App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
I am not playing with words. You guys are saying that overseas degree or whatever is superior to the Canadian work experience in the eyes of IRCC. Right now it's not the case. And yes, COVID-19 is the reason.

Exactly. When the regular draws resume, the situation will be different and IRCC will prioritize other candidates based on the factors they decide are relevant at that time.
Lol. I think the point @jrossi and @ZAtoCD were trying to make was someone with a higher level of education will get more points as per IRCC's criteria. I, myself, have a foreign bachelor's degree and a two-year Canadian diploma. Guess what fetched me more points? My Indian bachelor's degree. My Canadian diploma probably increased my human capital score because of having two or more certificates. Getting a diploma in Canada gave me a three-year work permit which led to one year of skilled work experience (I still have almost two years left in my work permit). The bottom line is, nowadays, a CEC candidate has to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree (anywhere in the world) to get an ITA. Why did the CEC candidates with just two-year diplomas find it hard to get ITAs? IRCC's criteria. This pandemic has made it possible for CEC candidates with lower educational credentials to get ITAs. Again, these are facts. While I empathize with people waiting in the pool for years to get an ITA, the fact is they are stuck because there were always better candidates who get invited in the draws. Express Entry is a competition, I know it does not look like one right now due to no FSW draws but it's likely temporary. What's relevant right now is who can and who can't come into the country. That does not involve someone being superior to others because of just being in Canada for some time.

I don't see a point in this debate. In my opinion, everyone works hard to get an ITA. I am happy for those who got their ITAs but at the same time, I feel bad for those who couldn't get one in the last few weeks in spite of having great CRS scores.

NiclasB

Star Member
Sep 15, 2019
While yes. It is luck in a way that cec get invited. Also remember that many people, like me are cec candidates. But also currently working in Canada. And are losing months on our visas right now without work. But we also have lives here in some ways. We have friends, a place to live in, a favorite coffee shop and a favorite hike. Many have made this our temporary home, hoping for a permanent home here. For us getting an invite means we can finally relax and stay here. We can finally treat this place we feel like home, like our home. And we don't have to uproot and move to someplace we maybe haven't lived in for years in the middle of a global pandemic. An extremely stressful situation.

And while it is luck. Having 440 points does not make you a worse person than someone with 470 and an Audi, as some here wants to believe. And remember. Inviting cec helps business as well, as many will be able to keep their current employee instead of spending time on hiring. And they are already more integrated into the country. And in the middle of a pandemic that is probably helpful. Because sadly we will probably be directly affected by the pandemic for a long time. Very possibly through 2021.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
While yes. It is luck in a way that cec get invited. Also remember that many people, like me are cec candidates. But also currently working in Canada. And are losing months on our visas right now without work. But we also have lives here in some ways. We have friends, a place to live in, a favorite coffee shop and a favorite hike. Many have made this our temporary home, hoping for a permanent home here. For us getting an invite means we can finally relax and stay here. We can finally treat this place we feel like home, like our home. And we don't have to uproot and move to someplace we maybe haven't lived in for years in the middle of a global pandemic. An extremely stressful situation.

And while it is luck. Having 440 points does not make you a worse person than someone with 470 and an Audi, as some here wants to believe. And remember. Inviting cec helps business as well, as many will be able to keep their current employee instead of spending time on hiring. And they are already more integrated into the country. And in the middle of a pandemic that is probably helpful. Because sadly we will probably be directly affected by the pandemic for a long time. Very possibly through 2021.
Respectfully, I do not think someone with 470 and an Audi is a better person than the one with 440 or even 300 points for that matter. However, with that being said, it does make the one with 440 points a worse candidate than someone with 470 and with or without an Audi when there's a general draw. It is just the way how IRCC ranks the candidates. You might be the one with the lowest score in the pool but that does not make you a lesser human than the ones with higher points. I humbly ask people to not mix both. Lower scores don't equate to terrible human beings. I put my roots in Canada too and trust me, nothing was more unsettling than having an expiry date on your status. I can understand it.

My only question is do you guys honestly think that someone with a CRS score as low as 447 would have been considered for permanent residence just because of the aforementioned reasons? If it wasn't for the pandemic, some of these folks would have probably left the country, hence they are lucky in my opinion.

Last edited:

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Lol. I think the point @jrossi and @ZAtoCD were trying to make was someone with a higher level of education will get more points as per IRCC's criteria. I, myself, have a foreign bachelor's degree and a two-year Canadian diploma. Guess what fetched me more points? My Indian bachelor's degree.
Right. It was before the FSW draws stopped. For now, all of it doesn't matter if you don't have 1 year of Canadian work experience.

I am not telling that FSW candidates are inferior to CEC candidates and that being a FSW with 490 makes you less qualified than being 440 CEC. I am just debating a point about "IRCC made that calculator and we have a higher score, therefore we are more suited for PR than CEC candidates with lower score". I am telling that during COVID time the situation has drastically changed. For now IRCC doesn't look at the candidates regardless of their scores unless the candidates are in the CEC or PNP category. So how is being a FSW at 475-490 today helping you?

Express Entry is a competition, I know it does not look like one right now due to no FSW draws but it's likely temporary.
Hopefully it is temporary and if the situation changes, the scores will again become the main determining factor for the ITA. But for now the category is the most important factor.

In my opinion, everyone works hard to get an ITA. I am happy for those who got their ITAs but at the same time, I feel bad for those who couldn't get one in the last few weeks in spite of having great CRS scores.
I am not debating that. I hope that the current situation will be resolved soon and we will start seeing all candidates competing for the ITAs as it was not that long ago.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Right. It was before the FSW draws stopped. For now, all of it doesn't matter if you don't have 1 year of Canadian work experience.

I am not telling that FSW candidates are inferior to CEC candidates and that being a FSW with 490 makes you less qualified than being 440 CEC. I am just debating a point about "IRCC made that calculator and we have a higher score, therefore we are more suited for PR than CEC candidates with lower score". I am telling that during COVID time the situation has drastically changed. For now IRCC doesn't look at the candidates regardless of their scores unless the candidates are in the CEC or PNP category. So how is being a FSW at 475-490 today helping you?

Hopefully it is temporary and if the situation changes, the scores will again become the main determining factor for the ITA. But for now the category is the most important factor.

I am not debating that. I hope that the current situation will be resolved soon and we will start seeing all candidates competing for the ITAs as it was not that long ago.
I think we are on the same page now. Yes, I think the last general draw was back on March 4, 2020. We can safely acknowledge the fact that CEC and PNP are getting invited only due to the restrictions in place. Candidates with higher scores regardless of the category will fare well in general draws when they come back.

jitesh2013

Star Member
Nov 23, 2013
Exactly.
I honestly don't get why people get so upset when someone in this forum compares candidates at 440 and 490, for example. I mean, that's how IRCC has designed the CRS score criteria. It's not my opinion that a Phd's degree is more valuable to the Canadian economy than 1 year of a college program or 1 year of Canadian experience, it's IRCC opinion. Otherwise, if IRCC believed Canadian Experience was the most important asset of all, they would give +200 points for that (which would basically turn away every single FSW candidate).
You know what is more important than a Phd's degree? I'll tell you: a province that declares explicit interest in your profile. How do I know that? Well, because IRCC will give you 600 points for that.
So, even if you don't have a CLB9, Canadian experience, or a Master's, but you have a NOI, guess what: Congratulations, you're a better candidate than the others below you! Period.

People, seriously, Express Entry is a competition. Understand that. Yes, a 490 candidate is, at IRCC's perspective, a better candidate than one at 440. I don't get why we continue to discuss that. Really. Go read the CRS score criteria page, and all the answers for the "who's a valuable permanent resident for Canada" question are right there.
I agree.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
I was also CEC lol

By that time 420-430 was still the norm....everyone just need to take IELTS once and worked one year here
Lol, I remember those days. That was the trend when I came to Canada as a student. I think the lowest was 413 or something back then. So much has changed.

Reactions: jitesh2013

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
i calculated the crs score of jeff bezos. it comes to 390. he can get an extra 50 points if he qualifies for lmia
LMAO. Most entrepreneurs would not be able to immigrate through Express Entry. They are good at making others work for them. If he wants to immigrate, he can leverage the investor's stream. I am sure he would have done it if he was interested.

Dave1111

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
I remember back in days before express entry when canadian experience class was separate department and they used to process those who have 1 year Canadian work experience in a separate department than fsw. It's high time IRCC do that again. It will definitely save a lot of fights.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
I remember back in days before express entry when canadian experience class was separate department and they used to process those who have 1 year Canadian work experience in a separate department than fsw. It's high time IRCC do that again. It will definitely save a lot of fights.
Wasn't it first come first serve back then? Also, the processing time was longer than 6 months, right?

Dave1111

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Wasn't it first come first serve back then? Also, the processing time was longer than 6 months, right?
Ya exactly but at least you were guaranteed a PR after 2 years of education and 1 year work work experience. I don't know anyone who went back to their home country after gaining Canadian work experience. But again back then there weren't many student visas issued unlike now.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Ya exactly but at least you were guaranteed a PR after 2 years of education and 1 year work work experience. I don't know anyone who went back to their home country after gaining Canadian work experience. But again back then there weren't many student visas issued unlike now.
Yes, I heard about it from someone who came to Canada as a student a decade ago and became a permanent resident that way. He told me it took one year to process his application and everything was paper-based.

I think they can't do it anymore due to the sheer number of international students in the last 2-3 years. Express Entry makes more sense as it helps them to retain the ones who are more likely to settle down here. I hope this pandemic does not force IRCC to reduce the immigration targets which will be a nightmare for those who have invested in Canada.

Reactions: Dave1111

Dave1111

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Yes, I heard about it from someone who came to Canada as a student a decade ago and became a permanent resident that way. He told me it took one year to process his application and everything was paper-based.

I think they can't do it anymore due to the sheer number of international students in the last 2-3 years. Express Entry makes more sense as it helps them to retain the ones who are more likely to settle down here. I hope this pandemic does not force IRCC to reduce the immigration targets which will be a nightmare for those who have invested in Canada.
There is no doubt that express entry as a system is very efficient except for fights on this forum of course. Yeah I hope and pray that all the fsw and cec who are stuck ,get their PR soon.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
There is no doubt that express entry as a system is very efficient except for fights on this forum of course. Yeah I hope and pray that all the fsw and cec who are stuck ,get their PR soon.
Lol. IRCC does not care about FSW vs CEC. People should understand that FSW is not happening right now due to restrictions in several countries. I am hoping for the best outcome for everyone. It's frustrating. It's going to be interesting to see the new processing time of Express Entry. Express Entry may not be 'Express' anymore.

Last edited: