+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding mailing/residential address

Apr 27, 2016
Hi guys, so my situation is a little bit unique: I am a Canadian and my wife is Chinese. I went back to china to marry her in Oct 2015, and stayed there until March of 2016 because i didn't want to leave her and she had no status to come to Canada.

Last month, March 2016, we came to US on visitor visa. After travelling around, we are planning to apply for student visa for her to stay in the US and study English. Of course, we haven't applied yet and its unknown whether she will get the student visa. I am here most of the time with her, with occasional trips back to Canada if I have business to take care of.

Now i am submitting my family sponsorship application, because ultimately we want to live in Canada permanently and was wondering about the following:
Should I put down her Chinese or US address for her mailing address? Should I put down her Chinese or US address for her residential address? I would like to prevent the case that if we are needed to have an interview, and its in the China office while we are still in the US.

Also, for myself, am I considered a resident of Canada or not? Or should i indicate that I am not a resident, but plan to return to live in Canada once the PR goes through?

Thanks alot in advance!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
braveheart0707 said:
Hi guys, so my situation is a little bit unique: I am a Canadian and my wife is Chinese. I went back to china to marry her in Oct 2015, and stayed there until March of 2016 because i didn't want to leave her and she had no status to come to Canada.

Last month, March 2016, we came to US on visitor visa. After travelling around, we are planning to apply for student visa for her to stay in the US and study English. Of course, we haven't applied yet and its unknown whether she will get the student visa. I am here most of the time with her, with occasional trips back to Canada if I have business to take care of.

Now i am submitting my family sponsorship application, because ultimately we want to live in Canada permanently and was wondering about the following:
Should I put down her Chinese or US address for her mailing address? Should I put down her Chinese or US address for her residential address? I would like to prevent the case that if we are needed to have an interview, and its in the China office while we are still in the US.

Also, for myself, am I considered a resident of Canada or not? Or should i indicate that I am not a resident, but plan to return to live in Canada once the PR goes through?

Thanks alot in advance!
If your wife is legally residing in the US and is there on something other than a tourist vis (student visa fo example) then her residential address is the US. As would be her mailing address. For example, I am british in Australia on a student visa - my residential address is Australia.

However, if she is just visiting the US, then her residential address is actually in China where her belongings are.

If you have been living outside of Canada for an extended period of time then you are not resident in Canada. You will need to provide proof of intent to return to Canada on completion of the PR application, which if you have a business there, wont be hard to prove.

hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2016
Gary_87 said:
If your wife is legally residing in the US and is there on something other than a tourist vis (student visa fo example) then her residential address is the US. As would be her mailing address. For example, I am british in Australia on a student visa - my residential address is Australia.

However, if she is just visiting the US, then her residential address is actually in China where her belongings are.

If you have been living outside of Canada for an extended period of time then you are not resident in Canada. You will need to provide proof of intent to return to Canada on completion of the PR application, which if you have a business there, wont be hard to prove.

hope this helps.
I see. so while she is here on visitor visa, should her mailing address be US instead of china then?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Her mailing address can be anywhere that is convenient for her to receive mail. If you think she will get a study visa, it will be fine to use the US address. You could also use your Canadian address, if you have a permanent home here.

BamBamBing

Star Member
Jun 3, 2010
App. Filed.......
End of March
Doc's Request.
End of April and End of May
AOR Received.
Mid-April
File Transfer...
Mid-May
Med's Done....
Mid-May
Just a note to keep in mind her application will be processed in China as the USA tourist visa doesn't allow to legally stay in the US for 1 year.

Where the application will be processed:

- the country where the applicant is residing, if the applicant has been lawfully admitted to that country for at least one year; or

- the applicant’s country of nationality, or if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence other than a country where they are residing without having been lawfully admitted

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op01-eng.pdf (Page 17)

Apr 27, 2016
BamBamBing said:
Just a note to keep in mind her application will be processed in China as the USA tourist visa doesn't allow to legally stay in the US for 1 year.

Where the application will be processed:

- the country where the applicant is residing, if the applicant has been lawfully admitted to that country for at least one year; or

- the applicant’s country of nationality, or if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence other than a country where they are residing without having been lawfully admitted
(Page 17)
Thank you sir!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
You can have a "residential" address anywhere, even if you are visiting. They don't mean the legal term for "resident" in this case, they are referring to your current living address.