+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
He can take all the time he needs. The more the travel restrictions are in place, the longer I can work outside of Canada without worrying about the PR stay obligation.
I’m curious. Are you a PR yet?
No. I got an ITA in 2018, had to decline it for health reasons.(wish we had 90 days to work on it vs 60 at that time).

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
The current immigration minister always drags his feet, and is not reassuring at all. He took a very long time to provide any Covid immigration relief to existing expats in the country.

It took a lot of peaceful demonstrations in front of his office. Even the media didn't want to pick it up initially. Only later there were a few articles, and finally some relief end of Jan. But for international $tudent$, they were very fast in terms of changing existing regulations: one can study outside the country and still get a work permit.

It was always frustrating getting answers from his office: always evasive and defensive. Typical politician.
At least they didn’t do what Australian govt did - ask all international students to leave the country. International students (or any temporary visa holders) never got any financial assistance, not to mention the ban to enter Australia imposed on all temporary visa holders.
I heard Canadian govt actually provided financial assistance to international students. Cannot imagine something like this happening in Australia.

Emil1

Aug 18, 2019
He can take all the time he needs. The more the travel restrictions are in place, the longer I can work outside of Canada without worrying about the PR stay obligation.
I’m curious. Are you a PR yet?
You know that in this thread there are many FSW waiting anxiously for the travel restrictions to be lifted so they can get an ITA?
If you didn't want to go to Canada in the first place and prefer to work in your own country, why did you went through all the troubles of getting a PR then?

Uncle Yayo

Jun 16, 2020
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
26-11-2020
AOR Received.
15-10-2020
Med's Done....
08-09-2020
Passport Req..
28-1-2021
You know that in this thread there are many FSW waiting anxiously for the travel restrictions to be lifted so they can get an ITA?
If you didn't want to go to Canada in the first place and prefer to work in your own country, why did you went through all the troubles of getting a PR then?
No need to attack him for what he said... he was being specific to his situation.. I don’t see why should find it insensitive.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
Many of us prefer to move once unemployment rate is lower and more stable, restrictions are lifted, and so on... I would say this is by the far the smartest move. There's no point on rushing to enter the country, if we'll find potential lockdowns, lack of job opportunities, etc. At least, in my home country I still have my job, and I can continue to save a few more bucks to make my first months after landing easier.

joconstantine

Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
Please forgive my insensitivity. Don't get me wrong, I hope for the FSW draws to come back as soon as possible.

Emil1

Aug 18, 2019
Many of us prefer to move once unemployment rate is lower and more stable, restrictions are lifted, and so on... I would say this is by the far the smartest move. There's no point on rushing to enter the country, if we'll find potential lockdowns, lack of job opportunities, etc. At least, in my home country I still have my job, and I can continue to save a few more bucks to make my first months after landing easier.
I agree that there is no need to rush into de country, but people who already got a CoPR can just wait knowing that they are already permanent residents and all they have to do is to wait.
People like me who are waiting to get an ITA are in a completely different situation. We worked hard to have high scores to get an ITA, and yet, we don't know if we will get one.
I also don't mind waiting, if the government would just give me an ITA so I can be in a safest place.

Please forgive my insensitivity. Don't get me wrong, I hope for the FSW draws to come back as soon as possible.
Don't worry, I know that we all look first at our own situation. I'll probably do the same after I get an ITA, and after I get a CoPR. It is just frustrating to not know what will happen.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
I agree that there is no need to rush into de country, but people who already got a CoPR can just wait knowing that they are already permanent residents and all they have to do is to wait.
People like me who are waiting to get an ITA are in a completely different situation. We worked hard to have high scores to get an ITA, and yet, we don't know if we will get one.
I also don't mind waiting, if the government would just give me an ITA so I can be in a safest place.
I totally get your point. I didn't receive the ITA in March for the matter of 2 days! Because of that, I had to wait up until September to get my ITA. Every single day became a countdown to the next draw, to the hope of the return of general draws... I know how stressful that is, and I really hope you'll get yours ASAP. Waiting for the ITA is wayyyy more stressful than the wait for the PPR.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
At least they didn’t do what Australian govt did - ask all international students to leave the country. International students (or any temporary visa holders) never got any financial assistance, not to mention the ban to enter Australia imposed on all temporary visa holders.
I heard Canadian govt actually provided financial assistance to international students. Cannot imagine something like this happening in Australia.
No, international students did not get any financial assistance. They were working on the frontlines risking everything.

CESB was only for citizens and PR's.

Canada only let temporary visa holders in if they held a job. They put pressure on the airline staff to impose these rules even though the website said otherwise. Airline staff were whatsapping embassy staff at the gate to decide who flies in. They didn't care what the government website said.(sort of a shadow policy).

Airline blamed the government, the government blames the airline.

The NDP is keeping the liberals in check. Its a minority government right now.

Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if they followed Australia. Sad to hear they did this, are the conservatives in power there ?

Last edited:

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Its a very smart thing to do. I know some people who got their Canadian citizenship and left to work outside/back to their old work place.

txlonghorn

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
Signed up today and went through the last 10 pages of this thread. Very interesting discussion.

I'm half Indian - raised in the middle east, spent a few years in India and the last 15 in the US. US citizen now, and received my ITA in the last FSW drawing (score was 468 - very lucky - would have been bumped down 5 points this year if I hadn't made it in). Visited Canada in 2018 & 2019, and loved it - the country is beautiful, the people (everyone from strangers to the air hostesss giving another asian couple instructions on how to hold their baby during take off) were much more approachable & friendlier than here in the US, and though there are probably few places where overt racism still exists, you can pick up subtle undertones in the US which I haven't sensed in Canada (granted, only visited for 1-2 weeks at a time).

I'm probably one of the privileged ones here and my opinions stem from where I am in life (easier to be rational - and demand rationality - when you're in a good place, easier to empathize when you're in a tough situation yourself) but I agree with some of what CoolGal and others have said - it's easy to keep your blinders on and hope for the best but factual information - whether you like the taste of it or not - may help someone else here, if not you. We as indians also generally like to 'manage' people and tell the world what to do (especially when it pertains to immigration policy) but dishing out thoughts on what is & isn't justice, what the CIC should or shouldn't do etc. is pointless - doubt anyone from the CIC is reading this thread, and we (all) see the world from our perspective and what environmental changes would produce the best results for our family. Canada (and canadian citizens) do the same - a mixed cultural pot, mind you.. who again, don't owe aspiring immigrants anything. Chances are we'd feel differently if it was our country in the crosshairs too.

I wish everyone the best and I look forward to being a member here (assuming I'm not booted off and hated on immediately) :D

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Visited Canada in 2018 & 2019, and loved it - the country is beautiful, the people (everyone from strangers to the air hostesss giving another asian couple instructions on how to hold their baby during take off) were much more approachable & friendlier than here in the US, and though there are probably few places where overt racism still exists, you can pick up subtle undertones in the US which I haven't sensed in Canada (granted, only visited for 1-2 weeks at a time).
There is covert racism in Canada for sure. It's usually hidden behind a smile.

Canada is a colored mosaic.

Racism is hidden on the pretext of 'preference'.

People in the small towns are very nice.

What I said about covert racism applies to the big towns. But $ is a great leveler, and one can stay immune to this racism here.

I have noticed that anyone can be a racist here regardless of race. Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.