+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions regarding PR card....for first time....application...??

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

I just landed in toronto two weeks ago and gave a mailing address for the PR card,I wish someone can answer my following inquireis:

1- at time of landing the processing time on CIC website was 51 days not its 57 days and it will keep going up weekly,so what time will apply on me,the current updated time or the one was shown at time of landing?.

2- lets assume,it will take 51 days ,is that an exact time or just an average,that is to say,might it take less that 51 days to get the PR card.

3- when can I say that my landing papers for PR card are all ok,if a month passes for example,that mean CIC approved our documents and they wont request some updates,like signature or new personal photos?.

4- suppose I went out of canada,before getting our PR card,can my friend send the cards to us by courier,i heard the courier service personnel will physically examine the package and if he sees those cards s/he will refuse to send it,is that correct?..

5-as far as I know to keep our PR status we can stay 3 years out of 5 years outside canada,is that correct?...becuz a friend of mine who lives in canada,told me now the authorities now put new rules and policies to counter such immigrants who live outside canada for long times,i tried to look it up the net ,but I couldnt find anything related to PR card holders new limitation times to be out of canada,,,so anyone can verify that...?

6-if I go out of canada without PR, can I apply for Temporarily travel PR card? if yes?...what are the requirements?...for how many entry times its valid?...and how long doest it take to get one?...from where to apply for it....from my home country`s canadian embassy or from inside canada?....

Best regards.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Whatever it says now / current.
2. This should be the exact processing time in days assuming there are no issues with the application. You will need to tack on a few additional days for mailing.
3. Once you receive your PR card. If the processing time for your card stretches to several weeks past the stated processing time, it's possible there's a problem.
4. Yes - your friend can send your PR card to you outside of Canada. No issues doing this.
5. You must live in Canada for two years out of every rolling 5 years to maintain your PR status. This is the only rule.
6. You can only apply for a TD from outside of Canada. I believe the processing time is typically a few weeks. A TD is valid for one entry into Canada.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Don't trust the timelines so much. My wife and child landed together in 2010. My child's PR card arrived in 40 days, my wife's took something like 70 days.

There can be issues with your photograph as well (happened to me, happens to many people) in which case, you will be informed later and you'll need to personally submit new photographs at that time to get your first PR card.

But yes, if you happened to find yourself outside Canada without a PR card, you can get a travel document which is basically a single entry visa stamped in your passport.