+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rainbow refugee sponsorship advice

ami97

Feb 29, 2024
Hi
I have received an email today from Rainbow Refugee asking me to fill out a form in order to consider granting sponsorship. However, one of the conditions to be eligible for sponsorship is to be outside of my home country. Since I am currently living in my home country, what are my options? Is it a good idea to try to make it to another country just so that I can apply for this? In this case, shouldn't I try to make it directly to Canada? Any advice or help on this is much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I have received an email today from Rainbow Refugee asking me to fill out a form in order to consider granting sponsorship. However, one of the conditions to be eligible for sponsorship is to be outside of my home country. Since I am currently living in my home country, what are my options? Is it a good idea to try to make it to another country just so that I can apply for this? In this case, shouldn't I try to make it directly to Canada? Any advice or help on this is much appreciated.

Assume Rainbow refugees likely only sponsor people who are abroad not someone already in Canada and typically you need to have left your home country and be recognized as a refugee by UNHCR. Have you attempted to secure a TRV? Would suggest that should be your first option if you are not under immediate threat in your home country. You would be able to apply for asylum much faster if you are able to secure a TRV and come to Canada on your own. If not you are not able to secure a TRV they are asking you to relocate to another country and be recognized as a refugee before your application to potentially be sponsored by the rainbow refugee organization is considered for private sponsorship. Not matter what I would start collecting proof of your personal experience being persecuted in your home country.

Reactions: ami97