Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Rumour is CBSA may deny PR/work permit/study permit landing services at more crossings.

The next to get axed might be StBernard-de-Lacolle and St-Armand/Philipsburg, Quebec.

http://www.cba.org/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=a952f4e6-bb15-40a8-8b10-72a7f5303da9

I don't believe this is legal.
Hi I am wondering why would they refuse this. Would that be due to no Immigration officer presence on Statutory holiday on 1st of Jan 2018 ?
Will rather wait for experts to advise /comment on this

SeineToHumber

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
I've created a new thread about CBSA's questionable actions here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cbsa-refusals-to-validate-pr-at-land-border-crossings-in-niagara-and-maybe-more-areas.536003/

Hi I am wondering why would they refuse this. Would that be due to no Immigration officer presence on Statutory holiday on 1st of Jan 2018 ?
Will rather wait for experts to advise /comment on this
This was on December 31st, not the stat holiday. At Ports of Entry, CBSA handles these, not CIC staff. So they must offer the service whenever the post is open.

I've emailed every senior CIC staffer that I could contact about our rejection.

The Associate Deputy Minister of Immigration referred our case to the Case Management Branch (CMB). The CMB "Reviews and manages contentious, complex, high profile and sensitive immigration cases".

CIC are taking this rejection by CBSA seriously.

At 5:15PM Eastern Time, the Case Management Branch responded to say:

This is to acknowledge receipt of your email of Monday, January 1st, 2018. Please note that Case Management Branch is looking into this and will provide you with a response as soon as possible.​
CIC is taking CBSA's refusal of service to PRs seriously, at least in our case.

Here is an email that I sent to CIC:

Hello,

I was shocked to find that my wife was refused PR processing at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge this weekend after a 24 hour trip to the USA.

Along with the Confirmation of Permanent Residency, the Canadian Embassy in Paris' letter clearly stated that it can be activated at any Port of Entry.

The CBSA experience at 4:15PM on December 31st was frustrating. At a nearly empty office (4 desk agents and only 2 clients inside), we were told they no longer process such applications Friday through Monday because of "workload".

The CBSA website clearly states that this crossing offers Immigration Services 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

All we were provided was an English-only 'factsheet' about a new policy on "Flagpoling", which does not define what this term even means. We've never raised a flag in our lives, therefore we are not flagpolers.

We were told by CBSA that there is zero chance they can process us at that time. "They can't".

How are Canadians supposed to immigrate efficiently when every step of the process is fraught with delays? While family class applications are being streamlined, the next step of the process gets delayed.

1. Why does CIC continue to advise PR applicants to go to any port of entry when Ports of Entry will reject them?

2. Why does CBSA make up words and rules and not define/publish them? Covfefe.

3. What is the basis in law for CBSA's refusals to process PR landings?

This cannot be allowed to continue.

Thank you for your attention in this matter,

Last edited:

MANU07

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
hello everyone,

At 1000 island border, can I land on weekends? as for southern Ontario only Tues Wed Thru is allowed.

LodFresa

Jun 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

Today, I went to Lansdowne bridge on 1000 islands to complete the landing, went by car, 3 hours drive from Toronto. Paid 4.25 $ toll at the 1000 islands bridge, went to US side, went into commercial vehicle slot by mistake, but guess what, the officers there were kind enough to let me in via commercial booth and provided all the necessary information needed.

1. You do not need a US VISA, if you are already in Canada legally, if your purpose is to just flag pole. They just check your passport and let you do a u turn giving you a yellow slip that says "Entry refused - Reason flag pole"
2. They are open all days 24x7, except statutory holidays.

Traffic is soo less that you will get processed within 5 minutes, which was the time taken for mine.

After clearing the regulations on US side, they will give you a yellow slip and another document has your name and reason for entry and refusal, then they let me take a U turn and go back to Canada.

In the Canadian booth, you just give the passport, and the COPR letter and the two documents from the US side (provided to you earlier). The officer will ask your home address to verify and will guide you to the immigration booth (booth 8, inside the office) , there you will provide all the documents , the officer will ask you to sign the two copies of COPR (1 for IRCC, 1 for you), he will staple your copy to your passport and that will be your confirmation for landing. From here on you are officially a permanent resident in Canada, your PR card will be mailed to the address on your file within 2 months.

1. You can use this COPR copy to apply or extend your SIN, Health card
2. You can use this COPR copy as proof for all other stuff till you get your PR card.
3. Unfortunately you cannot use this COPR as travel document, meaning, if you do not have a valid visa, then you cannot leave the country until you get your PR card. If you leave, you cannot get back in. (sadly for me my TR-Visa is expired so i will have to wait till i get my PR card, in order to fly to other countries). They suggested an alternative, that i could drive to US with my US visa and fly from there, then come back to US , then drive from US to Canada, in this case COPR is valid, apparently its airlines restriction that COPR should not be used as travel document. But for roadways entry its valid.

Hope this helps.

Entire process took me 7 hours
3 hours to go there
30 mins to clear US and Canadian regulations (PR)
30 mins on the way back to grab some food
3 hours drive back to home.

srkohli

Jan 17, 2018
Hello all very helpful people, so I had an unsuccessful attempt for landing at Sarnia land Border on Sunday. Long story Short, I went to US side, spend couple of hours there and came back to Canada. The officer at the Canadian side booth told me to book an appointment(Very rudely) and let me enter in Canada. So here are some questions and concerns:

1. Did he let me enter in Canada on basis of my Current Status(Work Permit valid till 2019) or on basis of my single entry Immigrant visa(No stamp on my passport)?

2. What if I do it at Pearson Airport? I Live in Toronto so my country of residence is Canada on my CoPR, and later this month I am expecting a 2 day trip to NYC by Air. Earlier I wasn't keen to do this trip because I thought I won't be allowed to travel by air if I validate my PR(Which I didn't mind)

But now as I made an unsuccessfull attempt and because of all these rejections at the land borders, I am considering doing my trip to NYC by air.
So my other questions are:

2.1 how do I know if the officer at the land border let me in on what visa basis? Is my Single entry visa already used or not?

2.2 If the officer at the land border let me in on basis of my current status(Work permit), what are the chances that the same thing might happen at the Pearson Airport as well? Can they just reject my landing on basis of CoPR and let me in on WP basis(Because if that's the case then I won't do the trip)?

2.3 I am currently living in Canada, so if I travel by Air and enter canada at the International Airport, is it mandatory for them to complete my landing process on CoPR basis or they can just do the same as land borders(Let me in on WP Basis and for CoPR Confirmation, ask me to book an appointment)?

Please advise!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all very helpful people, so I had an unsuccessful attempt for landing at Sarnia land Border on Sunday. Long story Short, I went to US side, spend couple of hours there and came back to Canada. The officer at the Canadian side booth told me to book an appointment(Very rudely) and let me enter in Canada. So here are some questions and concerns:

1. Did he let me enter in Canada on basis of my Current Status(Work Permit valid till 2019) or on basis of my single entry Immigrant visa(No stamp on my passport)?

2. What if I do it at Pearson Airport? I Live in Toronto so my country of residence is Canada on my CoPR, and later this month I am expecting a 2 day trip to NYC by Air. Earlier I wasn't keen to do this trip because I thought I won't be allowed to travel by air if I validate my PR(Which I didn't mind)

But now as I made an unsuccessfull attempt and because of all these rejections at the land borders, I am considering doing my trip to NYC by air.

2.1 how do I know if the officer at the land border let me in on what visa basis? Is my Single entry visa already used or not?

2.2 If the officer at the land border let me in on basis of my current status(Work permit), what are the chances that the same thing might happen at the Pearson Airport as well? Can they just reject my landing on basis of CoPR and let me in on WP basis(Because if that's the case then I won't do the trip)?

2.3 I am currently living in Canada, so if I travel by Air and enter canada at the International Airport, is it mandatory for them to complete my landing process on CoPR basis or they can just do the same as land borders(Let me in on WP Basis and for CoPR Confirmation, ask me to book an appointment)?

Please advise!
Too many questions so I'll just get to the gist of it.

Yes, you can finish the landing procedure on your flight back from the States and no they won't reject your landing.

Reactions: btoronto

LodFresa

Jun 22, 2017

Please advise!
Answers

1. Yes , he let you in on your work permit, you can check this by seeing if he used a pen on your IM1 visa and struck through the visa, if he did that, then he let you in via the one time visa, but if the one time visa remains untouched with no pencil or pen marks then he let you in via your wp. Pretty sure at this point i can say its your wp and not the IM1 visa.

2. If you do it via international airport, they cannot deny your landing, regardless of when you arrive at the airport. So they will process your landing, this is probably the best way to complete landing, but those of us living in Canada have no intentions to fly out and come back just for this. But if you have a trip coming your way then it becomes easy, which seems to be your case.

2.1 Check my answer on point 1, there will be marks on your single entry visa if he let you in on that visa.

2.2 No they cannot, if you enter Canada by AIR, they have to process your landing , no choices here for them

2.3 Same answer as above

Additional information : There are two things, one is your work permit, which is not used as visa for cross country travel, so you must have had a temporary VISA to enter into Canada, if you did not have this VISA, then he would have let you in on the single entry, in such cases the only option you have is to book an appointment, as you do not have a temporary VISA to do another flag polling. So if you only have your work permit , and have already used your 1 time VISA, make sure you do not go out of the country , your only option is to book an appointment and wait for it.

srkohli

Jan 17, 2018
Answers

1. Yes , he let you in on your work permit, you can check this by seeing if he used a pen on your IM1 visa and struck through the visa, if he did that, then he let you in via the one time visa, but if the one time visa remains untouched with no pencil or pen marks then he let you in via your wp. Pretty sure at this point i can say its your wp and not the IM1 visa.

2. If you do it via international airport, they cannot deny your landing, regardless of when you arrive at the airport. So they will process your landing, this is probably the best way to complete landing, but those of us living in Canada have no intentions to fly out and come back just for this. But if you have a trip coming your way then it becomes easy, which seems to be your case.

2.1 Check my answer on point 1, there will be marks on your single entry visa if he let you in on that visa.

2.2 No they cannot, if you enter Canada by AIR, they have to process your landing , no choices here for them

2.3 Same answer as above

Additional information : There are two things, one is your work permit, which is not used as visa for cross country travel, so you must have had a temporary VISA to enter into Canada, if you did not have this VISA, then he would have let you in on the single entry, in such cases the only option you have is to book an appointment, as you do not have a temporary VISA to do another flag polling. So if you only have your work permit , and have already used your 1 time VISA, make sure you do not go out of the country , your only option is to book an appointment and wait for it.

Thanks a lot for all the replies people! And, Single entry visa is untouched. and Yes, I do have WP visa on my passport which I use every time along with my WP whenever returning to Canada from the US or some other country.

Jessie9364

Nov 12, 2017
hi guys,
I need your opinion. I got my landing paper and passport on JAN 18, but I plan to have a one week trip to mexico from Feb 12 to Feb 18. When I am back, I will do my landing. do you think i put myself into a risk to have a trip first and then do landing?I know most of people will do landing as soon as possible. I just think i may not have a chance to have my holiday this year, i mean 2017. i still have a chance to cancel this trip if you think i put myself into a risk. Thank you

LodFresa

Jun 22, 2017
hi guys,
I need your opinion. I got my landing paper and passport on JAN 18, but I plan to have a one week trip to mexico from Feb 12 to Feb 18. When I am back, I will do my landing. do you think i put myself into a risk to have a trip first and then do landing?I know most of people will do landing as soon as possible. I just think i may not have a chance to have my holiday this year, i mean 2017. i still have a chance to cancel this trip if you think i put myself into a risk. Thank you
If you are flying to Mexico and coming back to Canada, your landing will be adjusted to a PR, in the airport. So go ahead and do the trip, no need to cancel. Most of the people do it fast, because they want to avoid delays to their citizenship application trigger. Which is 3 years or 2 if you have already spent 2 years in Canada.

Jessie9364

Nov 12, 2017
If you are flying to Mexico and coming back to Canada, your landing will be adjusted to a PR, in the airport. So go ahead and do the trip, no need to cancel. Most of the people do it fast, because they want to avoid delays to their citizenship application trigger. Which is 3 years or 2 if you have already spent 2 years in Canada.
Thank you or your explanation. It really releases my stress.