+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RAMQ Coverage for Permanent Resident's Dependent Child

robertobolano

Jun 13, 2018
Canada
AOR Received.
15-07-2020
My family is likely moving to Quebec from the US this summer. One of our children was born outside of Canada after we received our PR cards. When we move to Canada, we will initiate a family class PR sponsorship application for him, but it looks like the family class PR processing time is 10 months.

During that time, will my son be ineligible for Quebec healthcare coverage through RAMQ?

I know there is a waiting period even for us with PR cards, but the RAMQ website is confusing to me on my son's situation, as he is the dependent of a permanent resident.

Thanks for any advice. I know other provinces cover dependents in this kind of situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My family is likely moving to Quebec from the US this summer. One of our children was born outside of Canada after we received our PR cards. When we move to Canada, we will initiate a family class PR sponsorship application for him, but it looks like the family class PR processing time is 10 months.

During that time, will my son be ineligible for Quebec healthcare coverage through RAMQ?

I know there is a waiting period even for us with PR cards, but the RAMQ website is confusing to me on my son's situation, as he is the dependent of a permanent resident.

Thanks for any advice. I know other provinces cover dependents in this kind of situation.
No coverage. You will have to get private coverage for emergencies. Are you compliant with your RO?

Reactions: robertobolano

robertobolano

Jun 13, 2018
Canada
AOR Received.
15-07-2020
Thank you. I'm not sure what RO is, but sounds like I should be paying attention to that. Can you shed some light?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just noticed the info bar below. Yes it seems like you are compliant with RO. Likely your family landed and then returned to have your baby. You will have to pay for routine care and get coverage for emergencies.

Reactions: robertobolano