+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 149th Draw - CEC

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
It's definitely a tricky one, it's a bit hard for me to look at it out of the passage's context and answer.

I would go with T from what you've described, given that even though they don't state it explicitly as a fact in the passage, they do mention that the probability of a shoplifter shoplifting multiple times is greater than only being a one time offender. So in a way, the statement is more true than false. And as you said, this notion is reinforced by the information in the passage.

Just curious, did you study law?

Anyhow, I wanted to mention i got L 9 R 9 W 7 S 9, just to assure you i'm not taking liberties by trying to give you some advice lol. And the 7 was bogus lol.

I just found that when i answered the questions, it was usually the simplest explanation i could find from the passage to either support or not support the statement which was usually correct.
Damn, 9 in speaking is crazy, I barely managed 7.5 from a previous 6. Are you a native speaker? What was your question type in essay? Writing is hit or miss based on question type and task response.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Damn, 9 in speaking is crazy, I barely managed 7.5 from a previous 6. Are you a native speaker? What was your question type in essay? Writing is hit or miss based on question type and task response.
I probably don't fit the textbook definition of a native speaker but i'm close in terms of fluency.

I think the essay question was about do you agree or disagree with libraries being obsolete or something to that effect.

The problem is there are some regions where they will just not give you a score higher than 7 in writing, the examiners don't want to take the risk of giving you a higher mark, they want to play it safe. They figure the candidate will rarely need to get higher than a 7 for the purpose they need to take the IELTS.

This is a big problem with the writing, it's not marked uniformly according to the criteria in every region.

I stuck very close to their model answers in terms of my answers for the writing and it was still only a 7.

I was going to request a remarking but i decided not to because i got what i needed.

It still seems unfair however. For example in Australia, if you get an 8 in every skill you get a significant increase in points for immigration, it sucks if you miss out because an examiner is not giving you the score you deserve.

Last edited:

joey.slater

Star Member
Apr 28, 2020
No experience in Canada. On H1b in U.S.
Ontario PNP
Crs 468
NOC-2175
Got NOI (notification of interest) from Ontario (tech draw) in express entry profile messages. After getting NOI, we can create profile in Ontario website and submit application and wait for approval.
In your express entry profile’s section “provinces you are interested in” , there whichever provinces you select, you will have chance of getting NOI from ONLY those provinces.
Thanks for the reply. Did you receive NOI in Feb tech draw?

craigb2424

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Not sure if anyone would know this for a fact. But is it likely the rest of my express entry application will be looked into and the percentage bar to go up whilst they’re waiting for my biometrics or the whole thing is likely to stall whilst they wait for it? No idea when service Canada will open to give my biometrics.

Timbuktu_14

Champion Member
Feb 5, 2020
Not sure if anyone would know this for a fact. But is it likely the rest of my express entry application will be looked into and the percentage bar to go up whilst they’re waiting for my biometrics or the whole thing is likely to stall whilst they wait for it? No idea when service Canada will open to give my biometrics.
Only a IRCC staff would know this for sure; a CO or VO, but you can raise a CSE via web form to ask this question. They will respond to you either directly or generically but either ways, you get an idea of what it is you want to know.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Not sure about your application but the percentage bar doesn't show anything except for counting the days from your AOR date to a date exactly 6 months from it. That's all that the bar does. It's not reflective of anything at all.
My bar went all the way up to 100% before a case processing agent even looked at my application.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
the bar is just a countdown to 180 days, not actual stages. utterly useless.

Reactions: Yemjim

jesse1120

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Thank you for the advice. Would anyone mind answering this question - Passage says "More often than not, shoplifters are repeat offenders."
Statement - Shoplifters shoplift multiple times.

Would the answer to this be T or F? It seems to me that the statement is stating as if it is a confirmed fact (something that is a certainty) but the passage says that it usually happens but not always. So it should be F. But if you go by the spirit of the statement and the passage, the statement is supported by the information in the passage, so it should be T. What is the right answer?
It's true.

jesse1120

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
passage: most of the people from india are hindus
statement: indians are hindus.

is this true?

of course not.
You are applying your own judgement to this statement on Indians and Hindus. If the statement had said "Majority of Indians are Hindus" - it would have been true. Or if it had said "All Indians are Hindus" - it would have been false, just like the plain "Indians are Hindus".
In the shoplifters statement, the key words are "more often than not" and "repeat offenders" in tangent with "multiple".

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
You are applying your own judgement to this statement on Indians and Hindus. If the statement had said "Majority of Indians are Hindus" - it would have been true. Or if it had said "All Indians are Hindus" - it would have been false, just like the plain "Indians are Hindus".
In the shoplifters statement, the key words are "more often than not" and "repeat offenders" in tangent with "multiple".
Ok
Passage : more often than not indians are hindu.
Statement : indians are hindu.

However you put it. It doesn't make it true.

jesse1120

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Ok
Passage : more often than not indians are hindu.
Statement : indians are hindu.

However you put it. It doesn't make it true.
"Or if it had said "All Indians are Hindus" - it would have been false, just like the plain "Indians are Hindus"." Exactly what I said :) Both questions and the corresponding statements are different - not comparable.