quitting PhD

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone!

So, I need your help once again :)

I have decided not to continue my PhD. How does it work from the CIC point of view? I am an Italian citizen, so I don't need a temporary visa. How long can I stay once I leave my program? Also, my spouse is here with an open work permit so how long is she allowed to work after I leave my program?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to apply to change your status to visitor within 90 days of quitting school (your study permit will be automatically canceled once you are out of school for more than 90 days and then you'll be in Canada without status). Alternatively you can leave Canada within 90 days of quitting.

To the best of my knowledge, your wife can continue working as long as her work permit is valid (although I could be wrong). You will obviously need to stop working as soon as you stop attending school.

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You'll need to apply to change your status to visitor within 90 days of quitting school (your study permit will be automatically canceled once you are out of school for more than 90 days and then you'll be in Canada without status). Alternatively you can leave Canada within 90 days of quitting.

To the best of my knowledge, your wife can continue working as long as her work permit is valid (although I could be wrong). You will obviously need to stop working as soon as you stop attending school.
Ok so let's say I quit on April 1. I leave Canada on June 1, and then once I'm home I could change my status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
salvatore270 said:
Ok so let's say I quit on April 1. I leave Canada on June 1, and then once I'm home I could change my status?
If you leave Canada on June 1st - there's nothing you need to do to change your status. You only need to change your status if you plan on staying longer than 90 days.

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since I have an Italian passport, could I stay without status after the 90 days as a visitor?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
salvatore270 said:
Since I have an Italian passport, could I stay without status after the 90 days as a visitor?
Already answered. You need to apply to change your status to a visitor if you want to stay. Otherwise your stay in Canada will be illegal. The fact you hold a visa exempt passport doesn't change the answer.

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Already answered. You need to apply to change your status to a visitor if you want to stay. Otherwise your stay in Canada will be illegal. The fact you hold a visa exempt passport doesn't change the answer.
Thanks! Yes, it was indeed the same question :D

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, so upon departure, if i'm not mistaken, I will have to surrender my study permit? Where am I supposed to do this? At the airport?

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:

Hi scylla, so I officially withdrew from my program on March 8th.

I plan to leave Canada for a week from April 13 to April 20, and then to leave Canada for good on May 1st.

I also found this as an exception of ETA:
"you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker."
So, if I'm not mistaken, if one returns before the expiry of 90 days, then he or she is still authorized?

Will I need an ETA for the trip of April 13-20? Thanks!

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021
Hey everyone!

So, I need your help once again :)

I have decided not to continue my PhD. How does it work from the CIC point of view? I am an Italian citizen, so I don't need a temporary visa. How long can I stay once I leave my program? Also, my spouse is here with an open work permit so how long is she allowed to work after I leave my program?

Thanks!
Hi. I hope you are doing well. So, did you quid your phd from your Canadian university? If so, did you need to pay back the stipends and funding that you received until you were student? Moreover, how did you change your legal status in Canada after quitting your phd? I am also in need of genuine answers from a person like you. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021

Hi. We can also join any college/university within the 90 days period (if we get the admission) while the study permit is still valid and update the new DLI in the IRCC profile. Am I right?