+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on IELTS? Ask me!

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
Could you please describe what the IELTS is like by section?
Hi,
I could try to describe the test but I believe the best description along with sample questions can be found here:
http://www.cambridgeesol.org/teach/ielts/

Hope it helps ...

mjsantos

Oct 5, 2008
wpc71,

How did u manage to get 8.5 in listening? I have been trying to get above 7.5 and I always get 7.0. I took it last week and I am pretty sure I got four wrong. However, I am confidence about the rest. Do u have an idea how many questions can I still get wrong if I am aiming 7.5 in listening?

Thanks.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
How did u manage to get 8.5 in listening? I have been trying to get above 7.5 and I always get 7.0. I took it last week and I am pretty sure I got four wrong. However, I am confidence about the rest. Do u have an idea how many questions can I still get wrong if I am aiming 7.5 in listening?
Hi, I think I had only one wrong answer or two at most. Tests are different when it comes to band score calculation but I guess with 36 correct answers you will get 7.5 or 8 on listening. Here is a very approximate estimation: Remember it is NOT exact and does not give you half bands.

http://www.ielts-blog.com/Calculate-Ielts-Result-Reading-Listening-Band-Score.html

Wish you the best...

mjsantos

Oct 5, 2008
I checked that. However, when you put down 34 corrected, it gives you 7 and when you put down 35, it gives you an 8. So, how do you get 7.5?

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
I checked that. However, when you put down 34 corrected, it gives you 7 and when you put down 35, it gives you an 8. So, how do you get 7.5?
I said, it does not give you half bands as I guess this is new with IELTS, they used to report whole bands before. So if you see such a thing, you can expect a 7.5! Again I emphasize, different tests have different conversion tables and those tables are NOT published.

Furqan

Star Member
Oct 28, 2008
At the end of cambridge IELTS book they have explained the score with half band. May be insight into IELTS?

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
I do not know this but even if so, they are good only for the tests in those books. You may use them for real tests but they will be approximate at best.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
Can you guide which centre is better (IDP or British council)?
There is no difference. All tests held on the same date around the world are the same regardless of location and organizing institution.

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
sanju1676 said:
Hi,

Can you guide which centre is better (IDP or British council)?
People say that the marking system is the same everywhere.It really does not matter whether anyone takes the ielts exam from the uk or india/idp or british council.I am not agreed with that.My friend took the ielts exam twice from the uk and he got 6 bands in each module.After that he went to India and took the exam from there.He got 7 bands overall without any preparation.I think the marking system especially writing and speaking are very tough in the UK.My friend told me the same as well.

Secondly, IELTS IDP listening is little bit easy compared to british council.

Eiasin

Jul 9, 2009
I have got in ielts listening=4.5
Reading=5.5
Writting=6.0
Speaking=5.0
Avarage band score=5.5

Am I eligible for canada immigration?

GoCanucksGo!

Sep 27, 2009
IELTS Mandatory?

hello wonderful people!

could someone please shed some light on this query re: this test?

if i can prove in writing (letters coming from my local and international employers) that i can listen and understand, write and speak english fluently, do i still have to take this english proficiency exam?

thanks very much for your time.

strong

Aug 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wpc71 said:
Hi all,
I just took the IELTS General on February 7th. If you have any questions related to preparation, test format, tips etc, I will be happy to help!

[/quote
Hi
could you let me know how much point is consider for high or moderate

points for listening moderate=?
'' '' speaking moderat =?
" " reading high=?
'' '' writing high=?
thanks

Waleed Ghauri

Sep 27, 2009
hey u pple i wana knw smethin bout the requirement of canadian embassy for pakistani students.........
sir i hve done O Levels nd scored B grade in english, which all the universities presnt thre require, and exempt me for showing IELTS score...... but i wana knw tht wts the embassy requiremnt........... r they rejecting the students without IELTS or not.............

if anybdy know plz plz plz do tel me...........

nd thank u in advance.........

Waleed Ghauri

Sep 27, 2009
yeh it is easy but wt actually i wana knw is tht...... do canadian embassy really requires ielts score....... nd not evn consider my B grade in O level english..........?

if anybdy knw plz plz plz plz plz do tell me.........