+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 149th Draw - CEC

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Of course, what you said above is correct. But, you are talking about a select group of highly skilled individuals that would be in demand in most countries. What I said earlier is in reference to the vast majority
Again, the minority (Top US Business school graduates) and the majority (the applicants you are talking about) come through the FSW stream. If IRCC opens the doors and solicits the former, it cannot selectively ignore the latter.

Therefore, FSW (or general draws) will resume soon.

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Again, the minority (Top US Business school graduates) and the majority (the applicants you are talking about) come through the FSW stream. If IRCC opens the doors and solicits the former, it cannot selectively ignore the latter.

Nobody is saying they won't happen. They just won't happen anytime soon.

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......

Makes sense to me. As far as I know, everyone's still waiting on Trudeau to announce concrete plans in terms of reopening international border crossings for non-essential travel. There haven't really been many statements around that except those focused on the US-Canada border (and that was pushed back to the 3rd week in June).

Who knows, maybe FSWs get lucky and they start general draws as part of the next few. Or maybe there's something specific the govt is waiting for before doing so. Only they know.

Reactions: joconstantine

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Nobody is saying they won't happen. They just won't happen anytime soon.
Everyone, Canada included, is trying to open borders safely, as soon as possible.

Since steps are being taken to reopen the borders, FSW draws will resume soon.

How soon? Once travel restrictions ease up and healthcare professionals are not overwhelmed.

I am guessing August.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
So places like India and Brazil are on their way to reaching their 'peak' number of cases. So what should IRCC do, say when the situation within Canada gets better? Invite all FSWs and risk importing COVID from abroad and incurring a political disaster. Or restrict FSWs to certain country, causing another perceived injustice. I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Reactions: Rohit22

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
They already are inviting people from other countries - for example the applicant who got PNP from outside of the country. So per your rationale, they are already "importing" Covid from abroad.

In my opinion (which obviously does not matter whatsoever), they can wait out the peak (which I think is what they are doing), free up healthcare capacity, test everyone arriving and determine quarantine actions based on individual test results (positive people quarantine in hospitals/other facilities and negative people self quarantine in homes with added oversight).

From a Covid perspective, the biggest risk for Canada is the US. If they view it from an "importing Covid" standpoint, they should be closing the Canada-US border longer than closing the border to Brazil and India. Closing borders with the US will be a bigger economic impact which will in turn lead to a political disaster. Also, opening borders does not directly equal Covid clusters (thereby resulting in a political disaster) if performed mindfully and safely. However, I agree - the risk exists but can be mitigated.

I am not sure if it is even legal to restrict FSWs to a certain country (the legality of this has to be verified) and not sure if it aligns with the purpose of the stream.

I am guessing that FSW will resume (maybe with additional Covid related requirements upon arrival to Canada) once they are confident to open borders for international travel.

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
They already are inviting people from other countries - for example the applicant who got PNP from outside of the country. So per your rationale, they are already "importing" Covid from abroad.

In my opinion (which obviously does not matter whatsoever), they can wait out the peak (which I think is what they are doing), free up healthcare capacity, test everyone arriving and determine quarantine actions based on individual test results (positive people quarantine in hospitals/other facilities and negative people self quarantine in homes with added oversight).

From a Covid perspective, the biggest risk for Canada is the US. If they view it from an "importing Covid" standpoint, they should be closing the Canada-US border longer than closing the border to Brazil and India. Closing borders with the US will be a bigger economic impact which will in turn lead to a political disaster. Also, opening borders does not directly equal Covid clusters (thereby resulting in a political disaster) if performed mindfully and safely. However, I agree - the risk exists but can be mitigated.

I am not sure if it is even legal to restrict FSWs to a certain country (the legality of this has to be verified) and not sure if it aligns with the purpose of the stream.

I am guessing that FSW will resume (maybe with additional Covid related requirements upon arrival to Canada) once they are confident to open borders for international travel.
Agreed. The US currently has almost half the world's active COVID cases, and they're managing the crisis terribly (not that I'm surprised). So, high quality checks on that border should be a priority. That's not to say that airports, ports, etc. for other foreign travelers need to mirror the approach Canada takes to the US border. Treat different countries differently, if that's what's needed. If those foreign governments get upset, maybe they should treat their own citizens better and make public health more of a priority.

This whole notion of importing COVID is silly in my opinion. As has been said many times here, giving an FSW an ITA does not allow them to enter Canada the following day. There is then months of document submissions, followed by at least 6 months of application processing. Also, it is already mandatory for those who enter Canada to quarantine before going out in public, and that will apply, no doubt, to any FSW or other EE candidates when it comes time to enter Canada to activate their PR.

Economies have to keep going, travel needs to resume at some point, and the world has to keep turning despite this crisis. The current trends won't continue forever. And resuming general EE draws soon certainly won't suddenly change the landscape. It will give those who've been waiting as FSWs a shot at an ITA, however. I remain positive.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So you could maybe envisage a COVID test , which is only a point in time test anyway or if there is ever a vaccine either option becoming part of the immigration medical as opposed to some blanket country waiver.

Airline travel is likely to not be as it was for some time, so temperature checks departure/arrival and masks are likely to be with us for some time with or without any vaccine. Jury still probably out on immunity passports or as and when a vaccine a certificate given not enough known yet whether that only gives an individual protection but could still be a carrier.

For the world economy to survive though there has to be some thought into alternatives to quarantine given that in effect shuts a country off from everywhere else given like it or not air travel is a critical element.

Hopefully countries will learn from this given for sure this will not be the last pandemic either nature created or god forbid human created either by mistake or deliberate.

As for FSW have not read all the posts on this or any IRCC position but maybe something as simple as staffing issues same as with many other IRCC managed programs where some will come off worse than others, FSW maybe just happens to be that program

nat.abramovich

Apr 18, 2019
So you could maybe envisage a COVID test , which is only a point in time test anyway or if there is ever a vaccine either option becoming part of the immigration medical as opposed to some blanket country waiver.

Airline travel is likely to not be as it was for some time, so temperature checks departure/arrival and masks are likely to be with us for some time with or without any vaccine. Jury still probably out on immunity passports or as and when a vaccine a certificate given not enough known yet whether that only gives an individual protection but could still be a carrier.

For the world economy to survive though there has to be some thought into alternatives to quarantine given that in effect shuts a country off from everywhere else given like it or not air travel is a critical element.

Hopefully countries will learn from this given for sure this will not be the last pandemic either nature created or god forbid human created either by mistake or deliberate.

As for FSW have not read all the posts on this or any IRCC position but maybe something as simple as staffing issues same as with many other IRCC managed programs where some will come off worse than others, FSW maybe just happens to be that program
I didn’t understand a single word my indian friend,just tell us when they resume the regular draws FSW

palak63

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015

I am sorry but I did not really understand what you are trying to say. I guess I am not the only one here probably who didnt understand much about this post.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
You are on the top 10 anti-CEC list. Everyone knows that
Hardly, if people make anti-FSWs posts all the time, and i just counter with the other side of the argument for the sake of fairness, it doesn't make me anti-CEC. :rolleyes:

I know there are very good CEC candidates, most of my friends from uni were CECs.

skgimcanada

Star Member
Apr 30, 2020
To all the people out there worried about IRCC not preferring FSW, I would like to share something that happened in February, 2020:

I am studying in an MBA program in the US and IRCC held a session for the graduating class about the express entry program, how we can apply, and how we will be eligible for high CRS scores with a decent IELTS score. They stopped short of saying we will all receive ITAs. I am sure other programs had similar sessions. I doubt they will go from advertising the FSW stream so extensively to completely shutting it down.

So I really think we don't have to worry about general draws not happening. I feel IRCC is just waiting for health centers to have some capacity to perform medical tests and other agencies to start processing documents. My guess is general draws will start in August.
Absolutely. General draws will definitely be resumed but the key concern is when?
I feel they will start once IRCC realizes that prospective aspirants could easily obtain the required documents in their own countries instead of providing LOEs and asking for extra time, which might result in a chaos and a surge of immigrants landing at the same time (probably same week or month). Instead IRCC wants immigrants to arrive evenly throughout the year, and this could be correlated by how they are distributing ITAs.

Keep faith in IRCC, I too have attended 1-2 sessions conducted by the immigration personals at university of Toronto, but they were all before the pandemic, about why Canada needs young skilled workers.

Mendicino has already asserted that they will review the immigration target by the fall. The continuation of draws is a clear sign that IRCC wants its EE target to be completed. Hope for the best.

Lets wait, watch, and pray for the draws to be occurring at the same frequency regardless of their category; CEC or FSW.

Good luck guys.

Reactions: palak63

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I think what is going to come down to ,if they decide to resume general draws without a vaccine in place, they are just gonna do “air bridges”. It is a system that has begun functioning in Europe where if two countries have low infection levels or their curves have been going down for a while they will allow non-essential travellers without having them to quarantine when they get to their destination. So in this scenario it will come down to how is the country you are living in At the moment handling its situation.

Would it be fair? No because applicants from poor countries that are qualified and got skills would be push aside most likely.

would it be the fastest solution to resume general draws? Probably yes.
That's an interesting concept I wasn't aware of. Makes sense though. I'm sure they'll come up with whatever the best solution for them is, and tweak it as time goes by.

Definitely not necessarily poor countries. Africa has actually had it quite good with this, interestingly. I live in South Africa, which is not a rich country by any means, and we have really good COVID numbers. Meanwhile, places like Italy, the UK, Canada, and the US, are far wealthier nations, and have seen far worse numbers of infections. Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to how the pandemic is managed by governments, as well as what the culture of citizens is to respect the choices their leaders are making. In SA, it's been good so far. In the US, it's a nightmare. I find it very interesting to see all this, from a psychological and democratic perspective.

But anyway, I do agree with you that they may find some kinda workaround like that. It'll be interesting to see what they choose. Otherwise maybe they just require everyone who enters to go into quarantine. I wouldn't mind that at all, and would happily comply.