+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions Upon entering Canada with your new visa

0hCanada

Feb 16, 2015
Hi all, I was fortunate to receive my Visa and eagerly await to go to Canada, but I have a few questions...

1) Originally I had applied to visit for a few weeks, however now I would like to stay a bit longer (2 months) and I will be staying with my fiances family. Will they have a problem with that? What should I tell customs?

2) I will be accompanied by my fiance from Mexico to Canada (he is Canadian). When they call us should we go up only one at a time and pretend like we dont know each other, or can we both go up at the same time?

3) We are flying from Cancun (Mexico) to Saskatoon (Canada) but have a stopover in Toronto where we switch planes, will I have to go through the questioning process twice?

Maybe Im just over thinking things but I just dont want to have any issues!!! Thanks in advance :D

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
0hCanada said:
1) Originally I had applied to visit for a few weeks, however now I would like to stay a bit longer (2 months) and I will be staying with my fiances family. Will they have a problem with that? What should I tell customs?
No, just be honest and prepare to show evidence.

0hCanada said:
2) I will be accompanied by my fiance from Mexico to Canada (he is Canadian). When they call us should we go up only one at a time and pretend like we dont know each other, or can we both go up at the same time?
There is a line for PR and Canadians and another one for visitors. You can't go together.

Sometimes the option arises (in Pearson is unlikely), but then you don't count as family so each one have to go on their own.

0hCanada said:
3) We are flying from Cancun (Mexico) to Saskatoon (Canada) but have a stopover in Toronto where we switch planes, will I have to go through the questioning process twice?
No, just in the international flight.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although there are may be separate lanes (not all airports and border crossing) for citizens and visitors, a citizen may accompany the visitor in the same lane. It is advisable that your fiance goes in the same lane as you so he can answer questions if necessary.

You will be asked how long you are staying and you could say anything between 1 day and 180 days. You will most likely be given 6 months even if you answer 2 months. You will go thru this at port of entry only.