+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding PR application - getting started

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
Dear community,

I`m ready to apply for permanent residence through common-law sponsoring (my girlfriend sponsoring me).
I`ve been living with her in Canada for 12 months now. For that duration, I`ve had an open work permit. Now (15 months in), I have a Visitor Extension, which will expire in 4 months. My goal is to become a permanent resident of Canada eventually. In the meantime, I`d like to work here. Hence, I`d like to apply for PR along with an open work permit.

So far, I`ve read both the basic and complete guide. Unfortunately, I wasn`t able to get all my questions answered. I`d appreciate if you guys could help me out!

(1) General Questions:
  1. All documents need to be filled out electronically / validated (if applicable) / printed out / sent by mail in an envelope, right?
  2. Should the application be sent by regular mail or a courier service? What is safer?
  3. Once I`m asked to submit police certificate(s): Which countries will I have to include? It says "You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.". That would be Switzerland and Canada for me (I`ve lived in Canada for 15 months now). So, do I need a police certificate from Canada aswell?
  4. Will I have to apply for anything else but the PR application and the open work permit in order to stay here legally until I receive an update? Will I still be under implied status once my Visitor Extension expires and I didn`t receive my open work permit yet?
  5. Which form do I need for the open work permit (is it IMM5710e?). If so, on page 1, point 3: which of the 4 options applies to me? Would it be "an initial work permit or a work permit witha new employer", "restoration of your status as a worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit" or "A work permit with the same employer" ? I`m confused by the terminology here. I`ve had an IEC open work permit already before my Visitor extension. So, I guess it would be "restoration of your status as a worker"?

(2) Questions about form IMM5589 (document checklist), page 4, point 1:
  1. Regarding birth certificates: Who is meant with "all family members"? Would this apply to my parents / siblings (which do not intend to come to Canada), or only the people being sponsored (only me)?
  2. Regarding "national identity cards": I have dual citizenship (Germany and Bulgaria), which means that I have a German passport & ID and Bulgarian passport & ID. Which of those do I need copies of?
  3. "If you reside in a country different from your nationality, include a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside {...}". Question: I`ve been living in Canada for the past 15 months (now on Visitor Extension), and I`ve lived in Switzerland before (however, I`m still registered in Switzerland as a Swiss resident). Does that mean that I currently reside in Canada or in Switzerland? I have both the Canadian Visitor Extension Record that I could show, as well as my Swiss resident permit. Which one is applicable?
  4. Do I need an English translation of the copies of my birth certificate and family booklet in case no English translation is already included in the documents?

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate you taking the time and helping me out!

Ferdinand

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Dear community,

I`m ready to apply for permanent residence through common-law sponsoring (my girlfriend sponsoring me).
I`ve been living with her in Canada for 12 months now. For that duration, I`ve had an open work permit. Now (15 months in), I have a Visitor Extension, which will expire in 4 months. My goal is to become a permanent resident of Canada eventually. In the meantime, I`d like to work here. Hence, I`d like to apply for PR along with an open work permit.

So far, I`ve read both the basic and complete guide. Unfortunately, I wasn`t able to get all my questions answered. I`d appreciate if you guys could help me out!

(1) General Questions:
  1. All documents need to be filled out electronically / validated (if applicable) / printed out / sent by mail in an envelope, right?
  2. Should the application be sent by regular mail or a courier service? What is safer?
  3. Once I`m asked to submit police certificate(s): Which countries will I have to include? It says "You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.". That would be Switzerland and Canada for me (I`ve lived in Canada for 15 months now). So, do I need a police certificate from Canada aswell?
  4. Will I have to apply for anything else but the PR application and the open work permit in order to stay here legally until I receive an update? Will I still be under implied status once my Visitor Extension expires and I didn`t receive my open work permit yet?
  5. Which form do I need for the open work permit (is it IMM5710e?). If so, on page 1, point 3: which of the 4 options applies to me? Would it be "an initial work permit or a work permit witha new employer", "restoration of your status as a worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit" or "A work permit with the same employer" ? I`m confused by the terminology here. I`ve had an IEC open work permit already before my Visitor extension. So, I guess it would be "restoration of your status as a worker"?

1. Regarding birth certificates: Who is meant with "all family members"? Would this apply to my parents / siblings (which do not intend to come to Canada), or only the people being sponsored (only me)?
  2. Regarding "national identity cards": I have dual citizenship (Germany and Bulgaria), which means that I have a German passport & ID and Bulgarian passport & ID. Which of those do I need copies of?
  3. "If you reside in a country different from your nationality, include a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside {...}". Question: I`ve been living in Canada for the past 15 months (now on Visitor Extension), and I`ve lived in Switzerland before (however, I`m still registered in Switzerland as a Swiss resident). Does that mean that I currently reside in Canada or in Switzerland? I have both the Canadian Visitor Extension Record that I could show, as well as my Swiss resident permit. Which one is applicable?
  4. Do I need an English translation of the copies of my birth certificate and family booklet in case no English translation is already included in the documents?

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate you taking the time and helping me out!

Ferdinand
------

(1) General Questions:

Will advice you send the application by registered courier, so you have a tracking number and know when exactly it was received.

1. Once I`m asked to submit police certificate(s): Which countries will I have to include? It says "You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.". That would be Switzerland and Canada for me (I`ve lived in Canada for 15 months now). So, do I need a police certificate from Canada aswell?
You will need police certificate from any country you have lived for at least 6 months.

So you will need police certificate from Canada and from Switzerland if you lived there for at least 6 months.

1. Will I have to apply for anything else but the PR application and the open work permit in order to stay here legally until I receive an update? Will I still be under implied status once my Visitor Extension expires and I didn`t receive my open work permit yet?
Will advice that you apply for the PR sponsorship immediately during when your visa is still valid.

You can apply for an open work permit when you apply for permanent residence.

Refer…Working section…..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada

1. Which form do I need for the open work permit (is it IMM5710e?). If so, on page 1, point 3: which of the 4 options applies to me? Would it be "an initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer", "restoration of your status as a worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit" or "A work permit with the same employer" ? I`m confused by the terminology here. I`ve had an IEC open work permit already before my Visitor extension. So, I guess it would be "restoration of your status as a worker"?
Not very sure about this, but seems like restoration in your case.

Will advice you refer to the guide…….
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#restoration

This applies to only to people been sponsored….so you and your dependent children whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not.

This does not apply to your parents and siblings.

1. Regarding "national identity cards": I have dual citizenship (Germany and Bulgaria), which means that I have a German passport & ID and Bulgarian passport & ID. Which of those do I need copies of?
Will advice you include both if available…better to honestly provide information related to your identification, don't not hide any information to avoid any future issues.

1. "If you reside in a country different from your nationality, include a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside {...}". Question: I`ve been living in Canada for the past 15 months (now on Visitor Extension), and I`ve lived in Switzerland before (however, I`m still registered in Switzerland as a Swiss resident). Does that mean that I currently reside in Canada or in Switzerland? I have both the Canadian Visitor Extension Record that I could show, as well as my Swiss resident permit. Which one is applicable?
You have been residing in Canada for 15 months now and still residing in Canada.

Therefore, you currently reside in Canada and should present only a copy of the Canada visa.

1. Do I need an English translation of the copies of my birth certificate and family booklet in case no English translation is already included in the documents?
Unless told otherwise by IRCC, all supporting documents must be in English or French.

If it is not in English or French, you must send it with the English or French translation and an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and a certified photocopy of the original document.

Reactions: baniza

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
(1) General Questions:
1. Yes.

2. Whatever you use, make sure you have signed for tracking.

3. You don't need a Canadian PCC.

4. No, you don't need to apply for anything else.

5. Yes, IMM5710. Select "An intial work permit". Restoration is for people with no status.

1. Just you.

2. Include copies of all.

3. The country you currently reside in is the country that you are in.

4. If it is a required official document and is not in English, yes, you need to have it formally translated.

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
------

(1) General Questions:

Will advice you send the application by registered courier, so you have a tracking number and know when exactly it was received.

1. Once I`m asked to submit police certificate(s): Which countries will I have to include? It says "You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.". That would be Switzerland and Canada for me (I`ve lived in Canada for 15 months now). So, do I need a police certificate from Canada aswell?
You will need police certificate from any country you have lived for at least 6 months.

So you will need police certificate from Canada and from Switzerland if you lived there for at least 6 months.

1. Will I have to apply for anything else but the PR application and the open work permit in order to stay here legally until I receive an update? Will I still be under implied status once my Visitor Extension expires and I didn`t receive my open work permit yet?
Will advice that you apply for the PR sponsorship immediately during when your visa is still valid.

You can apply for an open work permit when you apply for permanent residence.

Refer…Working section…..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada

1. Which form do I need for the open work permit (is it IMM5710e?). If so, on page 1, point 3: which of the 4 options applies to me? Would it be "an initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer", "restoration of your status as a worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit" or "A work permit with the same employer" ? I`m confused by the terminology here. I`ve had an IEC open work permit already before my Visitor extension. So, I guess it would be "restoration of your status as a worker"?
Not very sure about this, but seems like restoration in your case.

Will advice you refer to the guide…….
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#restoration

This applies to only to people been sponsored….so you and your dependent children whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not.

This does not apply to your parents and siblings.

1. Regarding "national identity cards": I have dual citizenship (Germany and Bulgaria), which means that I have a German passport & ID and Bulgarian passport & ID. Which of those do I need copies of?
Will advice you include both if available…better to honestly provide information related to your identification, don't not hide any information to avoid any future issues.

1. "If you reside in a country different from your nationality, include a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside {...}". Question: I`ve been living in Canada for the past 15 months (now on Visitor Extension), and I`ve lived in Switzerland before (however, I`m still registered in Switzerland as a Swiss resident). Does that mean that I currently reside in Canada or in Switzerland? I have both the Canadian Visitor Extension Record that I could show, as well as my Swiss resident permit. Which one is applicable?
You have been residing in Canada for 15 months now and still residing in Canada.

Therefore, you currently reside in Canada and should present only a copy of the Canada visa.

1. Do I need an English translation of the copies of my birth certificate and family booklet in case no English translation is already included in the documents?
Unless told otherwise by IRCC, all supporting documents must be in English or French.

If it is not in English or French, you must send it with the English or French translation and an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and a certified photocopy of the original document.
Thank you very much for your answers, Wakki!

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
1. Yes.

2. Whatever you use, make sure you have signed for tracking.

3. You don't need a Canadian PCC.

4. No, you don't need to apply for anything else.

5. Yes, IMM5710. Select "An intial work permit". Restoration is for people with no status.

1. Just you.

2. Include copies of all.

3. The country you currently reside in is the country that you are in.

4. If it is a required official document and is not in English, yes, you need to have it formally translated.
Thank you very much for your answers, canuck_in_uk!

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
I appreciate the answers, guys!

One more question:

Do the letters from friends/family confirming the authenticity of our relationship need to be notarized?
It doesn`t say anything about that on the IMM5589 document checklist doc, but some people online say it`s neccessary. Do you know what`s true?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I appreciate the answers, guys!

One more question:

Do the letters from friends/family confirming the authenticity of our relationship need to be notarized?
It doesn`t say anything about that on the IMM5589 document checklist doc, but some people online say it`s neccessary. Do you know what`s true?
Follow the checklist. They don't need to be notarized.

baniza

Aug 9, 2017
Thank you.

Is there anything special that needs to be included in the letter? I`ll ask them to be as precise as possible in detailing:
- their relationship to me
- how they found out about my girlfriend / about myself
- their view of our relationship
- anything else?

Also, do they need to include their contact information in the letter, like phone number or adress?

Thanks, again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you.

Is there anything special that needs to be included in the letter? I`ll ask them to be as precise as possible in detailing:
- anything else?

Also, do they need to include their contact information in the letter, like phone number or adress?

Thanks, again!
They need to include full contact details.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Thank you.

- anything else?

Thanks, again!
Ask them to express from their point of view How and Why they know that the relationship you have with your partner is genuine rather than "their view of the relationship".