+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding landing in Quebec from the USA (US Citizen)

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014
Hi all,

I am a US citizen who is immigrating to Quebec via the Quebec skilled worker program. I will be completing my landing in the next couple of weeks and have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered here.

1) I have the required amount of funds for Quebec (roughly $3K) but not the $10K required by Canada. I signed a contract for Quebec stating I would have the amount they require. Is that ok? If I am landing at a Quebec crossing, will they be looking for proof of the Canada amount or proof of the Quebec amount? Or will they look for proof at all? Are copies of my bank statements sufficient as proof of funds?

2) My plan is to complete the landing when I head up to Quebec for vacation this summer, since I only have until September to do so. I typically spend three weeks in Quebec City visiting friends, which I still plan to do. However, I plan to turn around after that time and return to the US to teach for one more year before settling in Quebec. In this case, what do I tell them at the border regarding my personal belongings? I will only have what I need for vacation, as well as my two cats with me this summer. I will have my current car, but I plan on buying a new one next year before I move. Do I have to import my current car, if I don't have any intention of registering it in Canada? Is there any problem with me not registering it in Canada, if I will be back to visit a couple of times between now and next summer? I obviously have to keep it registered in my home state while I still live there.

3) What should my list of possessions look like. I believe I was told by another friend that has completed the US-Quebec immigration that I just need to list serial numbers of appliances and electronics, as well as the number of boxes of personal items. Is that the case, or do I need to document every single item?

4) Lastly, what can I expect at the landing? I was planning to just stop and complete it on my way into the country. If I am traveling with pets, is this a bad idea? Am I better off driving to Quebec City as a tourist and then coming back to the border to do a U-turn to process? Or should I make an appointment in advance? I will be landing at Derby Line/Standstead.

Thank you in advance for your help! :) Sorry for all the questions!

dcarey

Dec 3, 2013
I would like to top this post in search of an answer for question #3!!

3) What should my list of possessions look like. I believe I was told by another friend that has completed the US-Quebec immigration that I just need to list serial numbers of appliances and electronics, as well as the number of boxes of personal items. Is that the case, or do I need to document every single item?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
1. i don't know about proof of funds, so hopefully someone else can help you

2. to declare your personal belongings you need to fill out a B4 goods form and the supplemental B4A form if you need more room. if you intend to bring goods later, then you need to check the boxes on these forms that say "goods to follow". as long as you claim these things at your landing you will not have to pay duties or taxes on them when you do bring them over. i believe you have 10 years to bring goods to follow to canada. IF you don't intend on importing your car, then no you do not need to declare it or import it at landing. Car imports can happen after landing, just make sure the car is listed on the goods form. i am not sure how it works if you don't actually own the car before landing and declaring it as a good to follow. At that point, you may have to pay the duties and taxes on importing a car, though i'm not sure. The only "issue" to consider is your us insurance and whether they will cover you in Canada. Also, I believe quebec has a 6 mo. rule for exchanging driver's licenses and car registrations, so essentially you can't drive with your us stuff after 6 mo.

3. Again, you need to fill out the B4 and B4A forms. Yes electronics need to have the serial numbers declared on the form. As for boxes of items, you just need to be general, not specific. So if you have 2 boxes of clothing, you write "2 boxes of clothes", and give it a value. to find the forms, simply google, "B4 goods form for canada".

4. i don't think traveling with pets is an issue. there may be an extra step at landing because of the pet. i believe you need to have their papers and medical histories to bring them. Landing is pretty quick. You give them your paper, they ask the questions written on your COPR, you sign, they sign, they sign the paper for your goods, and let you on your way. the only "wait" would be waiting in line to actually "land".

swisscheese

Aug 8, 2014
3. In my recent experience, Customs is looking for things 1) of higher value (e.g. electronics) that were purchased in the last year or 2) things controlled in Canada (weapons, alcohol, tobacco, drugs). No one requested serial numbers on the B4 form.