+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1006777

Some finished their M.Sc recently and doing a PhD now. They’re on a study permit and working part-time! Now you know how.
If they graduated with an MSc, they can still apply for a PR under the new stream. If they are doing a combined master's and PhD, they can still get a 3 year PGWP and easily get a year of experience in those 3 years to go through CEC, by which time, pandemic related issues will have been dealt with. Your argument holds no water.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1006777

It is not a disaster. That's just not true.

Doses per 100 people (average over the last 7 days):
  • US: 0.96
  • Canada: 0.74
Vaccination speed has significantly accelerated here. And the government recently announced that Pfizer will be delivering 6 million additional vaccines from May to June. That's 40 million doses total received by the end of June (total population is only 38 million)
48.7 million! Just doses from pfizer alone can cover the entire adult population in Canada by June, and that's not even counting those who will refuse a vaccine. Plus there's 300k J&J single shots in May (with more to follow) and about 10 mil (instead of 12) moderna doses still coming in by June. Plenty of good news to go around. It's been slow, but they've met or exceeded every goal they've set so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElStu

Nov 9, 2017
If they graduated with an MSc, they can still apply for a PR under the new stream. If they are doing a combined master's and PhD, they can still get a 3 year PGWP and easily get a year of experience in those 3 years to go through CEC. Your argument holds no water.
One of the requirements is to be employed in Canada with a valid permit. They have a study permit and working part-time. Who told you that they’re eligible, i’ve seen a number of ppl saying they need a work permit. How come?

D

Deleted member 1006777

One of the requirements is to be employed in Canada with a valid permit. They have a study permit and working part-time. Who told you that they’re eligible, i’ve seen a number of ppl saying they need a work permit. How come?
Ah my bad. But why can't they graduate, get a work permit and go from there as usual? Getting a year of experience on a 3 year work permit shouldn't be that hard. The only thing being argued here is the degree of ease with with they can get a PR right? They still have extremely accessible paths to PR. The main beneficiaries of this stream are people who did PG diplomas and were struggling to get a year of experience on a short work permit. For regular master's/phd students, this just makes it easier and quicker. But even without the new stream they would've gotten their PRs a couple of years down the line anyway. I don't know, I don't really have much sympathy when the main issue is 'PR isn't quite as easy as it could have been'.

ElStu

Nov 9, 2017
Ah my bad. But why can't they graduate, get a work permit and go from there as usual? Getting a year of experience on a 3 year work permit shouldn't be that hard. The only thing being argued here is the degree of ease with with they can get a PR right? They still have extremely accessible paths to PR. The main beneficiaries of this stream are people who did PG diplomas and were struggling to get a year of experience on a short work permit. For regular master's/phd students, this just makes it easier and quicker. But even without the new stream they would've gotten their PRs a couple of years down the line anyway. I don't know, I don't really have much sympathy when the main issue is 'PR isn't quite as easy as it could have been'.
I understood some of what you said, but not the rest. Recent PhD students who have an M.Sc. know that they’ll get their PR anyways, and it’s not advisable to make decisions based on immigration news. But who knows what the next news may be? IRCC has yet to confirm whether a valid permit means a WP or Study permits are included as well, which would be marvelous indeed! We’ll see how things go.

D

Deleted member 1006777

I understood some of what you said, but not the rest. Recent PhD students who have an M.Sc. know that they’ll get their PR anyways, and it’s not advisable to make decisions based on immigration news. But who knows what the next news may be? IRCC has yet to confirm whether a valid permit means a WP or Study permits are included as well, which would be marvelous indeed! We’ll see how things go.
Hm. I meant to say most people currently studying can still go ahead get a PGWP and eventually apply through CEC. But this is a lifeline for people on a 1 year PGWP (after a 1 year diploma for instance) who wouldn't have met the CEC requirements. Anyone else who graduated, say in 2018, must have gotten a job or 1 year of experience by now to be able to survive in Canada till 2021, so they'll be eligible for PR one way or another. It's good news for them regardless, it's just a matter of whether they get an ITA this year or next.

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I think the fear is that they won't restart FSW because Canada is throwing out ITAs to inland categories, rendering FSW obsolete. A little baseless and irrational, but present nonetheless.
I guess becuz everyone thinks IRCC would reach to its target without FSW and they would possibly not need FSW this year

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
the "target" is not even the same anymore. the demographics of immigrants ircc needs apparently has changed. skilled people outside of canada are seem to be not needed at least for now. 2022 is secured thanks to the 90k. I personally don't expect any FSW draws between 2021 sept and 2022 sept so if there are no FSW draws until sept this year, maybe it's better to change plans and look out for ways that better fit the new game.
yes. That's what i thought a moment ago, The IRCC is just playing around creating a pool of candidates making it look competitive and it's not them who are affected. Why should the applicants waste their time and emotional well being for someone else's play

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
the "target" is not even the same anymore. the demographics of immigrants ircc needs apparently has changed. skilled people outside of canada are seem to be not needed at least for now. 2022 is secured thanks to the 90k. I personally don't expect any FSW draws between 2021 sept and 2022 sept so if there are no FSW draws until sept this year, maybe it's better to change plans and look out for ways that better fit the new game.
I do not agree with your opinion. I believe FSW draws will resume sometime soon by Sep.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
if
it wouldn't help anything or anyone. Canada doesn't owe anybody anything. what we see is a system change. until this year canada's top priority was merit, so CRS score was the sole factor of selection. right now due to the pandemic's economic damage, CRS score became irrelevant and the decisions are based solely on economic concerns, rightfully so. review this year's draws, you'll see that CRS score means nothing now. for years people have tried to maximize their scores, now it's a different game.

just my pseudo-logical 2c. I'm in the same boat, it all affects me the same way. I'd personally look for different ways to immigrate to canada if FSW draws don't come back till Sept-Oct.
if a lot of folks started planning to migrate to different countries which brings Canada's demand and glory down then there'll be some positive outcomes I hope. I have seen considerable amount of job applicants from International students in England the past several months and it seems the waves are reversing. This could have a considerable effect on Canada.

NavjotS123

Jul 6, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
it wouldn't help anything or anyone. Canada doesn't owe anybody anything. what we see is a system change. until this year canada's top priority was merit, so CRS score was the sole factor of selection. right now due to the pandemic's economic damage, CRS score became irrelevant and the decisions are based solely on economic concerns, rightfully so. review this year's draws, you'll see that CRS score means nothing now. for years people have tried to maximize their scores, now it's a different game.

just my pseudo-logical 2c. I'm in the same boat, it all affects me the same way. I'd personally look for different ways to immigrate to canada if FSW draws don't come back till Sept-Oct.

nonetheless, to add a bit of hope in all of this, the only true hope FSW has at this point is what the IRCC agents said during those campaign visits to the US universities in february and march this year. they went there just 1-2 months ago to promote FSW and it is even reported that they said FSW would return soon. How soon? well no one knows but I personally don't think they'd just go there to promote a stream they wouldn't reopen until 2023, and they definitely wouldn't say it'd be back soon.
IRCC agents do not create policies, ministers do. And the policy is pretty clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.