+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding spousal sponsorship

Rosey520

Aug 10, 2009
Since we're weighing the options between the work visa and the spousal visa I've decided to break the questions regarding each into two seperate posts. From what I've read on the CIC website this seems to be the simpler of the two, however I still have a few questions specific to our situation.

1. Under the section " You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:" one of the stipulations is "received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability" .... I received OSAP years ago and I'm still paying it back, as well as being on social assistance over 10 yrs ago for a short time. Do these two things make me ineligible ???

2. If we get married while he's here as a visitor and then start the app. process for the spousal visa are his 2 boys able to attend school while the paperwork is being processed or would it better for them to stay in school in the US until everything's done and then sponsor them into Canada ?

3. Just to clarify... I know he can't work until Stage 1 is completed and the application for the work permit has to go with the first part of the application but I want to make absolutely sure we can do this from Canada and he won't have to leave before it's completed.

Although the CIC website is a wealth of information after reading so many pages is seems to melt into one big overload...

thanks again for the advice !

blackfoot_69

Aug 10, 2009
Hi All,

I am Rosey520's fiancee, I thought of another question. After we are married, if we decide to let my children remain in the States to finish the school year while the Visa process is taking place, will this make a difference in the amount of money she will have to make in a years time? For example: would she only have to make enough money to support herself and me until the work permit is approved at 6 months or would she still have to show enough funds to support a family of 4 (Herself, me and my 2 children)?

Thank you for your help.

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
I cant answer all your questions, but if you are married, and appy outland, you do not need to provide financials at all. OSAP is not a problem and as long as you are not on welfare NOW.
Keep in mind outland is much quicker, you can apply outland and he can be in Canada. (but no work permit until he recieves PR)
I do not believe his children could go to school until after PR, they can land to activate their PR but return to the US and finish the year there.

sorry that is the best I can help

Rosey520

Aug 10, 2009
Cdnshaz, ty for your reply. I can't believe how much I've learned since I started doing the research to make this possible ! Regarding the children being enrolled in school, according to the Education Act (Ontario) they can attend school regardless of a parent's immigration status. I found the following website last night which explains it.

http://settlement.org/sys/link_redirect.asp?doc_id=1004528

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
WEll there ya go, kids can go to school, will there be any problem with the non custodial parent? You will need their consent.

Rosey520

Aug 10, 2009
Their mother has signed papers stating the fact she knows and is alright with the fact they'll be here as well as visitation details ect.