Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
While my PR application is in its final stages, i am planning my first landing and what to do when i land. Planning to permanently settle mid 2014, but planning a short 1-2 week trip once the PR is done to get "settled" in Canada. Planned to schedule, and get the below points sorted, anything else i should get done (looking for things that normally takes a few months, that can be "processed" and be ready when i finally make my perm move)

1. Credit card Vancity or Capital one (heard about these to build credit in exchange for deposit)

2. Bank account

3. Driver licence (have US licence, so can just exchange it i think)

4. Cell phone

5. SIN Card (social insurance number) “nationwide”

6. Health Card (Provincial)

7. Public Library Card

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finding a job or a place to live should be a higher priority than credit card and health card.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

browntrout said:
While my PR application is in its final stages, i am planning my first landing and what to do when i land. Planning to permanently settle mid 2014, but planning a short 1-2 week trip once the PR is done to get "settled" in Canada. Planned to schedule, and get the below points sorted, anything else i should get done (looking for things that normally takes a few months, that can be "processed" and be ready when i finally make my perm move)

1. Credit card Vancity or Capital one (heard about these to build credit in exchange for deposit)

2. Bank account

3. Driver licence (have US licence, so can just exchange it i think)

4. Cell phone

5. SIN Card (social insurance number) “nationwide”

6. Health Card (Provincial)

7. Public Library Card
1. No, Canadian address unlikely to get a credit card.
2. You can open the account.
3. Correct you can just exchange, but you better get a letter from your insurer in the format required by ICBC if you want the discount:http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-insurance/discount-for-new
4. Wait until you have a Canadian address.
5. You go to a Service Canada office, with your COPR and they will give you your no. but they require an address to mail it.
6. Not eligible until you have resided in BC for 3 months.
7. Again you need an address.

MyCanadaPlan

Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Finding a job or a place to live should be a higher priority than credit card and health card.
-I kindly disagree, each settlement experience is unique and each person/family has competing priorities.
-I provide pre-arrival settlement services at mycanadaplan.com - check it out, as well as my blog for some information on things to think about before coming to Canada.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
MyCanadaPlan said:
-I kindly disagree, each settlement experience is unique and each person/family has competing priorities.
-I provide pre-arrival settlement services at mycanadaplan.com - check it out, as well as my blog for some information on things to think about before coming to Canada.
totally agree, in my case i already have a job and a house there, hence i am not listing them as urgent on my list. And my house came with an address..

So only issue might be the health card then (someone mentioned you have to reside for 3 months prior) how would they know though? Anyhow, the whole purpose for this thread / and my "short" settlement trip there is to deal with thing like this, things like this when you apply takes 2-3 months to come into effect. Then, when i finally move in mid 2014 all is done.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
browntrout,

they can find out that you have been in BC for 3 months easily,don't be surprised.hence do not think about anything else ;)beside residing there for 3 months then applying for health card.
in Alberta the health coverage starts from day one you moved into the province :p

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
browntrout said:
So only issue might be the health card then (someone mentioned you have to reside for 3 months prior) how would they know though?
They have their ways of finding out. You don't want to mess with MSP (BC health). They have been known for cancelling peoples coverage retroactively if they find out about such things and backcharging them for expenses paid. There may also be fraud charges on top.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Leon said:
They have their ways of finding out. You don't want to mess with MSP (BC health). They have been known for cancelling peoples coverage retroactively if they find out about such things and backcharging them for expenses paid. There may also be fraud charges on top.
not trying to scam them, just wanted to let them know that i have "arrived" to start my 3 month period during this short week i am visiting Canada as soon as my PR documents are ready. In effect, landing, and signing up with address in Canada etc, then returning back here to finishing packing etc, that should still be counted towards my 3 months time i think? I mean, you are allowed to travel during your first 3 months in Canada right?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
browntrout said:
not trying to scam them, just wanted to let them know that i have "arrived" to start my 3 month period during this short week i am visiting Canada as soon as my PR documents are ready. In effect, landing, and signing up with address in Canada etc, then returning back here to finishing packing etc, that should still be counted towards my 3 months time i think? I mean, you are allowed to travel during your first 3 months in Canada right?
If you want to know if there are rules against leaving during your 3 month waiting period and for how long, you should ask MSP. I am sure they did not decide on having a waiting period with the idea that you could land 3 months early, go home and come back when your waiting period is up ;)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
browntrout said:
If you're not planning to settle until mid-2014, then you won't be able to start counting your three months until you arrive in mid-2014. So no - the 1-2 weeks you will spend in Canada this year won't be counted towards the three month waiting period. You should wait until you return in mid-2014 to apply. Yes - you are allowed to travel outside of Canada during your first 3 months in Canada but for no more than 30 days. You're going to exceed that by far.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html#who

When does Coverage Begin?
New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the wait period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
If you're not planning to settle until mid-2014, then you won't be able to start counting your three months until you arrive in mid-2014. So no - the 1-2 weeks you will spend in Canada this year won't be counted towards the three month waiting period. You should wait until you return in mid-2014 to apply. Yes - you are allowed to travel outside of Canada during your first 3 months in Canada but for no more than 30 days. You're going to exceed that by far.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html#who

When does Coverage Begin?
New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the wait period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.
Browntrout,
You'd also have to find a way to pay your premiums during your absence. Should you decide to register with BC MSP early in contravention of the rules, an even if you managed to register on the first or second day of your visit, you wouldn't receive your first statement in the mail prior to your departure. By the time you finally do return you might have 2 or 3 bills past due and since you'll be a brand-new enrollee, they might cancel coverage for non-payment.

There's also the issue of BC Fair PharmaCare (the provincial prescription drug plan) enrollment to consider. Fair PharmaCare is an income-based plan and is normally the primary payer (employer-provided and privately-procured prescription plans are normally secondary). Fair PharmaCare has an annual deductible and pays a percentage of prescription drug costs once the deductible has been met. There's also an out-of-pocket maximum cap, and when this out-of-pocket cap is met Fair PharmaCare pays 100% of prescription costs. Thankfully, any secondary plan(s) you have (including employer plans) will pick up a big chunk of costs (mine plan pays 90%) until you've met the Fair PharmaCare deductible and then will pay the % share that Fair PharmaCare does not. To give you an idea of actual figures, the amounts for a family with an annual net income of $30,000 are $600 annual deductible, 70% payment share, and an annual Family Maximum of $900. For a family with a net income of $45,000, the amounts are $1300, 70% and $1750. For a net income of $60,000 the amounts are $1800, 70%, $2400. As they net income level increases, so do the deductible and Family Maximums. At some point for high earners (not sure at what income level) the Fair PharmaCare benefit drops to zero. There is no premium or other cost associated with Fair PharmaCare.

Here's the problem ... unless you want to pay for all prescription costs on your own, enrollment in BC Fair PharmaCare is pretty much mandatory. Even if you have an employer-sponsored plan, it'll likely refuse to pay any costs unless you first enroll in BC Fair PharmaCare (remember, other insurance is secondary). Enrollment is easy ... it can be done with a 15-minute phone call, and all family members must be enrolled simultaneously, but you'll need to following in order to do so:
  • 1. BC MSP CareCard numbers for you an all family members.
  • 2. Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) for you and all family members.

In order to verify incomes, BC Fair PharmaCare uses the amounts from your federal income tax return from two years ago. For someone enrolling today (2013), the amounts would be based on the 2011 income tax return. Since you will be newly arriving in Canada, Fair PharmaCare will be unable to find a return for you when it tries to verify the income amount you specify when it checks with the CRA. About two weeks after enrolling, you'll receive a letter from Fair PharmaCare telling you it couldn't find your tax return for the 2011 tax year and that you should file one with the CRA immediately, and that failure to comply will result in cancellation of Fair PharmaCare coverage 60 days from the date of the letter. However, the letter will also mention that for newly-landed PRs (who obviously haven't filed returns prior to their arrival in Canada), they can base income amounts on their world-wide income (your home-country tax return) amounts. Fortunately, the form on the flip-side of the letter you receive is used to declare these income amounts and the form must signed by all adult family members, in front of a BC notary public who will notarize the declaration and affix his/her official seal.

Incidentally, you'll have to submit the same form again the following year with updated figures, since coverage is based on two-year old income data. When Fair PharmaCare tries to once again establish your income/benefit amounts (it does this annually) it will once again not find a tax return, and you'll receive another letter from them. As before, you'll have to have the form notarized before returning it to them. In subsequent years, the annual recheck will be automatic and should be completely transparent to you, since they'll find the pertinent tax return of file with the CRA from then on. All you'll receive is a letter informing you of your new deductibles and cap (if your income changes significantly).

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
To avoid high insurance rates and a beginner's card, you have to prove you've had a U.S. license for at least two years. Often the 'issued' date is enough for this, but if it's not, try to find some other evidence of driving history.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
on-hold said:
To avoid high insurance rates and a beginner's card, you have to prove you've had a U.S. license for at least two years. Often the 'issued' date is enough for this, but if it's not, try to find some other evidence of driving history.
yeah, i'm hoping the issue date would be enough, my US licence was issued in 2009 by state of new york (prior licence to that was a state of hawaii licence issued in 2004). I contacted ICBC a while back, and they told me that they had a system where they could look up the US history if needed. Good, but hopefully not needed. I tried to get a "history" from the US DMV, but the only thing i got was a "drivers abstract" which only shows violations (if you have any) and not length of holding the licence.