking at the 2022 report that was just released, and software engineers and similar are the most popular occupation.

I came up with this fully myself, but maybe anyone had the same thoughts..?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
May look stupid but I decided not to. I only missed the B2 French TEF for speaking by 5 points (needed 310, had 305), while making it for the rest, and it's cheaper to prepare better and redo the exam. Which I don't really want to do but it seems a bit better than having the extra responsibilities related to Ontario, after all I'm not even sure that I'll settle there and not decide to go to Vancouver for instance.

But it actually start looking logical if I think about it more... They announced that 28-31% of invitations should be STEM, but they don't need STEM category draws for that, enough STEM people have high scores anyway. So, in fact, despite that it looked positive to STEM people when it was announced, Canada actually wants less of them and scores for them in fact went up – i.e. now one needs 500+ to pass while in the beginning of the year it was fluctuating around 485-488.
I'm also looking at the 2022 report that was just released, and software engineers and similar are the most popular occupation.

I myself and many here have made such calculations, sadly we have not been able to predict anything right. Do what you feel confident with, but make sure that you are always aware of the risk. Cheers!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

People have been doing their own math and predications for years. Ultimately it's impossible to say what will happen. You might be right. You may be wrong. The only thing we can say for sure is that IRCC is unpredictable. We've seen plenty of people here gamble on turning down NOI (or even ITA) and have this work out - and plenty where it hasn't.