+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee2219

Nov 14, 2016
FSW inland(the one’s struggling to get that Canadian experience or are yet to get there)

The government may absorb these candidates with FSW-inland draws(immigration talk of the town here).
Any sources for the same? I'm one of them so I'm curious.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Who remembers this unexpected draw last year ?

Express Entry Draw March 23, 2020 #140

The Express Entry Draw took place on March 23, 2020, which was the 140th Express Entry Draw. The draw offered 3,232 ITA to those with a cut-off score of 467.
The situation is way different today ~

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Any sources for the same? I'm one of them so I'm curious.
They simply can't get enough CEC's to meet their target. Travel restrictions will be in place till the Fall atleast. They are likely picking inland candidates in stages. The big one was last month since Canadian experience has always been gold. They won't wait for the CEC's to fill up the pool.

They can also avoid the trouble of changing the EE system by filtering the pool and only considering inland applicants.

Just recently I had to resubmit my application due to an expired test report. I was asked whether i reside in Canada or not. It's easy to filter. Only IRCC can make it official.

The minister has even pinned a tweet and given multiple interviews emphasizing inland applicants. They don't want people to feel hopeless and leave I guess.

Last edited:

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
You are giving false hope to people with baseless claims. You generalized that state universities take mediocre students. So I gave you examples of some Public IVY's that require high GMAT. I proved you wrong AGAIN. It's pretty sad that you are attacking me because you don't have credible point to talk about. I will tell you it again. People who don't keep up with the job market will fail miserably in Canada. I have not got any clear answers to my questions. You simply change the goal post because people are questioning you. With this attitude, you will go places. Good luck.
When you need to differentiate yourself, the school should be the main differentiator. In those terms, people know it’s the Ivy’s and some other big names discussed.

When you need to further differentiate ‘state school’ vs ‘ a few superior state schools’, the initial purpose of trying to differentiate was just not met.

It’s like buying a used Mercedes and showing off. You could say things like ‘this was hot 4 years ago’ or ‘the guy hardly used his car’. The main reason we all know is the middle ranged new Merc is just too expensive.

Just like ‘hey, even a public Ivy needs a 700+ score’. It doesn’t prove anything other than just being a good test taker. It’s a holistic application process.

(I don’t have a Merc or any fancy car. Neither do I plan on getting one.)

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
Given that there have been no updates in my application since Dec 20 (also true for many people) it seems these applications are just being ignored and the so called 6 month timeline has been scrapped
They were explicity clear about that... "applications cannot be processed normally"

ConstanceM

Mar 1, 2021
One positive note: according to CNBC, the Biden administration is looking toward the middle of May to relax restrictions on travel across the borders with Mexico and Canada...

Reactions: BlindGoku

BlindGoku

Jul 9, 2020
You are picking the cream of the state universities.

Let’s be fair, that second paragraph was straight forward.

Now, I doubt that 710.

I know a couple of candidates with 750+, the last thing they wanted to talk about was their GMAT score.

When a score is the highlight, usually other elements are not that great.

It’s none of my business, but the way you view yourself as a better researcher, while others you claim don’t know to even write a resume— causes others to know more and judge.

Best of luck here in Canada !!
Thoughts on UBC?

BlindGoku

Jul 9, 2020
Sauder is a good school. Have you considered Rotman, Schulich, Ivey, Queens or Lazaridis ?
Considered some of those, but a bit pricey for me. I already have a MSc from a reputable USA university, just trying to get a degree from a recognized Canadian university, to help build canadian experience and start with a job that's not lower than the one I currently have.

Reactions: coolgal

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
Considered some of those, but a bit pricey for me. I already have a MSc from a reputable USA university, just trying to get a degree from a recognized Canadian university, to help build canadian experience and start with a job that's not lower than the one I currently have.
I had gone through a similar process of evaluation. I have an MBA from a top institute in India, but I thought it would be a good idea to get another one from Canada to transition into the workforce (and of course to build a Canadian network). From my research, Rotman and Ivey are head and shoulders above of the rest, but both have pretty strong constraints related to age. I fall just outside the top end of the age bracket that they want to have in the class.

Then I researched a bit more, spoke to the admissions team in many of these schools and understood that Canadian labour market is heavily region-centric. So regional schools are also a pretty good idea if you want to work for a top firm in that particular region. Thus I zeroed in on Desautels (McGill) and HEC Montreal as strong MBA options, and both were fine with my age. I've always wanted to live in Montreal also. Tuition is also quite low in HEC Montreal considering the Quebec education support given to these schools. Another good school there is John Molson at Concordia - also places very well in Montreal. But bear in mind that it'll be difficult for you to find a good job outside of Quebec with these schools. Same holds true for other provincially strong schools.

Reactions: Jakev and BlindGoku
D

Deleted member 1006777

Here's why I don't personally like the idea of getting another degree in Canada. Getting another degree would mean two years of paying high tuition and not making fulltime income. In those two years you could potentially just start a lower position and get to the same level you are now, and not have to pay hundreds of thousands in the process. In other words, in two years, instead of being at a net -$100,000, you'd be at a +$100,000, and close to the level you are at right now. The opportunity cost of yet another degree is far too high imo. And sadly, MBAs are getting super diluted as it is..

Plus I know several people who graduated from desautels and sauder and have been unable to find satisfactory jobs even after 6-8 months. Everyone I know at Rotman though seems to be in better shape. It's a small sample size though, and doesn't at all speak to the ''quality'' of the universities. Just observations.

Talal205

Star Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hey guys,
I'm a new member trying my best to understand the process.
As far as I understood from above posts, FSW candidates outside Canada with scores of 467 and above are getting ITAs but no further steps are taken, is that correct?
Will ITAs expire later on? if so, should a candidate restart the whole process from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.