+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 102nd draw

YPS

Mar 7, 2018
The main reason for Computer-based IELTS as a culprit, they have more than 20 dates in a month with 3 different time slot.
This is the way too high compared to paper based IELTS. (which has only 2 dates in a month with single time slot)
And also now CELPIP introduced in Chandigarh (even Speaking is computer based in this and one can get results in 3 days if we pay extra)
Guys seriously cutoff will not decrease below 440 in our lifetime. Becoming more competitive now.
IETLS people learnt how to make a money with it.
And they can take 60 people per. Day for. Test at one centre...... So in 20 days 1200 people from one center, I got 2 centers in my city so 2400 people extra, as of now available in 5 cities in India .. :oops::eek:

*CD in India stared from last week of August ...

Last edited:
Reactions: shyee

vanessa bae

Oct 10, 2018
As far as I know, the computer based ielts test started being implemented from May of this year. I think that test cannot explain all the reason of the score jump in the last draw. according to my observation, my theory to explain the reason behind this is like below

* October effect (I name it lol)
- if you see the score trend of the October of the last year, we can see a significant increase of score in the day 4th of October.
Even though the number of invitations issued was pretty similar to the last draw which was held in 20 of September, 2017.
(Sep. 20th) 433 -> (Oct. 4th) 438
I think entering international students in the pool with higher scores cause the increased score.

So I'm saying that it's good that we do try everything we raise our scores but too much concerns are not necessary.
That's a bad influence for all of us.

My score is 441. I also hope that I will be invited in the next draw(17th) or the next next draw(31th).
Wish me luck

shyee

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
*Computer Delivered IELTS Feedback* from Forum

- Online booking:
The online booking now allows you to choose you speaking test time (when you register). Choose this time wisely, and aim for 1-1.5 between the speaking test and the remaining components (L, R, W) so you can take a little rest before the 3-hour race :)

- Actual Test:
- You will be given an A4 paper (which has you computer login info candidate No. + password) and a pen. You can write some notes on the paper, but they collect it at the end of each section so it's NOT much useful.
- Each section (L/R/W) has its own paper (with login info). And as I said, are collected and disposed at the end of each section. So, for example, you cannot copy advanced words from reading in the hope to use it later in the writing section.
- You can control text size/color/background color.. etc.
- You can control voice level.
- Timer on the top to remind you of the time remaining (very useful & gentle).

1. Listening:
Perhaps this was the least advantageous section in the computer-based IELTS version.
- Although you get your own headphone and can clearly hear the audio, typing while listening can be a bit challenging. But, this totally depends on the individual's comfort level with typing; which is a skill you need to master for the computer-delivered version.
- You're given a paper but honestly, you'll have NO time to transfer answers.
- Between listening section(s), there is the usual 30 seconds to check your answers and 30 seconds to skim the next section. So this time is to check & review your answers, read the next section, not transfer answers whatsoever.
- No 10 minutes at the end, but ~2 minutes at the end of the listening test to review all the sections.
- Don't ever ever write anything on paper on the hope to transfer it later.
- Difficulty level is about the same in both test types.

Tip:
- Practice listening on a computer + type in answers as you listen.

2. Reading:
Reading is so tremendously improved here.
- You can highlight/copy/past word or sentences easily. Very relaxed and laid-back section overall.
- The T/F/NG section you don't need to type anything, just select the letter from a menu.
- "Summary Completion" part of the reading is so much easier and faster! You can copy text or a word (ctrl+c) and paste it in the blank.
- No search function to search a word (Ctrl+F) isn't working; not sure if it's only me but I tried it few times, didn't work.
- Similar difficulty level with the paper-based test.

Tips:
- Aside from practising reading in a computer, make sure to highlight topic sentences (or thesis) of each paragraph (ie. part 3 which has a long passage, you perhaps want to start highlighting words as you read so you don't loss their location).
- you need to sleep extremely well the night before, staring at the screen for 60 mins isn't vision-friendly.

3. Writing:
- Hands down, this is the best experience ever! Easy planning and flexible writing...I can't emphasise more.
- Word count included under the typing text-box - I find this very very useful because you don't rush yourself to erase an entire well-structured sentence - that you perhaps took few minutes to construct, instead the counting on screen encourages you to write precisely from the beginning.
- You can cut/paste/erase "backspace" and undo sentences easily.
- Restructuring a paragraph is much more easier. Sometime you don't get the question or the task being asked from the first blink, you start typing and then notice "hmm, maybe I'm a bit off topic here, let's change the argument to make it sounds stronger by adding few words here and there to make!".

Tips:
- know your essay type or required structure beforehand, this will guide you through writing & save your time.
- Practice typing but also, more importantly, practice using the right IELTS writing material. For example, to know the widely accepted structure of an IELTS "Agree/Disagree" essay type, use published and authentic books instead of online websites.

This is pretty much my experience today, hopefully we get the result within 5-
Well elucidated! Thanks for making time to respond.

shyee

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
As far as I know, the computer based ielts test started being implemented from May of this year. I think that test cannot explain all the reason of the score jump in the last draw. according to my observation, my theory to explain the reason behind this is like below

* October effect (I name it lol)
- if you see the score trend of the October of the last year, we can see a significant increase of score in the day 4th of October.
Even though the number of invitations issued was pretty similar to the last draw which was held in 20 of September, 2017.
(Sep. 20th) 433 -> (Oct. 4th) 438
I think entering international students in the pool with higher scores cause the increased score.

So I'm saying that it's good that we do try everything we raise our scores but too much concerns are not necessary.
That's a bad influence for all of us.

My score is 441. I also hope that I will be invited in the next draw(17th) or the next next draw(31th).
Wish me luck
Good observation.
Good luck!

ShahidWS

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have a query with respect the WES evaluation:

My friend has a Bachelors and Masters degree in economics and also an post graduate diploma( long distance learning)
Is it ok to get the ECA done only for the bachelors and Masters degree and not for the diploma?
The reason behind this is the diploma course was not listed in the WES degree equivalency tool and also it could be difficult to get the transcripts for the Diploma course.
Is it possible to only claim points only for the Bachelors and Masters and will he get max points for it without the Diploma?

Thanks

Inabt

Jul 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Rome
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
Med's Request
10-12-2018
Med's Done....
01/11/2018
Passport Req..
01-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2019
LANDED..........
14-10-2019
any cut off point prediction for the upcoming draw?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Well its easy said i am stuck at 429 and the only way for me is to get a diploma
Then go get one. If you don't put the effort then you won't seek rewards.

I was stuck at 435 for months. See my earlier posts and you will know how pessimist I was. Everyone here kept me motivated even though I had lost all hope. Finally, I saw the sunshine and I'm now patiently waiting for the next draw :)

You need to try every possible way you can to increase points even if it means you have only 1% chance.