+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on PR for a Kenyan to Canada

westendgirl

May 4, 2013
Hi There,

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if I have the correct information:

My boyfriend lives in Kenya and I in Canada (I am a Canadian Citizen). He has been denied a TRV twice, so the only option would be to apply as a PR.

We have not lived together, so I am under the assumption that we could live outside of Canada together for 1 year and then apply for PR after the 1 year as common-law (don't want to get married just yet and assume also that we would be flagged anyways because his TRV was just denied twice)....

My questions:

1. Do we have to live together for the full year and then apply for PR? Or could I move there and then we apply right away?
2. I assume it would be best to apply for the PR while we are in Kenya?
3. Once we apply for the PR, I took a look at the processing times, and see that it states 29 months in Kenya.... does that mean that after we live together for 1 year, I would have to move back to Canada once we apply for the PR and then he would have to stay in Kenya for the 29 months or whenever the PR has been processed?

I have just started looking into to this, so I am hoping someone would be so kind to clarify the process for me...

Thank you so much!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
westendgirl said:
1. Do we have to live together for the full year and then apply for PR? Or could I move there and then we apply right away?
You must live together 1 full year to first qualify as common-law, and THEN send in the application. You can't send it in even a day before the 1-year mark.

You could apply while in any country in the world, or after you establish common-law you could move back to Canada and apply from here while he stays in Kenya.

3. Once we apply for the PR, I took a look at the processing times, and see that it states 29 months in Kenya.... does that mean that after we live together for 1 year, I would have to move back to Canada once we apply for the PR and then he would have to stay in Kenya for the 29 months or whenever the PR has been processed?
You are allowed to be in Canada while the application is in progress. Or you could stay in Kenya, it's up to you.

The 29 months is more a worst-case scenario for most of the applications. Most are done much quicker. There is probably a thread on this site dedicated to Kenya site, so best for you to check there what the actual times are. However he would not be able to come to Canada until the entire application was completed and approved.

Also, how long have you been in a relationship so far? If it's been a while, then perhaps you could also look at moving to Kenya for maybe 6 months or so, and then getting married and applying as spouses. This way you wouldn't have to wait the full year to become common-law. The denied TRVs could be a concern, but the longer the relationship in general the more genuine the marriage would be.

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/nairobi-applicants-2013-t130142.0.html

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
1 - you have to live together for 1 year, to qualify as common-law. Once you qualify, you can apply indeed.
2 - are you are a citizen, you can be outside of Canada, or in Canada when you send the application. You can stay out of Canada the whole time if you don't want to be separated from your boyfriend.
3 - Nairobi has a stated time of 29 months but quite a few people get done before that. So if you have a complete, straightforward, well documented application, it will speed up the process. It's worth spending more time to prepare your application.
As you are a citizen ( and not a PR), as stated, you can stay outside of Canada. So you can move to Kenya now, live together for 1 year, apply for PR, and keep on living in Kenya. Then when the PR is issued, you can move back to Canada, with your partner.

THe fact that the TRV have been denied is not a red flag in your case - it shows that he has tried to come to Canada to see you. If you move to Kenya, and live together for 12 months, you will probably be processed faster - because what CIC is looking for is the fact that your relationship is genuine... you moving to Kenya and living together for 12 months is a very good proof! jsut start gathering all the documents etc, keep flights tickets, get a lease together ( you will need to prove that you actually live together), and in 1 year, apply. Don't apply before you lived together 1 year - your application will be returned.

Get familiar with the forms and everything you need, so it's easier to put everything together.

If you live outside of Canada when you apply, you will have to prove that you intend to go back to Canada once the PR is approved. You can get letters from friends and family stating that they know that you are moving once the PR is approved, if you discuss (when getting closer to applying) how you will mvoe back etc - keep the emails, print them. Keep a Canadian bank account, and add that as a proof.

The process is a bit daunting at first, but you'll do fine! and there is a Nairobi thread - you can have a look, it will give you a better idea of the timing : 29 months is the time it takes to process 80% of the applications, so you can be in the 20% that get processed in fewer months! ( there is a few applicants that got processed in under 4 months...).

If your case is straight forward (not previous sponsorship for you, etc), it's likely to go faster.
Good luck,
Sweden

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
westendgirl said:
Hi There,

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if I have the correct information:

My boyfriend lives in Kenya and I in Canada (I am a Canadian Citizen). He has been denied a TRV twice, so the only option would be to apply as a PR.

We have not lived together, so I am under the assumption that we could live outside of Canada together for 1 year and then apply for PR after the 1 year as common-law (don't want to get married just yet and assume also that we would be flagged anyways because his TRV was just denied twice)....

My questions:

I have just started looking into to this, so I am hoping someone would be so kind to clarify the process for me...

Thank you so much!
1. Yes you have to live together for a consecutive 12 months.
2. Outland is your only option if he cannot come to Canada. when your year is up or if you get married before that(if you decide months from now) you can apply right away while still in Kenya.
3. You do not have to move back to Canada to apply. You can stay with him the whole time(29 months).

There is a thread for Nairobi here. There is probably a lot of information you can get from that. I will fing the link for you and post it.

Also, there are many very helpful perople here to ask if your confused or unsure.
Take Care
MadeIncanada

westendgirl

May 4, 2013
Thank you so much everyone!

This really helps me a lot - great advice!

I will search for the Nairobi link, and will keep you posted!

Cheers!!