+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope 62nd Draw

tj4canada

Star Member
Mar 17, 2017
_Harry_ said:
Its not about you are native or not. I have seen many native speakers did v bad in IELTS. Its how you express yourself in the exam.
Native speaking offers an advantage, but not a guarantee. I prepared carefully. I just didn't want to make anyone think I was able to do it as a second language.

When I said quantity, I clearly was thinking differently than some of you. I struggled to get 2 pages. I have no idea how I could have written 5 in that time. I'm guessing that I wrote an informal outline of what I wanted to say in each paragraph, using an Intro, 3 examples, Conclusion format. Transitional sentences, linking words, and conjunctions to show that I knew how to use them.

I'm pretty sure my husband did the same, but squeezed it on 1 page. He scored 8.

andieangel

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2017
Croatia
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
KingKurly said:
Goodbye Ray of Hope 61st Draw and Hello Ray of Hope 62nd Draw. Seems like i am not gonna get away without taking IELTS exam again and achieve CLB 9 although 15 points are on its way on June 6, still not going to be enough. Ah well.
It will come below 400, but it depends are you patient enough to wait, because this waiting period is killing me...

qgon123

Feb 12, 2017
andieangel said:
It will come below 400, but it depends are you patient enough to wait, because this waiting period is killing me...
CRS below 400 doesn't sound possible in the near future.

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
qgon123 said:
I concur. AFAIK, CIC would rather wait for 4-5 weeks for the pool to get more candidates than calling below 400 candidates on quick draw.
I has gone 415..it won't go beyond 405-7. You have to be 400+ to be considered for ITA.

KingKurly

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2017
Kathmandu
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qgon123 said:
Did you receive your remarking result?
Yes, i actually the first time i got the result was after the re-check. British Council decided to take it for re-check because the difference between R/W & L/S was huge. But it didn't make any difference i guess. It was my poor decision to take my test with a low quality pencil that let me down last time. It was humiliating. Ah well, better luck next time i guess lol.

qgon123

Feb 12, 2017
KingKurly said:
Yes, i actually the first time i got the result was after the re-check. British Council decided to take it for re-check because the difference between R/W & L/S was huge. But it didn't make any difference i guess. It was my poor decision to take my test with a low quality pencil that let me down last time. It was humiliating. Ah well, better luck next time i guess lol.
You will make it.

I got L8.5 R8 W7 S6.5, I've applied for the re-evaluation of the speaking module and the result is expected in the last week of May.

andieangel

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2017
Croatia
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
qgon123 said:
I didn't say it's gonna happen tomorrow, I said it's gonna happen, and my bet is till end of July it will happen. CIC needs to fill in their qouta and now in the whole pool there is not enough people to do that, so pure logic and math says that they need to dig deeper to get enough people for Canada's needs.

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
qgon123 said:
You will make it.

I got L8.5 R8 W7 S6.5, I've applied for the re-evaluation of the speaking module and the result is expected in the last week of May.
How much do they charge for the re-evaluation?

qgon123

Feb 12, 2017
andieangel said:
I didn't say it's gonna happen tomorrow, I said it's gonna happen, and my bet is till end of July it will happen. CIC needs to fill in their qouta and now in the whole pool there is not enough people to do that, so pure logic and math says that they need to dig deeper to get enough people for Canada's needs.
Yeah! I was hoping the same, but the magical entrance of high scorers in the pool made me think like that.

andieangel

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2017
Croatia
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
qgon123 said:
Yeah! I was hoping the same, but the magical entrance of high scorers in the pool made me think like that.
I know, it threw me off too, but don't lose hope!

monavy

Aug 20, 2013
qgon123 said:
at this point of time, there are only 6k people above 400. why do you think scores will not come down?

vimmy91

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
India
tj4canada said:
I only used the study guide from their website. I did timed practice. And I remember drawing the conclusion that getting to the second page really matters.
Can u please suggest me the websites.. ? Also, by second page u mean an extra sheet or the other side of given answer sheet ??

Sorry if i am asking a silly question. ???

vimmy91

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
India
_Harry_ said:
Its not about you are native or not. I have seen many native speakers did v bad in IELTS. Its how you express yourself in the exam.
Every module is created in a way that nobody, I repeat, nobody can cheat his/her way into it.
If you know what you are doing, only then you can score.

Plus, IELTS is very clear on every module and the band they give in it. In the official IELTS website, they have clearly mentioned what you need to do in each module to get good bands.
Every paper is marked on certain charateristics and it happens that we focus on one or two and miss few on the way resulting low score.

I have taken IELTS twice. Never took any training since using English in office for past 10+ year. Here is my experience:

First: I did well in L R & W..not so well in S because it was very tough.
Surprisingly, I got 7 in S and 8.5 in R. I was very sure about W that I will get 8+ but only got 6.5!
Like many I rely on quantity rather quality. I wrote 2 pages letter and 5-6 pages essay, but those examiners at IELTS are not kids.
They know how to rate your paper. Since I got 6.5 in W so it wasn't CLB9 for me. I had to retake it.

Second: I took it very seriously and was very attentive during L. I though I scored 38 and guessed 2. Mind you, it was very tough and questions were very tricky too. However I scored 9 in L.
S went very well..as per my expectations. I was very talkative but to the point. Was cheerful and the examiner was happy with me. I though I easily made 8..perhaps 8.5..turns out I only got 7.5! Surprised here again.
R was way tough than last time. I was in for a big surprise. Not even one section was easy. All full with trick questions. I scored 8.5 last time, I managed only 7.5 second time.
W was big gamble again. The essay and letter all seemed same like last time but I rely on quality rather quantity this time. Used some good vocab, stood on the topic and didn't deviate at all..was precise and focused. I again though I easily scored 8 but was surprised to get only 7.
This time I managed CLB9 with overall score of 8.

Bottom line, IELTS is very tough if you want to score good. Anyone can score 5-6-7. But when you want to differentiate yourself from the rest..7.5-8.5 needs a lot of effort and focus.
It also depends on the test. Sometimes some modules are walk in the park. Sometimes same modules can become nightmares. Prepare for both.

My Final advice:
1. Read the details from the website and see what all they need at each band and see if you are giving them everything to score big.
2. Do practice. Not just L and W..but S and R too. You never know what you might face.
3. Don't take any module lightly. Even if you have scored big in some module last time, it doesn't mean it will be same this time.

All the best!
Thanks for taking interest in my query and writing such a well explained reply. You are so true that its not necessary you will repeat your good performance in all the modules each time. Luck does play a big role.

I have also scored L-8.5, R-8.5,S-8, W-7. But in 2 different exams lol:
Its so frustrating to take it again nd again as i have taken it so many time And i end up being disappointed and frustrated.

As of now i just hope it goes below CRS:411. Fingers crossed.

Thank you again for the reply ! :)