+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 141st Draw

callebe

Star Member
Oct 29, 2019
There has been provincial draws in which International Skilled workers were invited.

Has anyone been invited in any of those here?

Ajnim

Oct 18, 2018
Anyone has his/her IELTS cancelled/postponed due to COVID-19 till July 2020. I've booked for the IELTS exam on April 18th..

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Situation in Canada is getting more and more worse dudes. Loss of too many lives, too many lay-offs, hirings halted, state funds over-used, soaring Covid-19 cases and much more... Guess this damage is irreversible.
The dollar rate too crashed after a long time. Not sure when everything will be fine, but one thing is for sure
If the same continues for a prolonged time, govt may have to revise their target or maybe put a long pause once the situation over there is fine.
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone here but this is the reality accept it or not
In my opinion the elevated health risk may fade in the coming months, however the economic shock can prevail longer. It's not felt by the general public yet, due to the unprecedented level of liquid injected by the government to a level seen in the history (printing money and buying bonds, etc). However the federal government can't continue doing this for a very long time and this piled up debt has to be paid back as sometime (more tax ? or less government expenditure? etc). So in my view looking at economy back to pre cov 19 level seems to be too optimistic at this point of time (unless there is a huge event happens to lift the consumer confidence such a magic vaccine). If this situation continues longer, the difficult days will be ahead of us.

tony87

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
In my opinion the elevated health risk may fade in the coming months, however the economic shock can prevail longer. It's not felt by the general public yet, due to the unprecedented level of liquid injected by the government to a level seen in the history (printing money and buying bonds, etc). However the federal government can't continue doing this for a very long time and this piled up debt has to be paid back as sometime (more tax ? or less government expenditure? etc). So in my view looking at economy back to pre cov 19 level seems to be too optimistic at this point of time (unless there is a huge event happens to lift the consumer confidence such a magic vaccine). If this situation continues longer, the difficult days will be ahead of us.
Not only the Canadian economy will suffer, but also that of the whole world. Poorer countries, which I guess most immigrants come from, do much worse in almost any economic recession so now is a good time as any to immigrate.

Reactions: jrossi and Sharanm7

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not only the Canadian economy will suffer, but also that of the whole world. Poorer countries, which I guess most immigrants come from, do much worse in almost any economic recession so now is a good time as any to immigrate.
That's the hilarious thing about this. South Africa has permanent unemployment of around 30%, is in almost a permanent recession, has a permanently terrible cost of living to income ratio, and permanently has some of the worst crime in the world.

So, Canada at its worst is still multiple times better than what I've grown up with.

I don't think everyone on this forum understands that a bit of a downturn in Canada isn't a turn-off for emigrating for some of us. We'd still have a better life over there. Or at least a better chance at one.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Yes. I agree with that point . some countries will suffer more. Even before the cov 19 crisis some countries were in huge crisis. However that's not the basis of my point. My point was not about "will Canada be better than Country X" . It's about how this might end up in Canada. In theory Canadian Economic streams are meant to cater economic needs of Canadian economic engine. There are some streams such as HC to address other issues. That's why it's more relevant to discuss economic situation in Canada independently in this context. Personally I don't think there will be long lasting impact to the economic migration due to cov 19. However there can be short term adjustments. It's too early to say one way or the other.

tony87

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
Yes. I agree with that point . some countries will suffer more. Even before the cov 19 crisis some countries were in huge crisis. However that's not the basis of my point. My point was not about "will Canada be better than Country X" . It's about how this might end up in Canada. In theory Canadian Economic streams are meant to cater economic needs of Canadian economic engine. There are some streams such as HC to address other issues. That's why it's more relevant to discuss economic situation in Canada independently in this context. Personally I don't think there will be long lasting impact to the economic migration due to cov 19. However there can be short term adjustments. It's too early to say one way or the other.
Yeah, I agree. There won't be long-term impacts on economic migration. In fact, I seriously doubt the Canadian government cares about how new immigrants fare in Canada. If they can adapt, they'll find employment and contribute to Canada in some way; if they can't adapt, they'll spend most of their savings before they go back to their home countries. Either way, the Canadian economic engine gets fuel.

Reactions: sisac9 and aj534160

tony87

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
That's the hilarious thing about this. South Africa has permanent unemployment of around 30%, is in almost a permanent recession, has a permanently terrible cost of living to income ratio, and permanently has some of the worst crime in the world.

So, Canada at its worst is still multiple times better than what I've grown up with.

I don't think everyone on this forum understands that a bit of a downturn in Canada isn't a turn-off for emigrating for some of us. We'd still have a better life over there. Or at least a better chance at one.
You can say that again. People from Canada or other similar industrialized countries have no idea that what they've always taken for granted is a luxury for us. Being able to start anew in Canada is already a huge victory for most of us.

Reactions: Juswea

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Yeah, I agree. There won't be long-term impacts on economic migration. In fact, I seriously doubt the Canadian government cares about how new immigrants fare in Canada. If they can adapt, they'll find employment and contribute to Canada in some way; if they can't adapt, they'll spend most of their savings before they go back to their home countries. Either way, the Canadian economic engine gets fuel.
Having lived here for years I can talk to my experience too. I came across both success/happy and not-so-happy recent immigrants. As you have noted, some governments tried to do a bit more responsibly than others in my opinion. I think if the economy gets bad in my opinion this could be the best interest for a potential economic migrant. If you have a job secured(or almost secured with a huge potential) , you could make a move. If not , it can be challenging to establish for most (atleast that's what's happened in 2008). So you could delay the plans a bit. There are facebook groups for immigrants of certain ethnic groups. One can go take a look to find a real situation.

However if the new immigrants just come there to spend their life saving and be disappointed, that's the exact situation we must prevent. Instead it should be done responsibly so that the new blood can be absorbed to the economy without too much burden for any.