+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rainbow Bridge PR Landing FAILED

LodFresa

Jun 22, 2017
Hi,

My husband and I got our express entry PR approval recently. We are expecting to get our passports in two days. My husband was the main applicant and I am the dependent.We want to do flagpoling and I have some questions

1. My BOWP was refused 5 days after my PR approval. I do not have any valid status right now in Canada. Can I flagpole with expired open work permit?
2. Should I apply for restoration of status/ Or that will be waste of money?
2. Do they ask to show address proof only for primary applicant or both? My husband is living in Ontario while I am living in Quebec because of work. Will it create a problem?

Thank you in advance.
My answers below,

1. As long as you have COPR which i assume you have , the passport will be stamped with a IM-1 (Immigrant 1 ) VISA which is valid for 1 time entry into Canada, so no , you do not need a valid TRV (temp VISA) or work permit when you do the flag polling after getting the IM-1 VISA, to comfort you more, i did not have one either, i was inland with a expired visa and wp when i did flag polling, i only had IM-1 and COPR with me

2. No, explanation above

3. No, you are expected to stay with your spouse on the same address.

Few pointers, do no land in Quebec (or flag pole there). Land in Ontario, then move to Quebec if you want.

Rina9285

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
My answers below,

1. As long as you have COPR which i assume you have , the passport will be stamped with a IM-1 (Immigrant 1 ) VISA which is valid for 1 time entry into Canada, so no , you do not need a valid TRV (temp VISA) or work permit when you do the flag polling after getting the IM-1 VISA, to comfort you more, i did not have one either, i was inland with a expired visa and wp when i did flag polling, i only had IM-1 and COPR with me

2. No, explanation above

3. No, you are expected to stay with your spouse on the same address.

Few pointers, do no land in Quebec (or flag pole there). Land in Ontario, then move to Quebec if you want.
Thank you so much LodFresa. That helped a lot, I am relieved. I still want to be clear on question no.3. As I understood from your answer, they will ask only the primary applicant about the address in Canada. What if while entering our information in system, they realize that I am still living in Quebec, will they ask me to provide proof that I have moved to Ontario?

I don't have CSQ and if I tell them that I am still living in Quebec, they might reject my entry. What do you think about it?

Should I just move and apply to exchange driver's licence to be on safer side?

LodFresa

Jun 22, 2017
Thank you so much LodFresa. That helped a lot, I am relieved. I still want to be clear on question no.3. As I understood from your answer, they will ask only the primary applicant about the address in Canada. What if while entering our information in system, they realize that I am still living in Quebec, will they ask me to provide proof that I have moved to Ontario?

I don't have CSQ and if I tell them that I am still living in Quebec, they might reject my entry. What do you think about it?

Should I just move and apply to exchange driver's licence to be on safer side?
First , you will be flag polling at some border in ontario, then you will enter ontario not quebec, so when you finish flag polling they will understand that you will live in ontario, then once you get in after a week move to quebec or change your job to ontario,

Did you by any chance put your quebec address in your EE profile? thats the only way they will know you live in quebec, even if so, you can simply say to them you will move to ontario with your husband and that you will quit your job in quebec. Once you are in then you can go anywhere, i would simply wait for the PR card before moving to quebec (personal opinion)

This is clear you cannot land in quebec, cause you dont have CSQ, so make sure you enter ontario and tell them you will move from quebec to ontario with your husband.

Rina9285

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
First , you will be flag polling at some border in ontario, then you will enter ontario not quebec, so when you finish flag polling they will understand that you will live in ontario, then once you get in after a week move to quebec or change your job to ontario,

Did you by any chance put your quebec address in your EE profile? thats the only way they will know you live in quebec, even if so, you can simply say to them you will move to ontario with your husband and that you will quit your job in quebec. Once you are in then you can go anywhere, i would simply wait for the PR card before moving to quebec (personal opinion)

This is clear you cannot land in quebec, cause you dont have CSQ, so make sure you enter ontario and tell them you will move from quebec to ontario with your husband.

Thank you LordFresa. I successfully landed in Ontario. But I exchanged my drivers licence before that and also moved to Ontario with my husband. The officer at border did ask me about my status and I told the truth that my work permit is expired and my BOWP was rejected after the PR approval.He just listened and he did not ask more questions.

Thank you again for your guidance.

Reactions: Mthornt and nomad26

LodFresa

Jun 22, 2017
Thank you LordFresa. I successfully landed in Ontario. But I exchanged my drivers licence before that and also moved to Ontario with my husband. The officer at border did ask me about my status and I told the truth that my work permit is expired and my BOWP was rejected after the PR approval.He just listened and he did not ask more questions.

Thank you again for your guidance.
Good to hear, welcome to Canada

AryaStark

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hello,

I recently got my COPR and since I am already in Canada as a visitor, I needed some advise on the flagpoling/ landing process.

I got to know through the CIC website that the nearest borders don't generally work on weekends on immigration process related formalities. But since I have a valid US visa, do you guys think I can just go to US for a weekend trip and just come back. This will help complete the landing process and can also be a short vacation. :)

Also, with a valid US visa hope the process is not restricted to weekdays?

Thanks!

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Hello,

I recently got my COPR and since I am already in Canada as a visitor, I needed some advise on the flagpoling/ landing process.

I got to know through the CIC website that the nearest borders don't generally work on weekends on immigration process related formalities. But since I have a valid US visa, do you guys think I can just go to US for a weekend trip and just come back. This will help complete the landing process and can also be a short vacation. :)

Also, with a valid US visa hope the process is not restricted to weekdays?

Thanks!

Would you be flying or driving? If flying, you would avoid the land border crossings that potentially could cause a problem.

AryaStark

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Would you be flying or driving? If flying, you would avoid the land border crossings that potentially could cause a problem.
Well.. I have cancelled the plan to go to any border. Instead I wrote to IRCC for appointment at a local office and got a reply in 2 days with an appointment confirmation for next week. :)

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Well.. I have cancelled the plan to go to any border. Instead I wrote to IRCC for appointment at a local office and got a reply in 2 days with an appointment confirmation for next week. :)

I think that's the fastest appointment I've seen booked so far! Congrats :)

IndoKori

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
10-06-2018
Med's Done....
21-06-2018
As previously explained, what you did was NOT flagpoling, so you were admitted. You had a valid US visa, and you entered the US, and your landing procedure was completed upon your return to Canada.
Flagpoling is usually done by people without US visas, or without processing by the US CBP--I have a US visa, and the CBP officer offered me the option to flagpole last summer, but I declined and requested an I-94 to enter the US.
Hi, I am in same position. I have US visa but never entered US borders. During activating PR can I get the entry stamp and return just within 5 minutes. I dont want to get refusal document. What do you suggest to ask the US border officer in this regard? I have no idea about it and about getting I-94.

IndoKori

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
10-06-2018
Med's Done....
21-06-2018
As previously explained, what you did was NOT flagpoling, so you were admitted. You had a valid US visa, and you entered the US, and your landing procedure was completed upon your return to Canada.
Flagpoling is usually done by people without US visas, or without processing by the US CBP--I have a US visa, and the CBP officer offered me the option to flagpole last summer, but I declined and requested an I-94 to enter the US.
And was this your 1st time entry to US?

IndoKori

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
10-06-2018
Med's Done....
21-06-2018
Hi folks, I have few questions!!

Me and my wife are planning to flagpole at Thousand Island, just waiting for our passports. I thought the landing restrictions are applicable to borders at Southern Ontario. Is it applicable for thousand island as well? If so, what day and time is preferable (we were planning this Friday at 9 AM)?

Another thing is that, I have my US Visitor Visa but my wife doesn't. Can I still do flagpoling with my wife without hassle? It may sound silly but I don't want to leave my wife at the border.
Hey, i have same situation. I have visitor visa for US but my spouse does not. What was your experience of landing and flagpoling? How did you manage it?

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015

What email address did you use? It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard any reply from them regarding my mom's appointment. Thanks!

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
Hey, i have same situation. I have visitor visa for US but my spouse does not. What was your experience of landing and flagpoling? How did you manage it?
No problem,
If your wife doesn't have a US visa, she still should be able to do the flagpole procedure without a problem, technically speaking doing a flagpole procedure is getting an administrative refusal from the US port of entry but that is not a problem even though it sounds like it is.